New Motoconcho regulations

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Bad News For Ladrones

From DR1 News It is about time.

Motoconchos exempt from new motorcycle restrictions
After decades of a laissez-faire approach, the government announces that it will enforce new measures limiting motorcycle use to just one person. However, motorcycle-taxis, known here as motoconchos, are exempt from the rule. The measures also require both driver and passenger to wear helmets.

The Land Transit Department (DGTT) issued the ban in Resolution 02-16, which goes into effect as of Monday, 15 August 2016.

The DGTT divided motorcycles into those that transport fare-paying passengers (motoconchos), those used for messenger services by private and government entities, and those used for the personal use of the owner.

The DGTT says that for a passenger to be carried on a motorcycle for personal use, an authorization from the DGTT needs to be requested. For the permit to be granted, the applicant needs to meet all the requirements for the motorcycle and motorcycle driver.

The measure is aimed at improving public security. It is estimated that 80% of street robberies are carried out by people on motorcycles.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Another useless law that will be ignored by everyone. But someone needs to score points on how they are fighting crime or something.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Never heard of such a rubbish in all my life... requiring both riders to use a helmet is one thing, banning people carrying someone on the back of their motor is just mind boggling... !!!???

Just another reason for police to hassle people and extort money.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
What about all those parents that transport their children to school.

Nothing like watching a Toddler sandwiched in between 2 "adults" with the mami passenger sometimes even holding a bag of Groceries with the other hand
while zipping down Autopista 5 ...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Never heard of such a rubbish in all my life... requiring both riders to use a helmet is one thing, banning people carrying someone on the back of their motor is just mind boggling... !!!???

Just another reason for police to hassle people and extort money.
Not banning, forcing requirements, including helmets.

Will be interested to see what the requirements are.

Gotta start somewhere...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What about all those parents that transport their children to school.

You need to read the post.

The DGTT says that for a passenger to be carried on a motorcycle for personal use, an authorization from the DGTT needs to be requested. For the permit to be granted, the applicant needs to meet all the requirements for the motorcycle and motorcycle driver.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008

Oddly enough...have you EVER seen Amet on a motorcycle wearing a helmet??? Not in Bavaro...you won't!

Sectur wear them...not Amet...not the national police...

I often see Amet sitting 3 to a moto. First things first...those enforcing have to oblige the laws.

Maybe a little consistency in enforcement might go a long way. For a week or so, you see them "enforcing" a law....say helmets. And then for the next 3 months motos drive by the "seatbelt" checkpoint without a helmet to be seen. This, like all rules of the road will be enforced...when they feel like it. I do not expect any changes. So...I have autorization to take my wife on the back of my Suzuki 800...how are they going to know? I will be pulled over all the time to "check" my papers?

Not a feasible policy what so ever.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

I read the post. I can't see it being enforced, at least not very strictly. The AMET here in Jarabacoa live in the Barrio and transport their own children without helmets. All the AMET here have helmets.

Aug 6, 2006
I read the post. I can't see it being enforced, at least not very strictly. The AMET here in Jarabacoa live in the Barrio and transport their own children without helmets. All the AMET here have helmets.

If enforced, it would lower the number of fatalities.
Not likely to be enforced, though.
The old Spanish saying applies here: "Se obedece, pero no se cumple."
Say what? "one obeys, but does not comply."
Mi caso es especial, se?or oficial...

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
So no more of this?
MOCAJUN2011003-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I took this pic a couple of years ago.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Come on guys, lets throw up some pics..
live chickens, Slaughtered pigs, big arse Propane Bottles..
show us what you got..

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
Yes, we were driving near Licey in Santiago one time and I was passing a moto and there was a little boy , probably barely 3 years old sitting behind the driver, his arms holding on to the drivers fat and sound asleep , eyes closed, head drooping! I was yelling out the window and really wanted to stop the driver and put him to sleep ! I am accustomed to seeing the family on the way to church etc etc etc but that really shook me up. My wife was going nuts ......

It still makes me shutter to think........