Resources for human trafficking victims

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Found out that the guy I've been talking to (the one I always talk about without a cedula) is being trafficked by his mother.

I know from posting on this board that I shouldn't do anything as Dominicans are seemingly against foreigners sticking their noses in their country's business, but I would like to at least provide him with resources on what trafficking is and how to get help in the DR.... Anyone have any advice?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You say know you "shouldn't" do anything yet are contemplating doing "something". You seem have the bases covered all by yourself. What advice would you like us to offer? The only option left is "maybe" doing something.

If this person is in danger or being grossly abused, maybe you have a moral obligation do something. Maybe ask him if he wants you to get involved in his life. If he says no, go have a beer... Meddling where you are not wanted has no upside for you.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
If you read my first post you'd see I clearly asked for resources to provide HIM with.

As far as me taking action and stuff I have no clue where the hell you were reading or what you were reading for that matter.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The local Unidad de Victimas would be able to help. It's run by the Fiscalia and provides legal counselling and medical assistance if necessary.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... but I would like to at least provide him with resources on what trafficking is and how to get help in the DR.... Anyone have any advice?

If you read my first post you'd see I clearly asked for resources to provide HIM with.

As far as me taking action and stuff I have no clue where the hell you were reading or what you were reading for that matter.

Jose, don't get all bent out of shape. See bold and underlined above. In the English language the words you wrote, indicate that you are thinking of taking some action, in this case providing someone with resources. I did not imply that you were going to ride in on a white horse and rescue the guy...

As for your reply, clearly you seem to think that providing information (resources) does not equal doing something, fair enough. Kate gave you a resource, so you are all set and can continue not doing anything by doing something. It's just semantics.

I reiterate, before you get further involved, you might ask the person if they would appreciate or even want you to do what you want to do for them.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Found out that the guy I've been talking to (the one I always talk about without a cedula) is being trafficked by his mother.

I know from posting on this board that I shouldn't do anything as Dominicans are seemingly against foreigners sticking their noses in their country's business, but I would like to at least provide him with resources on what trafficking is and how to get help in the DR.... Anyone have any advice?

I?m curious, what exactly has his mother trafficked him into?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I?m curious, what exactly has his mother trafficked him into?

Male prostituion at a brothel in SD. He doesn't have a cedula and she's using the excuse that she needs to go to [country of origin, which I won't post here... But not Haiti] to get his birth certificate so he can get a cedula.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Male prostituion at a brothel in SD. He doesn't have a cedula and she's using the excuse that she needs to go to [country of origin, which I won't post here... But not Haiti] to get his birth certificate so he can get a cedula.

Interesting. I live in here in Santo Domingo. Never heard of anyone running male
brothels here. As far as how to help him, no clue.
Maybe contact someone at his embassy is a good starting point.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Interesting. I live in here in Santo Domingo. Never heard of anyone running male
brothels here. As far as how to help him, no clue.
Maybe contact someone at his embassy is a good starting point.

Thanks Cristo it's actually a really popular brothel, but I appreciate the help! I'll probably continue to look for as many resources as possible so he can research himself to see that he has options as opposed to me just jumping in and ruining his family unit. I want him to take his next steps, he's only 19, so I think it's important that I at least present him with information on the subject and a info on safe havens for him. Besides his mother and siblings he has no family his mom is from Europe and Dominican dad was abusive and left out on the family years ago. But he still loves his mother to death so the best I can do is provide resources and info. But thanks so much for the information.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Be careful Jose. This is about all the advice I can give you.

Dangerous territory. IMHO.:glasses:

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Be careful Jose. This is about all the advice I can give you.

Dangerous territory. IMHO.:glasses:

Yeah that's why I'm just looking for info to present to him. I'm American and have no plans on going back to the DR anytime soon, I'm fully aware the government is corrupt as hell and would harm me. Hence why I'm trying to just give him resources from a distance. That's also why I made it clear in the first place I'm only trying to get resources I searched the forum here and saw the same "be careful" messages to someone trying to report abuse being committed on a minor.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ OP, so what would happen to your friend if he woke up one morning and told his Mother he wasn't going to work in the house of bugarrones anymore?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
@ OP, so what would happen to your friend if he woke up one morning and told his Mother he wasn't going to work in the house of bugarrones anymore?

I dont know if you're trying to be funny or not, but without a cedula or birth certificate, what exactly could he do?

joselowe

May 5, 2015

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I dont know if you're trying to be funny or not, but without a cedula or birth certificate, what exactly could he do?

I am just sayin' how do you know the dude doesn't really like working where he is at? Sort of like recently when those poor helpless Pasion girls got "rescued" in Santiago.

joselowe

May 5, 2015
Is he asking you for money to help him get out of the situation?

Nope he has also been lying that his mother has no clue that he has sex with men for money...until I saw numerous pics while snooping on social media of him and his mother with the owner of the brothel..all together

I've always had a feeling considering the cedula/birth certificate thing, but he's always lied and said that she doesnt know, but I found out 100% today that she is fully aware of it and appears to have been prostituting him out while he was still in high school.

Thats the main issue I'll encounter with giving him resources, his mother and siblings are all that he has and he loves his mother to death to the point of as I mentioned has been lying for her. I've asked numerous times if she knows and he says no and he even told me that he stopped, but slipped up and told me that he still does it. His mother know about it and I even have reason to believe that at least one relative in the USA knows about it.

It's just an all around sad situation, on one end I want to leave this alone then on another I want to give him resources and then the least reactive feeling that I have is to blow his mother spot up, the thing is that he's not the youngest, there are younger brothers whome she appears to be pimping out....From the pics I've seen on social media it aso appears that the current man that she is seeing is physically abusing all of the boys, except for the older ones and the one who I want to get the resources to.