american tourist mistaken for a prostitute and insulted by CESTUR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/cestur...cusa-de-prostituta-luego-la-dejan-abandonada/

young american woman was walking on cabarete beach with two dominicanas from sosua, a wife of an owner of hotel sosua sunset and her cousin. they were stopped by CESTUR who arrested dominican women, taking them to sosua's jail.
american woman was called "maldita negra" and accised of being a "haitiana passing for a foreigner". she was not arrested but they left her stranded on the beach, she ended up taking a motoconcho to sosua.

the article also mentions that last week the same happened to brazilian tourist who was also accused of being a ho and even hit.

si225

Dec 26, 2012
Detaining people who have done nothing wrong, accused of something that is not even a crime, is against Dominican law as well as their Constitution.
But I digress, it's the Dominican Republic after all - where caring about such things means a lifetime of disappointment.

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Very common event. We booked many years ago at Club Alegre (Playa Dorada), I always liked the place being right on the beach. When we arrived, suddenly the booking did not exist, and we were in some low rent playa dorada accommodations. My wife from newark always knew to expect these things, so when she booked she was meticulous to make sure she made the right booking. Anyway, after her calling her travel agent and demanding it be fixed. It was corrected.

You have to fight, you have to have monetary power that comes from outside of the DR, .... or you lose.

Of course in both my story and the story starting this thread you have to read between the lines to have that ahhaaa moment of understanding.

Last edited:

msmfgf

Jul 12, 2013
interestingly since the shuttering of sosua bars after midnight/1am lots of whores have moved to cabarete

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Please recall I did mention that Cestur said that unaccompanied women on Cabarete beach would be arrested in this War on Whores. The War is being fought to reduce the DR's reputation as a whore monger destination.
Nobody expects prostitution will be eliminated, it is about reducing that image as a hooker paradise.

Of course, there will be some "collateral damage".

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Actually it is on whores. Most happen to be young women.

Prostitution is not an illegal activity there and yes, if young Women who are NOT involved in soliciting P4P are harassed by the officials while simply walking along minding their own business then the "war" is on young Women.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Please recall I did mention that Cestur said that unaccompanied women on Cabarete beach would be arrested in this War on Whores. The War is being fought to reduce the DR's reputation as a whore monger destination.
Nobody expects prostitution will be eliminated, it is about reducing that image as a hooker paradise.

Of course, there will be some "collateral damage".

And with that attitude the Dominican Republic will become a misogynist's paradise, where young women will only be allowed to stay at home or within walled compounds so that the prudish men will not feel sexually threatened when they see them in public

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Prostitution is not an illegal activity there and yes, if young Women who are NOT involved in soliciting P4P are harassed by the officials while simply walking along minding their own business then the "war" is on young Women.

Very well, the war is on young women.

I bet if the woman does not have a darker skin tone, there is no war on that young woman.

si225

Dec 26, 2012
When law enforcement is encouraged (or even directed) to engage in illegal activities, at some point in the future, the war could be on you. Of course, it will be for a seemingly legitimate reason, to advance some seemingly legitimate purpose.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

I bet if the woman does not have a darker skin tone, there is no war on that young woman.

As the article stated the American woman must have been very dark since she was called to be a "Haitian", don't know about the Brazilian one though.
Have a couple of AA friends when in the DR quite often they're thought to be Haitian, they thought it was kinda funny till they realized about the discrimination against Haitians.
There's ignorance all over the world only a bit more in the DR. ;)

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
This is EXACTLY what We predicted would Happen,, and people laughed.. so there ya go
I am Glad this is happening... Stupid Dominican Cops just being who they are , and destroying Tourism..
So now corruption, set ups, and extortion is not the only thing we have to worry about.
Congrats you Genius DR Politicians .for destroying Tourism for the Dom Rep even faster.

When law enforcement is encouraged (or even directed) to engage in illegal activities, at some point in the future, the war could be on you. Of course, it will be for a seemingly legitimate reason, to advance some seemingly legitimate purpose.

EXACTLY.....

and when THEIR morena skin Novia or WIFE is perhaps taken away, even while she is wearing her AI wristband, maybe they will finally wake up to this fact..
its not a matter of if, just a matter of when.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If one does not think that CESTUR will be reined in about how they are proceeding, using this case as an example, I suggest that one is naive.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I guess the police in Jarabacoa must be afraid of the skinny dark Haitiana Ho that frequents the park as she still solicits many guys night and day.