ATM's not working anymore with foreign bank cards?

Stefan1983

Nov 6, 2013
I have multiple guests in our Guesthouse the last couple of days that cannot use their foreign cards anymore. Not in Las Terrenas, but also not where they were travelling from. VISA, AMEX and even cards with maestro are being denied. Anyone knows what's going on?

dropshort

May 18, 2008
I never have a problem. I do not use an ATM.
I go into the bank when it is open and get cash in air conditioned comfort.
In addition, I have an armed security guard looking out for me.

I do not have any problem with the banking system is RD.

DS

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I never have a problem. I do not use an ATM.
I go into the bank when it is open and get cash in air conditioned comfort.
In addition, I have an armed security guard looking out for me.

I do not have any problem with the banking system is RD.

DS

How do you get that money? Cash advance from a credit card? Withdrawal from a local bank account?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Use your debit card on your home bank, no network charge and no ATM limit.

May 29, 2006
It was a bank holiday yesterday and many ATMs were out of cash. I had to go to five banks yesterday then wait in a line ten deep hoping there'd still be cash available. I've had it happen several times on Sundays.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Could you explain that please bienamor?

I go into banco progresso give them my debit card from the US an identification tell them how much I want in Peso's they run the card take copies of the ID. I do not have an account there. If you don't have residency would need your passport

JTakaMakaveli

Dec 31, 2015
I go into banco progresso give them my debit card from the US an identification tell them how much I want in Peso's they run the card take copies of the ID. I do not have an account there. If you don't have residency would need your passport

This is the best way. There are issues with many ATMs. Also no ATM fee this way.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Most of our home banks do not have branches in the DR. I had a problem with Wells Fargo back in May. They cancelled my card, and it took 4 tries for them to get one to me. Finally last week I rec'd the one sent thru my courier on the 24 of May a couple of weeks after getting one and activating it, but one of the first people i argued with at Wells Fargo said all I had to do was walk into any branch of Wells Fargo, I told him a total of 3 times that I was not in the USA, and asked if they had branches here, he said no, but didn't seem capable of understanding that the Dominican Republic is not within the USA.

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012

I tried that with my UK home bank debit card when my problems with the ATM's first started but my bank (Progresso) and others I have tried will only accept my credit card.:disappoin

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I tried that with my UK home bank debit card when my problems with the ATM's first started but my bank (Progresso) and others I have tried will only accept my credit card.:disappoin

That is what have always been told inside DR banks. You want to use your card as a credit card for a cash advance inside, fine. (No I do not!)
Otherwise use your ATM card in the machine.

Aug 21, 2007
This is my experience with the local ATMs. They don't want to take international debit cards with a chip. I had my bank in the US make me a chip-less card. I don't seem to have much problems using it here in the DR. If, by accident, I pull out the card with the chip, there are always problems and I typically don't get any money.

Lindsey

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I use world remit, sends the money to me in cash at BHD other banks available I believe, 3.99 per transaction, ready in minutes using my debit card

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
In january, i flew in for 5 weeks in Boca chica
My international cards did not work in one single bank, other than
scotiabank.
I had so much difficulty i had to return to SD to go to the bank there.
On another occasion i went into a bank in a mall and showed them my passport and got cash that way

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I have a UK debit card issued by Bank of Scotland and regularity withdraw $150,000 pesos from Banco Popular.

QUOTE=jefe de la finca;1719352]I tried that with my UK home bank debit card when my problems with the ATM's first started but my bank (Progresso) and others I have tried will only accept my credit card.:disappoin[/QUOTE]

bigwhiskey

Aug 29, 2010
Before I travel I go to bank and let them know Im going and will use my atm card so they will authorize any transaction if I use it. I prefer to wire myself money safer and cheaper.