New transit articles come into effect!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Read here(Spanish): http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...to-terreste-ordena-cero-gomas-lisas-en-calles

The Directorate General of Transit prohibited by resolution that heavy vehicles, in their different categories, with worn thread tires transit through highways, roads, streets and avenues of the country.

The resolution, submitted to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (Amet) for enforcement, provided for publication by Listin Diario in showing to the country the state of deterioration that the tires of many heavy vehicles passing through the streets and highways, endangering the lives of many citizens.

"No heavy motor vehicle designed to carry more than 30 passengers; trucks with three or more axes; articulated vehicles and combinations of single vehicle with trailer with a load capacity of more than five tons, belonging to the second heavy category, may travel on public roads using worn out thread tires, as required by law, "the resolution signed by Luis Estrella, director of Transit.

License Requirements

The measure mandates, in its first article, that every driver who aspires to obtain a category authorization 02 heavy must submit to the Directorate General of Land Transit a medical certificate that proves that is in good physical and mental conditions for driving such vehicles.

"All drivers of heavy vehicles, both cargo and passengers is ordered to comply with the provision requiring them to travel on the right lane only, on those routes of more than one lane in one direction and only use the lane on the left to pass, "states the article fifth of the provision.

Similarly, orders the drivers of heavy vehicles, especially articulated and bi-articulated, move at a speed not exceeding 70 kilometers per hour, with load, and not more than 80 kilometers per hour, those transiting without load.

Among other provisions, the regulation mandates that all heavy motor vehicles designed to carry more than 30 passengers, trucks with three or more axles, articulated vehicles and others, must have a reflective tape on the front, back and sides.

"The tapes should cover throughout the defense on the front; throughout the vehicle on the sides and across the width of the vehicle in the back, "states the third article.

From now on, in addition, all vehicles carrying a load that is likely to spill on the road, must be covered with canvas or tarp.

WHAT HAS THE LAW 241-67
Law 241 of 28 December l967 provides in Article 63 that the Director of Land Transport may set on the basis of research and studies traffic engineering, speed limits, "higher or lower than the previously expressed" both urban areas to rural areas.

In Article 149, the law states that all heavy motor vehicle, both freight and passenger and every trailer shall two strips of refractive material, placed horizontally on either side.

Similarly, Article 171 in its literal 5, provides that when cargo is carried that is likely to spill on the road, to the detriment of public health or safety, the load should be covered by a tarpaulin awning or canvas.

The Literal b of Article 66 of Law 241 provides that "in every public road more than one lane in one direction, shall be the duty of all heavy motor vehicle, including buses, always drive down the lane to the far right.

In the ordinances a, b and c Law 241 gives authority to the Director of Land Transit to provide the necessary measures for the use of public roads by vehicles and pedestrians, according to the needs of public safety or good order in the transit.

Based on these articles of the Law, Land Transit director, Luis Estrella, took the measures contained in this resolution No 01 of 2016.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Like I said before: Changes are coming...

Also to come: Trucks inspection and weight stations.

Speed cameras and also red light cameras.

Point system for licenses that will be impacting insurance rates.

Safety driving certifications, even for motorcyclists. Without them no insurance will be provided by all the insurers in the country.

More to come...

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
transito-terrestre-ordena-cero-gomas-lisas-en-calles.jpeg

No more of these...

Feb 7, 2007
Point system for licenses that will be impacting insurance rates.

Vehicles registered in the company name, or insurance policy issued in the company name, will effectively void any impact of such point system for increased insurance rates. Another good reason to have a DR registered company with RNC#.

Safety driving certifications, even for motorcyclists. Without them no insurance will be provided by all the insurers in the country.

More opportunity for corruption. They must be very excited.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm hoping for measures against people driving without brake lights. I see that in many vehicles even just a few year old cars.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
All laws here are selectively enforced. Until this culture of selective enforcement
changes.... busine$$ as usual.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A good start.

But that 70kph provision comes with unintended consequences: one of the greatest threats on the autopistas are slower moving vehicles causing a great variation in vehicle speed on roads designed for higher speed traffic.

A huge vehicle, blocking forward vision traveling at 70kph on a road where the traffic is going 100-110kph (or, in reality, much more when unpatrolled and enforced) can cause all manner of havoc.

I'd suggest that laws be written that require and limit large trucks to access the faster roads, like the autopistas, only from from 8pm to 8am when passenger traffic is at a minimum.

Many cities in the states have implemented such laws with great success.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I'm hoping for measures against people driving without brake lights. I see that in many vehicles even just a few year old cars.

There are those who disconnect the lights because they believe that using lights costs gasoline.
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'd go a bit further.

1)Heavy vehicles may not use the highways at all on Sundays - from 23:59 Saturday until 06:00 Monday. Maybe no heavy trucks (commercial vewhciles, buses excepted) on any road on Sunday.
2)On the autopista, minimum speed of 80 Km/h unless otherwise posted for safety, Max speed 100 km/h,
or whatever they wish to enforce.
3) No moto that cannot maintain the minimum speed in a designated lane on any hwy.

Dreaming is free...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are those who disconnect the lights because they believe that using lights costs gasoline.
Der Fish

These people need to have their license pulled until they pass some sort of remedial driver education class. In the event of no license, they need to have their vehicle impounded until they get a license. A few questions need to be added to the driver's test documenting minimum vehicle maintenance requirements and automatic fault for drivers of a "blacked out" vehicle in an accident anytime day or night.

Until Amet starts watching vehicles coming to a traffic lights stop from the rear and issuing 48 notices to repair and report to avoid a fine, people will opt not to purchase those $1 bulbs...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Sorry failed to proof read in time...

Until Amet starts watching vehicles coming to a stop at traffic lights from the rear...

newuser

Bronze
May 12, 2002
Read here(Spanish): http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...to-terreste-ordena-cero-gomas-lisas-en-calles

The Directorate General of Transit prohibited by resolution that heavy vehicles, in their different categories, with worn thread tires transit through highways, roads, streets and avenues of the country.

The resolution, submitted to the Metropolitan Transit Authority (Amet) for enforcement, provided for publication by Listin Diario in showing to the country the state of deterioration that the tires of many heavy vehicles passing through the streets and highways, endangering the lives of many citizens.

"No heavy motor vehicle designed to carry more than 30 passengers; trucks with three or more axes; articulated vehicles and combinations of single vehicle with trailer with a load capacity of more than five tons, belonging to the second heavy category, may travel on public roads using worn out thread tires, as required by law, "the resolution signed by Luis Estrella, director of Transit.

Will it still be ok for the trucks to have a couple of lug nuts missing?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...as long as the number of missing lug nuts is an even number so that the wheel is still balanced...

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Some great new laws. The country has racked up some huge debt to pay for new roads. It will all go for naught if the roads are chewed up by heavy vehicles and the country does not have the means to keep the roads in good condition.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Until I see action on those murderous and irresponsible motor cycle riders who cause almost all the accidents one way or another, I fail to be impressed!

These idiots are the scourge of the streets and have no education or respect for traffic rules.
I hate them with a vengeance and when I see them blatantly breaking all the rules and causing hideously dangerous situations under the AMET's eyes,I despair.
I don't care a hoot if they wear helmets,but wrong way riding,speeding,overloading and pulling wheelies on crowded streets is lethal and AMET cares not a tinker's cuss!.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
It would also help if the police themselves obey the traffic rules. wrong way, brake lights, beat up vehicles. and on and on.