Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Passenger Trains in DR?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    How many rails are now missing from the SD metro???

And unlike the sugar industry rails, these are welded together all along the way...
    Including electronic sensors that will trigger a full break of the train if a gap is detected on the train's path 10 km ahead of the path of travel.
    I was not referring to the Metro. I was referring to the potential for inter-city railway systems. You underestimate your countrymen's abilities to work with.
    Last edited by windeguy; 08-03-2016 at 01:31 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to improve the north coast, I expect.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I was not referring to the Metro. I was referring to the potential for inter-city railway systems. You underestimate your countrymen's abilities to work with.
    You do understand the difference between iron and high strength steel rails? Right???
    The cutting wheels will be more costly than all the steel they get to cut away...

It's like cutting the butter knife with the butter stick itself...
    One Dominican at a time please!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Nothing to improve the north coast, I expect.
    That will be on the second phase of that hybrid rail system.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre of the Caribbean View Post
    Pichardo, any chance that passenger trains will return to the Dominican Republic?
    Cuba will have them first. Oh, I forgot, Cuba has had them for 60 years.

Couldn't resist . . .

The Cuban rail system is not in good shape by any means, but there are several trains daily that cross the ENTIRE country from Havana to Santiago, stopping at many cities.

And I can hear it already, "it's unreliable", "it's falling apart", "it's antiquated", bla, bla, bla . . .

Sure, it's all those things and worse, but let's see how long it actually takes to be able to board a train in Santo Domingo and travel directly to Puerto Plata.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    You do understand the difference between iron and high strength steel rails? Right???
    The cutting wheels will be more costly than all the steel they get to cut away...

It's like cutting the butter knife with the butter stick itself...
    Takes about 90 seconds with the correct tool.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

No access to power because the power company turned of the electricity? After all, this is the DR. Use a torch and cut through in less than 3 minutes with Oxy Propane:

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you prefer oxy acetylene?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You do realize that the materials cost to perform those actions in the DR far outranks the profits per linar foot cut away? Like I said in my post!

The other thing is that those rails you see getting cut, are not the ones in use nowadays in hybrid rail systems.
    The contact surfaces of the rails are not plain steel anylonger. You need a very expensive type of blade to cut it and it's only done by means of torch or plasma at a very high degree of heat unlike before.

If they used regular steel rails on hybrid systems, the wear and heat problems would make them impossible to upkeep.
    These alloys are far tougher to cut by conventional means as you posted examples of.

It just ain't gonna happen. Period.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The rails cut in the videos I show are not "ordinary" steel. They are the steel used to make rails.

What is the exact alloy used in these magical new rails, likely used only in the DR, and only able to be cut with alien technology and what is the Brindle hardness number of these rails?
    Harder than 400 HB?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast