Planned 24 hour strike of the Puerto Plata port facilities

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
A diverse group of workers at the port, after protesting earlier in the week, have announced a 24 hour
work stoppage to force the rescinding of a ruling by the Customs department affecting the shipment of
small barrels and boxes containing rice, oil, used household appliances and second hand clothing.
The ruling was put into effect on Aug 1st, if I understand the article correctly.
An English translation of the article appears below:

The Association of Freight Consolidators North (ACOCARENORTE), supported by other trade organizations
completely paralyze the customs clearance of goods at the local port peacefully demanding that the
Directorate General of Customs (DGA) revoking measures put into effect on August 1.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Every now and then, the head of the DGA gets some money from local business men who don't like competition and these little things happen.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Every now and then, the head of the DGA gets some money from local business men who don't like competition and these little things happen.

I think you may be correct, Windeguy. But shutting down the port for a day moves this beyond "little things", don't you agree?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
So DGA wants to tax barrels and boxes and no more oil and rice outside of boxes or barrels. Still awaiting full details or if this will be beaten back.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
really?

Yes, DV8, really!
I can find no occurrence of the word "Aduana" in any of the articles I read, which were in English.
Nor does the word appear in either of the two articles which you so graciously listed. Lighten up.

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Yes, DV8, really!
I can find no occurrence of the word "Aduana" in any of the articles I read, which were in English.
Nor does the word appear in either of the two articles which you so graciously listed. Lighten up.

aduanas is in the title of the first article:
Critican silencio de diputados de ultramar por impuestos de Aduanas a tanques y cajas.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
really?

Yes, DV8, really!

Guess I'm seeing things in the article !!!!!!!!!

e6db8h.jpg

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
"Guess I'm seeing things in the article !!!!!!!!!"

Let me try again. I read the articles (which include the titles) in ENGLISH.
Aduanas (Spanish) = Customs (English).
Therefore I did not see the word "Aduanas".
How hard is this, Jeez!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On which Friday is customs going to produce the document regarding tax or no tax?

How is the strike at the docks in Puerto Plata going?

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006