Cabanas, best and worst

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There has been some mention of cabanas in recent threads in another forum section but from my recollection it is a subject infrequently mentioned on DR1 of recent times.

Apart from livening up the moderator of this forums recent inactivity, I thought a new thread might give posters an opportunity to vent opinions on these very Dominican institutions, which I personally think are misunderstood.

I post with a modicum of knowledge, having made use of their facilities in various parts of the country particularly during a 30 month period after splitting with my esposa and starting a new monogamous relationship. And I am one of those of the view that one should be cautious inviting a new date back to ones apartment so they work well when dating.

Cabanas serve very well in large part a developing Dominican society living in simple accommodations and offer a safe, secure, private haven for steady and casual relationships to be enjoyed in decent clean surroundings for a small fee with music, movies,drinks and food in places. Now for those that don't get out and around the country and live in fenced communities or tourist destinations and those that visit as tourists, it is a fact that many if not most Dominicans live in quite simple homes. Throughout the country in the country, small villages, towns and the outskirts of the major cities, you will be treated hospitably in the homes of simple block or wood construction with corrugated metal roof and interior walls to 10ft level with cloth doors. And within these confines may live grand-parents, daughters and children with very little privacy. In the cities, and there aren't that many, people rent rooms often sharing with several people or it is a single mother with friends and kids. Of course there are a growing number of better apartments and houses cropping up now but in general there is a significant shortage of good housing throughout the land. There is no privacy for relationships at home for the majority.

Why are they here and not back home? Well think back to home and your past dating. You have motels, you can do it in the car (not a good idea here) or take advantage of parents or friends being out to allow you free time or even have your date back home in the privacy of your sealed room. Is there really a need there?

OK enough said to debate and back to the headline ( and my suggestions may be a few years out of date).

Best cabana:

- a few kilometers north of Piedra Blanca on the south bound carriageway of Duarte. It was newly built about 7 years ago and that showed in its layout, cleanliness and facilities and it was good value with nice new towels.

Worst cabana:

- a toss up between one in Nagua, one in Cotui and one near Cabrera. But Cabrera gets the vote. It is a few miles out of Cabrera on the way to Nagua and was conveniently located near to Playa La Entrada at the time. But it was a small family owned place with just a few rooms with non functional garage doors and leaking noisy a/c's. The Cabrera folk need to make use and seek improvements with their local facilities (WW take note).

As a final comment. Cabanas are to be found all over the country normally on the edges of towns. Santo Domingo has a few cabana cities' but they are spread thin. Most interestingly, from my recollection when driving along the North Coast a few years back, there is I believe only one cabana between Sabaneta and Puerto Plata which strikes me as strange with the huge user base in that area that supposedly use these facilities.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
There has been some mention of cabanas in recent threads in another forum section but from my recollection it is a subject infrequently mentioned on DR1 of recent times.

Apart from livening up the moderator of this forums recent inactivity, I thought a new thread might give posters an opportunity to vent opinions on these very Dominican institutions, which I personally think are misunderstood.

Thanks for trying to liven up the Mars/Venus forum.

If you think cabanas are misunderstood, why post in Mars/Venus?

[video=youtube;8FMdaDEmcDg]x[/video]

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Cobraboy posted in another thread:

Cabanas have multiple uses.

Many in the DR live in small, multi-generational houses where privacy is limited.

I know couples with kids and parents living with them who use cabanas to cap off a "date night."

I have nephews who live in smaller apartments who use those large, 2-level cabanas for parties, bringing a sound system, drink and food with bunch of their friends converging for a few hours of partying.

We use cabanas when we travel to Santo Domingo. The convenience of just pulling in and not having to go through the front desk hassle is so nice! We have a "Cabana Bag" ready at all times with better sheets, a blanket, pillows, coffee maker, and even our own shower head (they are usually missing in a cabana). RD$1200 for 9 hours overnight with a simple breakfast just can't be beat. We bring an extra fold-out table, water and chargers and we're all set for the night. We probably stay in a cabana 35 nights a year, and have even discussed future longer-term rentals with the owner.

Certainly cabanas are used for affairs and prostitution, no doubt. But to say that is their only use is just flat incorrect.

We spoke with the owner---it one of the nice cabanas on the Malecon around Luperon---and he claims almost half of his clients are salesman, short-stay overnighters like us or family/couples, and stays especially busy when one of the local societies, like the Spanish or Lebanese, have a big event.

Windeguy posted in another thread:

It is entirely feasible that Cabanas have more than one use.

I suspect that now that the government is focussing in on prostitution, that just one or two examples of Cabana use for prostitutes out of the thousands of privacy/concubine uses will be enough for that Cabana to be shut down and forfeited due to promoting prostitution (in case anyone says that prostitution is not illegal in and of itself, while promotion of prostitution is illegal).

The girls are going to have to get their own places and be entirely on their own as private contractors.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Some cabanas in Santiago and Santo Domingo are simply amazing!

We stayed in one in Santo Domingo a few years ago that was at least 2500sf, two stories, incredible facilities, a two car garage, hot in-suite jacuzzi with vent fans, quality furnishings, microwave and fridge (not one of those little cubes) and had room service as fine as any Marriott or Sheraton I've ever stayed in.

Give me a hot plate & I could LIVE there in style.

Part of our tours, time permitting, usually the day of their departure, is a tour of a cabana, usually Bora Bora in Santiago. Guests are amazed!

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have posted before that there is a cabana on 30 de Mayo/Luperon that is called 'The Uni' and is well used by students of University Carib and O & M apparently.

If you ever pass O & M by Independencia late pm you will see plenty of single businessmen in fancy jipetas picking up bright young things. They are also upgrading the drop off area and parking outside University Carib now so that will help some of those jipeta drivers, lol.

They may have a venue a few miles down the Malecon heading west?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Some cabanas in Santiago and Santo Domingo are simply amazing!

We stayed in one in Santo Domingo a few years ago that was at least 2500sf, two stories, incredible facilities, a two car garage, hot in-suite jacuzzi with vent fans, quality furnishings, microwave and fridge (not one of those little cubes) and had room service as fine as any Marriott or Sheraton I've ever stayed in.

Give me a hot plate & I could LIVE there in style.

Part of our tours, time permitting, usually the day of their departure, is a tour of a cabana, usually Bora Bora in Santiago. Guests are amazed!

I think that is smart business.

Everybody I know remarks on how unique the cabana idea is.

Why not make it an opportunity for some NC visitors to adapt and to take in something different along with a car wash or two?

Last edited by a moderator:

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My use of cabanas is when I get into STI at 3 in the mananita and the buses at Caribe Tours to get to Puerto Plata aren't chuffing around until after 7:00 or so. One quick sleep ar una cabana and then to the bus.
Der Fish

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Not the same experience without a Dominicana

My use of cabanas is when I get into STI at 3 in the mananita and the buses at Caribe Tours to get to Puerto Plata aren't chuffing around until after 7:00 or so. One quick sleep ar una cabana and then to the bus.
Der Fish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
On the Nagua side of Cabrera , there are now newer ones.
Yes, the older ones are a bit shabby.

I'll make a note to test them out.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Ju10 talk about cabanas and car washes? You got a hold of some blue pills or what?

Rant begins....

Perhaps it comes as a surprise that we are not all pot bellied, alcoholic, mongering old farts living here and contributing to DR1, who can hold a conversation, know the country well, have chosen to reside legally here and can attract decent and very attractive Dominicanas who don't have to sell their bodies to maintain a family of different kids and an extended family.

And equally we don't need to sit in steamy smoke filled bars with over used plastic women all around to get out thrills and can find enjoyment with Dominicans throughout the country enjoying their country and their lifestyle which does include car washes and cabanas.

Your type of worthless post is exactly the type that makes DR1 of less value and more like a comic. Try and contribute positively because a lot more goes on in this country and maybe by start reading the news stories that Dolores translates daily.

Rant over.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Was going to delete but you put your foot in your mouth so it stays.

Better than putting something else huh?

Pity he cant contribute about the thread. Let's wait and see what his mentor writes and if it has any value or relevance or is more of the comic material.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Please enlighten us.

Considering it is a city of over 2.5 million, I have not seen that many in reality.

San Isidro is the biggest concentration to my knowledge followed by 30 de Mayo/Luperon. There are a few around Carrefour. A couple around Mega Centro, a few along Autopista Las Americas and I've heard of a couple in Herrera, one in Villa Mella and not much more.

Now drive along Autopista Duarte to Santiago and you will see plenty from near Bonao onwards. Equally drive west on Sanchezfrom Santo Domingo to Azua and you see many too.

Compare that with an absolute dearth in all the tourist resort areas and one quickly realizes cabanas basically serve the normal Dominicans in their matters of dating and affairs.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
These cabanas not having windows is a good and bad thing , but do the rooms have good soundproofing?
There has been a similiar concept in the poconos, pennsylvania PA. It is a cross between all inclusive and cabana. Mount airy lodge, poconos palace, look it up. Wonder why this concept has ever existed in the DR. Itd like a lovers compound, and was very popular in the 70's-80's

I have visited in la vega, santiago, and on a back road in Puerto Plata. Another in the capitol. Word of warning, dont mess with the jucuzzi unless you sanitize it. But damn, i get a boom boom room, i dont have to look at reception, order beer and frituras thru the whole in the wall, freaking awesome.

I dont use their protection provided, always bring my own. But that ice cold, no window, fun room with the music pumping loud, no worries man....

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I post with a modicum of knowledge, having made use of their facilities in various parts of the country particularly during a 30 month period after splitting with my esposa and starting a new monogamous relationship. And I am one of those of the view that one should be cautious inviting a new date back to ones apartment so they work well when dating.

Cabanas serve very well in large part a developing Dominican society living in simple accommodations and offer a safe, secure, private haven for steady and casual relationships to be enjoyed in decent clean surroundings for a small fee with music, movies,drinks and food in places. Now for those that don't get out and around the country and live in fenced communities or tourist destinations and those that visit as tourists, it is a fact that many if not most Dominicans live in quite simple homes. Throughout the country in the country, small villages, towns and the outskirts of the major cities, you will be treated hospitably in the homes of simple block or wood construction with corrugated metal roof and interior walls to 10ft level with cloth doors. And within these confines may live grand-parents, daughters and children with very little privacy. In the cities, and there aren't that many, people rent rooms often sharing with several people or it is a single mother with friends and kids. Of course there are a growing number of better apartments and houses cropping up now but in general there is a significant shortage of good housing throughout the land. There is no privacy for relationships at home for the majority.

Why are they here and not back home? Well think back to home and your past dating. You have motels, you can do it in the car (not a good idea here) or take advantage of parents or friends being out to allow you free time or even have your date back home in the privacy of your sealed room. Is there really a need there?

OK enough said to debate and back to the headline ( and my suggestions may be a few years out of date).

Best cabana:

- a few kilometers north of Piedra Blanca on the south bound carriageway of Duarte. It was newly built about 7 years ago and that showed in its layout, cleanliness and facilities and it was good value with nice new towels.

Worst cabana:

- a toss up between one in Nagua, one in Cotui and one near Cabrera. But Cabrera gets the vote. It is a few miles out of Cabrera on the way to Nagua and was conveniently located near to Playa La Entrada at the time. But it was a small family owned place with just a few rooms with non functional garage doors and leaking noisy a/c's. The Cabrera folk need to make use and seek improvements with their local facilities (WW take note).

As a final comment. Cabanas are to be found all over the country normally on the edges of towns. Santo Domingo has a few cabana cities' but they are spread thin. Most interestingly, from my recollection when driving along the North Coast a few years back, there is I believe only one cabana between Sabaneta and Puerto Plata which strikes me as strange with the huge user base in that area that supposedly use these facilities.

Why no names?