Phase II Inverter : 3.6kw : Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi,
Does anyone know the what the various settings on the 'charge cap' selector on a phase II inverter? Due to an unfortunate cock up on my part, the manual is unreadable :-(

Thanks
Roy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It sounds like it should be set to the battery bank size. That would depend upon the capacity of each battery and how many you have for calculating the battery bank size.

Is the manual not available on line?

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Yes that's what it is for. I can't find the manual online, so I was hoping some had a copy and could just let me know the 10 settings.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
10 settings?

Input Voltage
Output voltage
Batter bank size
Battery type
Low voltage trip

What else is there?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
charge current. CB.

I think the 10 settings are on one of the controls in this case.

Never heard of the inverter brand mentioned in the OP.

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
charge current. CB.

I think the 10 settings are on one of the controls in this case.

Never heard of the inverter brand mentioned in the OP.
Mine is set by battery type and voltage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Mine is set by battery type and voltage.

Mine have a separate setting potentiometer for charge current. The Platinum inverters sold by Inverluz/Megatone that are functional copies of the old TRACE DR1 series.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Talking about inverter. Anybody knows why my inverter, when charging, would suddenly go back to "Inversor mode" and send electricity in the house for a couple a seconds, and then continue charging ?? On and Off and On and Off....
Lately it's been doing that for about the first 3 hours after the power is back. Important to say that here in Sabaneta de Yasica, we have scheduled interruptions for 8 hours + per day... Usually in period of 4 hours.

Also, please note that the inverter is a 7.5Kw with 8 batteries, all of it 14 months old.

And please don't ask me any technical stuff... I'm a blonde and I know and understand nothing of that electrical stuff...

Thanks for the advice.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Talking about inverter. Anybody knows why my inverter, when charging, would suddenly go back to "Inversor mode" and send electricity in the house for a couple a seconds, and then continue charging ?? On and Off and On and Off....
Lately it's been doing that for about the first 3 hours after the power is back. Important to say that here in Sabaneta de Yasica, we have scheduled interruptions for 8 hours + per day... Usually in period of 4 hours.

Also, please note that the inverter is a 7.5Kw with 8 batteries, all of it 14 months old.

And please don't ask me any technical stuff... I'm a blonde and I know and understand nothing of that electrical stuff...

Thanks for the advice.
The voltage trip may be what causes that. Ours was set for 110 and tripped all the time. We lowered it to 105 and the constant tripping was minimal.

The DR has notoriously poor voltage regulation, running 5-10 volts under 110 more often or not.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Mine have a separate setting potentiometer for charge current. The Platinum inverters sold by Inverluz/Megatone that are functional copies of the old TRACE DR1 series.
We have a Megatone Platinum from 2010.

When I posted about it, folks laughed and mocked, you know, "cheap Dominican crap." Never one issue with it and now on the second set of batteries, two banks of 4 Trojan reds with a blade switch, one bank topped off by a wind genertor.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The voltage trip may be what causes that. Ours was set for 110 and tripped all the time. We lowered it to 105 and the constant tripping was minimal.

The DR has notoriously poor voltage regulation, running 5-10 volts under 110 more often or not.

CB is correct, probably short term voltage drops are happening frequently causing it to go into invert mode frequently. Try lowering that voltage setting and see if the problem stops.

If your voltage is constantly too low, it can cause problems for appliances, particularly those with pumps and compressors like refrigerators. So please have someone measure your line voltage and see where it normally sits.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
CB is correct, probably short term voltage drops are happening frequently causing it to go into invert mode frequently. Try lowering that voltage setting and see if the problem stops.

If your voltage is constantly too low, it can cause problems for appliances, particularly those with pumps and compressors like refrigerators. So please have someone measure your line voltage and see where it normally sits.
This is funny, because I keep a multimeter plugged into the socket next to my work desk all the time to see what the voltage is doing.

Our inverter is set for 120v output. It's amazing how much better the microwave works on 120 vs. 110 or 106...

I would say here the average voltage, based on observation, is 107. There may be a whole-house regulator in the works at Camp Moto on the 110 side (the a/c is 220.)

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Er, sorry but back to the original question, does anyone have the description of the 10 setting for the battery type/bank?

I found a Trace inverter that had a similar control so for example:
0 = charge off
1 = Gel USA
2 = AGM
etc

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Er, sorry but back to the original question, does anyone have the description of the 10 setting for the battery type/bank?

I found a Trace inverter that had a similar control so for example:
0 = charge off
1 = Gel USA
2 = AGM
etc

That is the battery type selector. Setting Number 7 is the charge profile setting for normal wet cell lead acid batteries on the old TRACE DR series and on the Megatone Platinum models. However, settings 0 and 1 are equalization mode settings for those inverters.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
OK, I got it sorted in the end. Found the manufacturer is in Santo Domingo and they sent me the manual :)

Seems the CAP dial is related to the number of batteries on the unit.

All sorted :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good. It makes sense that CAP stands for Capacity, which is related to the number of batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.