Anyone know a taxi driver that can take me from POP to Santiago?

JoshuaI94

Aug 8, 2016
I am currently staying at a resort in Puerto Plata and have heard that taxi drivers around here overcharge tourists. If anyone can refer me a taxi driver willing to charge cheaper than a driver I know (who charged $100 roundtrip) it would be greatly appreciated.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
You an take the Metro (Bus) from POP to Santiago round trip. There and back the same day for mouse nuts. Take the first bus out, and the last bus back. Get tickets in advance. Comfortable and AC.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You an take the Metro (Bus) from POP to Santiago round trip. There and back the same day for mouse nuts. Take the first bus out, and the last bus back. Get tickets in advance. Comfortable and AC.

Also Caribe Tours goes even more often than Metro. Both good and cheap.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Also Caribe Tours goes even more often than Metro. Both good and cheap.

If you take Caribe Tours I suggest getting off at the second stop which is a block away from the Metro station in Santiago. Better part of town, closer to restaurants and stores.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
You don't say when, nor why a round trip. Is this to take you to Santiago for a bit of shopping? Put out a few more posts and I can PM you and offer a solution.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I don't think 100$ is overcharging to be honest. Or do you only count gas?

My cost for diesel fuel ro Santiago airport and back is about 650 pesos. I am aware that it is an economical vehicle, but a limo couldn't cost $100.00 in fuel to Punta Cana and back.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My cost for diesel fuel ro Santiago airport and back is about 650 pesos. I am aware that it is an economical vehicle, but a limo couldn't cost $100.00 in fuel to Punta Cana and back.
So you count only gas ? Is the driver a volunteer you think?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The OP needs to give more details.

Is this a quick round-trip to pick someone up at the airport?

Are they going shopping or to a doctor's appointment, and expect the driver to hang around a couple/few of hours waiting for them?

Too many variables.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
So you count only gas ? Is the driver a volunteer you think?

NO I don't drive as a volunteer in this type of situation, but just pointing out that, yes I feel that $100.00 for a trip to Santiago and back is excessive. For those who generally make 1000 pesos pr day it would be quite a windfall.
Der Fish

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
When I was still working at the hotel and we had guests arriving/departing from the Santiago airport, the standard rate for every taxi driver we had on file was US$100. And this was a price that was obtained by my Dominican manager.

If it's just a day trip to visit Santiago, I would say absolutely take Metro or Caribe and yes, with Caribe, stay on till the second stop. And in either case, bring a jacket, because the A/C on those buses is no joke. You could hang meat.

Last edited:

JoshuaI94

Aug 8, 2016
OP here. Sorry for not clarifying much in my post. I intend to visit Santiago to shop, go out, and perhaps mingle with locals. I thought $100 might've been overchanging because I recall a topic posted on the forums that suggested $100 would be a bit much.
Also: I hear Uber is available in Santiago and according to the app, it seems they are able to drop me off at my resort from Santiago for $40 pesos. Is this true?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
The airport taxi from SDQ into town is $45 US one way, which makes $100 US round trip Santiago to Puerto Plata look like a bargain. However, you can easily get someone to do it for $1000 RD.

Jan 9, 2004
OP here. Sorry for not clarifying much in my post. I intend to visit Santiago to shop, go out, and perhaps mingle with locals. I thought $100 might've been overchanging because I recall a topic posted on the forums that suggested $100 would be a bit much.
Also: I hear Uber is available in Santiago and according to the app, it seems they are able to drop me off at my resort from Santiago for $40 pesos. Is this true?

Here is your game plan.....or at least how I would suggest.

Take an early taxi from the resort to Metro or Caribe. Metro or Caribe to Santiago. Use your Uber app to get transportaton around the city. If you find a driver you like, ask him/her how much to return to Puerto Plata at the end of your day. If the price is too prohibitive for you, then get back to Metro or Caribe and take the bus back to Puerto Plata.

Note that if you intend to use a taxi to return to Puerto Plata.....your fare will be adjusted based on whether it will be dark or light when you return.

Either way, enjoy your trip.

Respectfuly,
Playacaribe2

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The airport taxi from SDQ into town is $45 US one way, which makes $100 US round trip Santiago to Puerto Plata look like a bargain. However, you can easily get someone to do it for $1000 RD.

Being relatively familiar with the taxi rates around POP, I?d like to know which reliable taxi driver is willing to do this for 1000 pesos?

As far as I know, the going rate from POP city just to airport and back is 1000 pesos... The strech to Santiago is obviously a much longer one...

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Being relatively familiar with the taxi rates around POP, I?d like to know which reliable taxi driver is willing to do this for 1000 pesos?

As far as I know, the going rate from POP city just to airport and back is 1000 pesos... The strech to Santiago is obviously a much longer one...
I said SDQ. I didn't say taxi driver.

JoshuaI94

Aug 8, 2016

So you're suggesting that it would be unlikely to find a taxi driver willing to charge $1000RD? What price should I go for then?