Sosua ATMs

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The on dit I got recently from someone who is consistently a reliable source of information on these things is that Banco Popular is going to close its ATMs very soon. Right now they have the mobile ATMs in the truck, but apparently BP just can't keep up with the number of "incidents," from clients being robbed to account information being stolen, and they've decided to just bag it.

Has anyone else heard anything about this or (wait for it!) does anybody KNOW anything about it?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My foreign card no longer works in BP ATMs. It's been a few months now. I get to the part where I press the accept the 175 DOP charge, then it just hangs and eventually spits out my card.

Tried several BP machines, same result.

amordecanada

Jul 19, 2014
Someone just reported the Scotia ATM at the bus station in Sosua was also removed. Is this true?

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
All the Banco Popular machines removed where I live too (nowhere near Sos?a). In addition my UK card doesn't work anymore in their machines.

matilda

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Mobile truck works fine for me at the moment.

What kind of mobile truck? One with an ATM? Banco Popular has several ATM's around town in addition to on their bank. La Sirena and 2 at one Jose Luis and one at the other. Don't look like they are getting shy here in Puerto Plata.
Der Fish

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
And how do they expect the people/tourists to get money ???

My UK bank cards no longer work in the ATM here so I now obtain cash over the counter in the bank using a credit card. I have Visa ( do not know if other cards are accepted ) and depending which bank it is I either just sign or have to use the card PIN. Photo ID is also required.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
And how do they expect the people/tourists to get money ???

Well, there are other banks. Banco Santa Cruz, Banco Leon, BanReservas, etc., but they are probably pushing for such transactions to be made inside the bank with a teller to try and reduce fraud and drunken tourists getting rolled in the parking lot.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, there are other banks. Banco Santa Cruz, Banco Leon, BanReservas, etc., but they are probably pushing for such transactions to be made inside the bank with a teller to try and reduce fraud and drunken tourists getting rolled in the parking lot.

I have never been able to get money using an ATM card inside a bank. The transaction would be as a credit card, with much higher fees.

(Can you not just wait until the DR goes totally cashless, as PICHARDO predicts? Imagine the incredible amount of fraud then. )

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
What kind of mobile truck? One with an ATM? Banco Popular has several ATM's around town in addition to on their bank. La Sirena and 2 at one Jose Luis and one at the other. Don't look like they are getting shy here in Puerto Plata.
Der Fish

Narcissist that I am, I was only thinking of MY convenience, with the big BP being the closest I can get to on foot. With the dog.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
a credit card

Which is fine for someone to enter the bank and use a credit card to get an advance when needed while on vacation, but not a good solution for someone who lives here.

Hopefully they can figure out a more secure method and protect their ATMs. After all the DR uses the most advanced technology on the planet, he said facetiously. .