Semana Santa Cabarete

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
My wife's mom wants to visit Cabarete

during Semana Santa.

She is 67 years old.

What do you guys think in terms of safety, etc?

Jan 17, 2009
If I could be anywhere else during Semana Santa, I won't be here. If I can't leave, then I do my shopping early in the week, then stay home Friday-Sunday. Too noisy, and this year, there were safety issues too. I hope that tells you how I feel about Semana Santa in Cabarete.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Semana Santa is not a good time to visit any beach area unless you want non stop crowds, noise and general chaos. I can't comment on safety.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
semana santa is generally safe on personal level. still noisy, busy and messy but some people like it like that.

A fight with a bat and a gun including shots in the air broke out while I was driving through last SS in Cabarete. Personally I will do my best to try to avoid that again but if your mom is into HUGE amounts of young drunk people around with crazy loud music than she may like it.
I knew a few people who got their wallets and phones lifted, a lot of pick pocket teams around there.

I am sure you guys would be fine though, if I didn't live here I would probably find that really fun.

It took us an hour and 20 minutes to drive through Cabatete to get to a gig on the sat night. Lol

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Businessdr, where would she be staying? That can make an incredible difference.

Jan 17, 2009
Where you stay can make a difference in terms of a crowded and loud hotel, but won't shield you from street noise and loud music. Besides, what's the point in coming during Semana Santa if you're going to stay in a gated area? IMO

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Where you stay can make a difference in terms of a crowded and loud hotel, but won't shield you from street noise and loud music. Besides, what's the point in coming during Semana Santa if you're going to stay in a gated area? IMO
Expat.
Correct me if I am wrong.

The street in Cabarete is bad Thursday noon until Sunday noon.

The beach is super crowded from Cabarete Palace to Villa Taina (the center of town). Almost any other part of the beach is largely uncrowded.

Noise from the music is a problem from Velero to maybe Ocean One - and only from Friday midnight until 3am. Then Saturday noon until Sunday 3am.

If she is staying at an all-inclusive it could be a miserable time due to many loud guests. If she were staying at, for example, Ocean Dream or Nanny Estates... all she needs to do for happiness is avoid walking the beach in the center of town or being out on the road on Thursday noon until Sunday noon.

The remainder of the week and the week after are typically very nice and quiet.

Yes it can be miserable. But done properly it can be very nice. IMO

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
To further clarify my thoughts...
Week of Semana Santa...

All comments refer to an area from approximately Banco Popular on the west to Janet's on the east.
Areas outside this "center of Cabarete" are largely unaffected with the exception of higher occupancy rates in hotels and condos. In general, the cheaper the accomodations, the worse your semana satan :devious: neighbors will be.

Monday... totally calm

Tuesday... totally calm

Wednesday... totally calm

Thursday until noon, totally calm.
Thursday afternoon streets get a little more crowded, those who can afford hotels/condos arrive.
Thursday midnight, music and alcohol sales stop.

Friday all day until midnight. Calm, quiet, but traffic increasing and beach getting busier in center strip of town.
Friday midnight, music and alcohol sales start. Insanity ensues.

Saturday 3am, music stops, alcohol sales stop. Party moves to the gas station in front of Viva.
Saturday morning, relatively quiet.
Saturday noon, music starts on beach in center of town, crowd in center of town is large, traffic is heavy.
Saturday afternoon and evening, traffic grows, crowd grows.
Saturday until 3am, loud music and partying in the center of town.

Sunday morning, quiet, with some traffic as people leave.
Sunday afternoon... very quiet as only the residents remain in town.

Week after, typically very quiet.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
She will have a great time.
Cabarete is fine with a little bit of common sense ,and at 60 odd she for sure has that.

Forget all the jaded nannies on this site.They are scared of their own shadow.