Should biz owners boycot the Multi Cultural Festival?

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
I find it comical that the Sosua City hall wants the restaurants in Sosua to PAY to be a part of this festival the same time they are trying to RUIN every business in town!! Only in Sosua man!!

Jul 28, 2014
I find it comical that the Sosua City hall wants the restaurants in Sosua to PAY to be a part of this festival the same time they are trying to RUIN every business in town!! Only in Sosua man!!

Somebody has to pat for the bands ;)

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Nobody's trying to ruin businesses.

But you're wondering if they should boycott an event that might bring in customers? Kind of an odd approach.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is that new? i thought they were charging businesses that wanted to participate for few years now?

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think they always have, maybe the 1st one was free but I don't think so. Sea Monkey will know for sure!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
are we talking about the food festival or am I on the wrong track

epivba.jpg

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
Nobody's trying to ruin businesses.

But you're wondering if they should boycott an event that might bring in customers? Kind of an odd approach.

I'm sure if you owned a business that has been affected by what they've done recently you'd feel differently.

I'd say enforcing laws in one town and not another which cripples businesses and then asking for money from the same businesses you've crippled to fill town coffers is an odd approach. But that's just me!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Other threads already address the measures being taken in Sosua and why.

How much does it cost a business to attend this festival?

Business owners do have three options. Attend and complain, attend and not complain, or not attend. In the DR, the first two are actually identical in their end results.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
Other threads already address the measures being taken in Sosua and why.

How much does it cost a business to attend this festival?

Business owners do have three options. Attend and complain, attend and not complain, or not attend. In the DR, the first two are actually identical in their end results.

This thread is specifically about the Multi Cultural Festival and whether it should be boycotted. Respectability, Your reference to other threads has no bearing on this one. Have a Great day!

Oct 11, 2010
Business owners do have three options. Attend and complain, attend and not complain, or not attend.

Actually four options
1. Attend and complain
2. Attend and not complain
3. Not attend and complain
4. Not attend and not complain

Apparently the OP is leaning toward number three.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Actually four options
1. Attend and complain
2. Attend and not complain
3. Not attend and complain
4. Not attend and not complain

Apparently the OP is leaning toward number three.

Good catch on that! By "not attend", I did not clearly state the "state" of complaining or not complaining. Here in the DR that results in attend or not attend as being the two meaningful choices with zero weight being given to complaining.

In your example with respect to the DR, 1 and 2 are equivalent, and 3 and 4 are equivalent. Complain or not, nobody cares.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm sure if you owned a business that has been affected by what they've done recently you'd feel differently.

No, I don't think I would. The event is in a park that is going to draw customers to a concentrated spot. A business can pay a small fee to have access to those customers and possibly gain new regulars for their normal location. And probably have a profitable day at the event.

It really has nothing to do with palm trees getting axed, high heels on PC, road closings or new sidewalks. Other than while there you can corner the Mayor and anybody else you see to voice your opinion.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
No, I don't think I would. The event is in a park that is going to draw customers to a concentrated spot. A business can pay a small fee to have access to those customers and possibly gain new regulars for their normal location. And probably have a profitable day at the event.

It really has nothing to do with palm trees getting axed, high heels on PC, road closings or new sidewalks. Other than while there you can corner the Mayor and anybody else you see to voice your opinion.

Saying"I don't think I would" is easy when you don't have any skin in the game as they say.

As for the fees, I shall find that out this week. But all indications are it is not a small fee as you mentioned.

Thanks for making me laugh, just the idea of the mayor listening to me is as funny as any joke I've heard lately! Ha ha

We obviously have a difference of opinion which is fine, what a boring world it would be if we all agreed on everything! Have a great day!