Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: investors waiting for green light for 14 tourist projects in pedernales

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I thought just the opposite was true. Isn't Frank Ranieri involved in the big development in Bani area? To me, it was the toe in the South West waters, so to speak.
    Bani is barely in the SW. It's sorta kinda on the fringe of the arid region, and isn't that far from the population of Santo Domingo or the airport there. Bani is not Barahona or regions further south.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Bani is barely in the SW. It's sorta kinda on the fringe of the arid region, and isn't that far from the population of Santo Domingo or the airport there. Bani is not Barahona or regions further south.
    I realize that - I was referring to the fact that people from PC are investing there. It's certainly not Barahona, but it's the SW [some even consider San Cristobal to be SW, the entire province].

In my totally unresearched opinion, Bahia de las Aguilas holds the key to the entire SW's potential future. Time will tell, but that time might not be in my lifetime.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Like Matilda said the south west is a very beautiful and much different part of the DR. I love going to Barahona to relax and hang out for a day or so, I usually stay in a very nice small hotel on the cliffs overlooking the beach, its called playa azul The road after Barahoana is a winding one lane each way all the way to Perdonales so they would have to expand that road if they wanted to increase tourism but that would also take away alot of the regions charm, at least to myself

4. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Precision approaches are for sissys! Do a really loose right hand pattern. Fly over Bahia Las Aguilas go out to sea, turn right and line up on RWY 12. The view is breathtaking.
    Kinda like Saba island and Virgin Gorda. less than 10 pilots worldwide are approved to fly into Saba island, and VG is a great landing.. Banking left around a rocky cliff point as you lose altitude before coming right and setting down on a dirt landing strip on the beach.

6. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A problem with pebble beaches in the DR is they are not compatible with glass (beer) bottles like sand is.

The numerous times we've been to Los Patos & Paraiso (which is NOT Paraiso) is broken glass is everywhere, wedged between the pebbles. I've witnessed, every visit to the beach, someone getting their foot cut by glass---thankfully not one of our guests.

On the positive side, I give great kudos & props for the city fathers who were responsible for the great improvements to Los Patos over the years.

Oh, and I DO enjoy the sound created by the wave-on-pebble action...
    Give the broken glass some time, and you end up with a beach like these. http://traveltips.usatoday.com/sea-g...es-106573.html

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

A dam would be a necessary to support the water needs of increased tourism and a healthy starting point. There is very little water in the region. The aquaduct project to Barahona 12 years ago has not delivered the water it promised.

Individual desal units for resorts is a spendy & complex proposition.
    Desal systems are not spendy at all from a resorts perspective. Especially with BOO. Build, Own, Operate. The resorts just pay for the water. In fact, all of this new resort talk makes my mouth "water"..

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This aint going to happen in our lifetimes so lets all stop with the pipe dreams, The DR would be better served fixing up the north coast and making a 4 lane hwy from Santiago to Puerto Plata and also building a road between the north coast and San Juan De Maguana, if this were done then the South West part of the Country could truly be accessible and then you can start talking about resorts down there

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

More good publicity coming up on tv.......Cuerpos Hot 2016 in Barahona Province

http://www.diariolibre.com/revista/c...2016-HC4765779

...and we have been told its hot down there......

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i see there is a small airport in barahona, has it ever been used for commercial flights? i wonder if it can be fixed or adapted for larger aircrafts.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar%C3...tional_Airport
    Very doubtful that this would ever happen, except if there were flights within the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I can imagine. But as you know airlines won't fly into airports without one, even in a desert.
    Those days are disappearing now,
    All the nav systems can invent an RNAV approach for you.POP only has a non-precision VOR DME which gets you below the clouds but most use the RNAV approaches.
    The problem would be to get the approach calibrated, published and agreed to enable airlines to plan it as an all weather destination.
    Unlikely I think in Barahona, but its 10.000 foot runway at sea level can accept just about any type of plane.

As far as I know,only Las Americas and Santiago are equipped with ILS. (Instrument Landing System.) for precision approaches in low visibility conditions.
    Airlines really,really hate diversions...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234