Ferry from Santo Domingo fire onboard

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Is this the ferry that makes the regular DR. PR run? If so I'm out. Planning to make the trip. Fire is bad but fire on a boat when I am aboard is a nightmare.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
By coincidence, a long-term good friend & riding buddy, a retired Coastie safety expert, is on his way to San Juan to assess the situation.

He wrote me: "I'm headed to San Juan for a contract." I wrote back: "Hop the ferry to Santo Domingo and let's ride for a couple of days." He said: "Not gonna happen, I'm working on that boat. Don't know how long it'll take."

Small world...

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
So is it ok to take your DR registered car to PR for a few days and be able to drive around before returning to the DR?

Bob K

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
So is it ok to take your DR registered car to PR for a few days and be able to drive around before returning to the DR?

Bob K

yes, you can do this but you will be going through customs just like arriving at an airport and your car will be inspected for contraband. You can go to Walmart and load up.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Boat fires make me nervous. Anyone know if these DR ferrys are subject to any inspection system? I think I know but I am hoping. Otherwise I am no going. One fire is a warning for me.

Jan 9, 2004

Bob K

Yes...however:

You need a clearance certificate issued by the Policia National;
Your car, engine and undercarriage must be washed prior to boarding and you need to document that with a receipt;
You need your license, registration and matricula and of course passport (originals);

The cost for the vehicle is fairly expensive in part because of the forced place insurances you are required to buy before being allowed to enter PR.

Contact ferries del caribe for further questions any new rules/regulations: 809 688-4400.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i looked it up earlier today and prices start at 250 dollars for sedan and 280 for SUV. in addition to that:
Vehículos Registrados en República Dominicana
Se requiere documentos originales.
Todo vehículo viajará exclusivamente con su dueño.
Un chofer o dueño de vehículo, solamente podrá transportar tan solo un vehículo en el mismo viaje.
Licencia, matrícula y seguro del vehículo, vigentes.
Debe solicitar certificado de Depuración, expedido por el Dpto. De Robo de la Policía Nacional.
Lavar su vehículo y motor antes de cualquier salida. Debe presentar recibo de la estación que lavó su vehículo.
Pasajeros deben adquirir un comprobante de $10.00 expedido por Rentas Internas para la llegada a Puerto Rico.
Deberá adquirir un Seguro de Responsabilidad Pública US $16.50 y el Seguro de ACAA US $35.00 para transitar en Puerto Rico. Vehículos dominicanos podrán viajar a Puerto Rico sólo 60 días al año.
Pasajeros deben adquirir un comprobante de exportación de $10.00 para la salida de Puerto Rico.
No será reembolsable ninguna suma pagada en concepto de cargo por vehículo.
Todo cambio de fecha de viaje por concepto de la transportación de un vehículo está sujeto a un cargo de $50.00.

that gives additional 121.50 dollars in aforementioned fees. plus whatever it costs to wash the car and round up the documents.