Me regala un buen dia.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Today at the end of a pleasant commercial interaction at the local bakery the clerk said...

Me regala un buen dia. Which I interpreted as I wish you a good day.

Regalar is to give a gift.

Anyone care to comment on the use of reflexive here. Transliterated is it... Me gifts to you a good day.

As a self taught hisparlente I say I speak English with Spanish words.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Maybe he said: Te regalo un buen d?a (I gift you a nice day)? Still doesn't make sense and I never heard the expression.

Or: Te deseo un buen d?a?

If he / she really said : me regala un buen d?a it Could mean that you tipped well and it was more like a statement: you gave me a nice day. Or he/she asked you to give him/her a nice day: me regala un buen dia? But again: never heard that expression.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Today at the end of a pleasant commercial interaction at the local bakery the clerk said...

Anyone care to comment on the use of reflexive here. Transliterated is it... Me gifts to you a good day.

In a scenario like this it can be hard to guess what someone else said. That’s why if you are learning to speak a foreign language never be shy or hesitant to ask someone to clarify what s/he said if you are unsure.

After going back and forth and trying to make sense of what you said, in my opinion, the person probably said – que tengas un buen d?a. The conversation was pleasant and finished off with the clerk wishing you a good day.

Depending on your comprehension level in Spanish and if the clerk speaks relatively fast it may have sounded like – me regala un buen d?a. The problem with that as I see it is it makes no sense to say that and I have never heard it either.

You mentioned reflexive usage in that phrase. There is no reflexive usage in me regala….

A reflexive construction would be for example:

Lavarse- present tense

Me lavo- I wash myself
Te lavas- You wash yourself
Se lava – he/ she washes himself/ herself

Look at the verb conjugation. That’s a reflexive construction in Spanish not me regala, me da, me dice etc.

-MP.

Sean77

Jun 17, 2016
The "me" is an indirect object pronoun, dia is the object and the phrase is a compliment meaning "You give (or are giving/gift) (to) me a nice day. It's the same use as me regala or regalame something, meaning give or sell something (to) me.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

I think I figured out what was said to you.

Yesterday when chatting with a colleague of mine I gave her some good news and she said to me- me hiciste el d?a. After our conversation I thought to myself wow that is so literal meaning a direct transfer from one language to another. The phrase itself is not true to the language. It was easy to find what I was looking for.

I think the clerk said to you:

Me alegraste el d?a. IMO this is the right to say ‘you made my day’ in Spanish.

Also I think it goes in line phonetically with what you think you heard.

Look at #8 in the link

http://blog.metodoenglish.com/expresiones-coloquiales-en-ingles/

-MP.