Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone know a taxi driver that can take me from POP to Santiago?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was still working at the hotel and we had guests arriving/departing from the Santiago airport, the standard rate for every taxi driver we had on file was US$100. And this was a price that was obtained by my Dominican manager.

If it's just a day trip to visit Santiago, I would say absolutely take Metro or Caribe and yes, with Caribe, stay on till the second stop. And in either case, bring a jacket, because the A/C on those buses is no joke. You could hang meat.
    Last edited by Meemselle; 08-08-2016 at 10:57 AM. Reason: punctuation

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

$100 round trip is a good price. One way it is a rip off

3. Likes drstock, Fulano2, jd426, Harleysrock liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

OP here. Sorry for not clarifying much in my post. I intend to visit Santiago to shop, go out, and perhaps mingle with locals. I thought $100 might've been overchanging because I recall a topic posted on the forums that suggested $100 would be a bit much.
    Also: I hear Uber is available in Santiago and according to the app, it seems they are able to drop me off at my resort from Santiago for $40 pesos. Is this true?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The airport taxi from SDQ into town is $45 US one way, which makes $100 US round trip Santiago to Puerto Plata look like a bargain. However, you can easily get someone to do it for $1000 RD.

Post Thanks / Like

How would I go about paying $1000RD?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaI94 View Post
    How would I go about paying $1000RD?
    Go to the street and stop a concho, carro publico, and ask him to take you to Santiago for a 1000 pesos.
    Good luck 😀😀

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaI94 View Post
    OP here. Sorry for not clarifying much in my post. I intend to visit Santiago to shop, go out, and perhaps mingle with locals. I thought $100 might've been overchanging because I recall a topic posted on the forums that suggested $100 would be a bit much.
    Also: I hear Uber is available in Santiago and according to the app, it seems they are able to drop me off at my resort from Santiago for $40 pesos. Is this true?
    Here is your game plan.....or at least how I would suggest.

Take an early taxi from the resort to Metro or Caribe. Metro or Caribe to Santiago. Use your Uber app to get transportaton around the city. If you find a driver you like, ask him/her how much to return to Puerto Plata at the end of your day. If the price is too prohibitive for you, then get back to Metro or Caribe and take the bus back to Puerto Plata.

Note that if you intend to use a taxi to return to Puerto Plata.....your fare will be adjusted based on whether it will be dark or light when you return.

Either way, enjoy your trip.

Respectfuly,
    Playacaribe2

9. Likes Timotero liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    The airport taxi from SDQ into town is $45 US one way, which makes $100 US round trip Santiago to Puerto Plata look like a bargain. However, you can easily get someone to do it for $1000 RD.
    Being relatively familiar with the taxi rates around POP, IŽd like to know which reliable taxi driver is willing to do this for 1000 pesos?

As far as I know, the going rate from POP city just to airport and back is 1000 pesos... The strech to Santiago is obviously a much longer one...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh2203 View Post
    Being relatively familiar with the taxi rates around POP, IŽd like to know which reliable taxi driver is willing to do this for 1000 pesos?

As far as I know, the going rate from POP city just to airport and back is 1000 pesos... The strech to Santiago is obviously a much longer one...
    I said SDQ. I didn't say taxi driver.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh2203 View Post

So you're suggesting that it would be unlikely to find a taxi driver willing to charge $1000RD? What price should I go for then?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast