Selling a car

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I see there are several threads about buying a car, but I can't find much info here about selling one. I am selling mine and a Dominican guy has agreed to buy it, paying cash next week. That's fine and we have agreed to go to my bank together to make sure the money is all good. He says he'll take care of the transfer to his name, which is also good as it save me trouble and expense. My only concern is that if he goes off into the sunset with my car and the old matricula, he could then not actually do the transfer and if there are any problems, such as the car is involved in an accident or crime, it could come back on me.

Any advice on this?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Go to his lawyer and take care of the paperwork with a proper bill of sale.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
As Windy says, there will have to be a bill of sale (acta de venta) drawn up by a lawyer and sometimes notarized, unless it's a dealer, as they have their own standard bills of sale already prepared. You cannot transfer the matricula in another name without one. The minimum you should ask for is a copy.

With your copy of the bill of sale and the descargo at DGII you should be good.

You will also need to provide a copy of the identification document of the person shown on the matricula. IE, if it's in your name you will need to supply a copy of both sides of your cedula or your passport.

jordan1010

Jan 16, 2017
Tips while selling a car:
1. take all the identification details of the customer
2. check for the police record
3. try to get to know the purpose for buying the car
4. Before selling, try for a casual visit to the customer's house with the customer's permission.
5. keep all the necessary car documents ready and keep a photocopy with yourself.

Hope this will help you!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I see there are several threads about buying a car, but I can't find much info here about selling one. I am selling mine and a Dominican guy has agreed to buy it, paying cash next week. That's fine and we have agreed to go to my bank together to make sure the money is all good. He says he'll take care of the transfer to his name, which is also good as it save me trouble and expense. My only concern is that if he goes off into the sunset with my car and the old matricula, he could then not actually do the transfer and if there are any problems, such as the car is involved in an accident or crime, it could come back on me.

Any advice on this?

Do not let him go off with the title and registration still in your name. NO no no and no. Ok get a lawyer or his even better his. You wil need to supply him with a letter from the local police stating the car is not involved in a theft. You will have to supply him with a bill of sale, the current title to the car and he will have to have proof of insurance. Go with him to motor vehicle and make sure he changes the title and reg to his name. Make sure you get payment in full before leaving him. It is a much more complicated process than in the US but it insures that things are all done legally . Good luck.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
The back side of the car matricula has a section on the ownership transfer. You write new owner's name, address and sign it. Take a photo of it and give the matricula to the buyer. Count the money and say good bye, it's as simple as that.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The back side of the car matricula has a section on the ownership transfer. You write new owner's name, address and sign it. Take a photo of it and give the matricula to the buyer. Count the money and say good bye, it's as simple as that.

I have a friend who did just that. The buyer went out and hit a kid on a motorcycle who lost control doing a wheelie and rode into the buyers path. The kid was killed instantly.

The family sued the buyer and my friend. My friend's lawyer strongly recommended she remove everything from her name.

In the end the buyer and my friend ended up settling out of court.

Having seen this happen first hand, I'd suggest it's not as simple as you may think.

I've sold more than a dozen vehicles here.

Each time, I took the buyer to DGII and submitted the docs to put it in their name, and didn't leave until they received their matricula.

A descarga only insures the buyer has to finish the transfer process before they can get the next marbete. They can still drive a year or more with your name on the front of the matricula.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You can do this but you are not in Kansas anymore. I repeat, GO TO MOTOR VEHICLE WTH YOUR BUYER. Walk through the process and leave with piece of mind. Your happy, he's happy and no legal worries.