Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: investors waiting for green light for 14 tourist projects in pedernales

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default investors waiting for green light for 14 tourist projects in pedernales

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/08/0...tos-pedernales

looks like this part on DR, pretty much untouched for now, may see some much needed development.

North Coast Moderator

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

There are no scheduled air routes to Pedernales or Barahona. The nearest commercial airport seems to be SDQ. Pedernales is a good six hours from SDQ by bus.
    The scenery past Barahona is great, but is is just a 2 lane road and not among the best.
    I am hoping to visit there in a month or two.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i see there is a small airport in barahona, has it ever been used for commercial flights? i wonder if it can be fixed or adapted for larger aircrafts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3...tional_Airport

North Coast Moderator

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am pretty sure it is the 4th longest runway in the country. There has been all sort of talk since I have been here (2001) about it opening for commercial flights. Here is a thread from DR1 2000.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...rport-Barahona

Matilda

Post Thanks / Like

it looks kinda good on google earth: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ma...!4d-71.1233807
    the potential is there.

North Coast Moderator

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freqexpat View Post
    At first glace that looks like an area with serious long term development opportunity.

Has anyone on the board physically been their and know the area? How is the beach quality in the Bay? Does it get good sun? Are the surrounding areas mountainous? Is the complete bay currently undeveloped?

Just curious.
    The south west is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the country. The mountains on one side the ocean the other. The drive from Barahona to Pedernales is said to be the best drive in the Caribbean. The beaches are rocky near Barahona, but Bahia de las Aguilas near Pedernales is one of the best beaches in the world.

matilda

8. Likes Tracym, badpiece33, Garyexpat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    The south west is, in my opinion, the most beautiful part of the country. The mountains on one side the ocean the other. The drive from Barahona to Pedernales is said to be the best drive in the Caribbean. The beaches are rocky near Barahona, but Bahia de las Aguilas near Pedernales is one of the best beaches in the world.

matilda
    But it's DRY and HOT down there. I don't mean a little arid and warm. Dry as in D-R-Y and HOT as in melt-your-hide-off-your-bones.

There is a reason why that area hasn't developed much: the hostile weather.

We will not go to the SW after April or before November.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freqexpat View Post
    Has anyone on the board physically been their and know the area? How is the beach quality in the Bay? Does it get good sun? Are the surrounding areas mountainous? Is the complete bay currently undeveloped?
    miesposo has been to pedernales/barahona several times. he says it is very beautiful but many roads are barely passable and people are very poor. there are almost zero employment opportunities there and life is harsh.
    there's also little development of any kind and not too many places to eat/stay.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't that a good target for tourism ?
    Undeveloped, labor pool standing by, good scenery ?-

CB's weather and heat comment notwithstanding.

Ski resorts are uniseasonal.....used to be
    It can be done.

I wish them luck

Following up on that
    I remember being in Aspen, late season..
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band was playing that week
    Temperature went to70F,,,, they closed in 2 days
    This was in the early 70's,,,, Aspen had no life beyond the ski hill
    Look at them now, Vail too

Everything is possible
    Last edited by william webster; 08-05-2016 at 07:12 PM.

12. Likes jstarebel liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post

matilda
    Agreed but perhaps with 'Warning not suitable for motorcycle tours in the summer'. But ideal for Casa Bonita and Rancho Platon and lesser establishment customers (but they are always full even in low season as was the case when I visited two weeks ago when the weather was 100 times more pleasant than Santo Domingo).

I think the variety astounds on the drive south to Pedernales. The turquoise sea extending out a hundred meters from the white pebble beaches in the main and cliffs with lush tropical mountains and valleys rising upwards from the coastline provides exceptional scenes. Even as you descend into Enriquillo you get more great vistas and then into the drier zone towards the border the landscape still captivates. But to get to the still undeveloped Bahia de Las Aquilas, it is a dirt road and the proposed infrastructure developments can only be positive along with the airport rehabilitation.

But most of all, it is still very Dominican and commercialization is still to arrive. For Dominicans this part of the world is a treasure and weekend trippers from all over the country visit.

If you are a traveler you will want to return and keep on exploring. I hope it never follows anything like the East Coast, and boutique hotels and spa resorts are favored along with small owner occupier hotels and even hostels serving a broad range of adventurous travelers seeking beach and much more. Some better quality small hotels in some places such as Pedernales (and La Descubierta) to accommodate expat travelers would probably work. Most visitors to Bahia de Las Aguilas have to make a 100km day trips from tourist standard hotels towards Barahona.

14. Likes Matilda liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast