Strength for the Journey Seeking Volunteers

Aug 21, 2007
Strength for the Journey is a legal Dominican Republic non-profit that works on the North Coast providing free enrichment classes and activities for poor Dominican Children. We believe education can provide the capacity for children to emerge from poverty and change their life course. Currently, we operate a learning center in Sosua near Infiniti Blu, above Latino Market and a second in Jamao.

The center in Sosua will open a new session on August 29, from 4:15 - 6:00 p.m., operating every Monday and Tuesday. The Jamao site runs classes on Wednesday afternoons, Thursday all day, and Saturday mornings.

We would love for you to join in and be a part of Strength for the Journey. Both sites are in need of volunteer class assistants. If you are unable to volunteer, we welcome you to stop by and see the great things going on.

If you have questions or want information, feel free to contact me via PM.

http://sftjourney.org/en/en_home

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Lindsey can you give us an idea of what you are expecting (work load) from the volunteers? I looked at your website and it mentions classes in English, world news, karate, music and so on. In which field are the volunteers needed?

Thanks,

Aug 21, 2007
Lindsey can you give us an idea of what you are expecting (work load) from the volunteers? I looked at your website and it mentions classes in English, world news, karate, music and so on. In which field are the volunteers needed?

Thanks,

I imagine you are asking about helping at our Sosua site. We moved the previous schedule of classes to Jamao, and in Sosua are now using a different format. We are operating like an after school program where kids come to take part in the same activities (board games, art, recreation, educational videos, iPads, etc, etc.) but they are not packaged as classes. The schedule of activities is flexible, so that if someone comes to town and wants to do yoga with the kids, for example, I can easily work them into the program.

We were forced to do this. As the reputation of our classes grew, people were coming from Sosua Abajo, Maranatha, La Union, and further to register their children in our classes. They were smart. They would send the maid or gardener or someone who appeared poor to come register the child. But when class day came around, the children were dropped off in jeepetas.

We are a foundation for the poor of Sosua. As of June, almost 50% of our kids were not poor. And the wealthy children did not befriend my poor kids. I could not continue this way. I could not use my donors' dollars that way. I could not cheat my teachers, who were working for me at a reduced rate, but could easily be teaching these same children in their private ballet, karate, guitar and English classes. Thus, I think this format will still serve Sosua's poor kids and the professionals will no longer be interested.

So, to answer your short question with a long response (I apologize), a volunteer could come for an hour (or more) once a week, assist in planned activities, whatever they may be, or may bring a talent of their own which they would like to teach or share. We are now very flexible.

Would love to have you and others participate. When we give to others, we receive in return. The kids keep us young. And they are just plain fun!

Lindsey

Aug 21, 2007
k2lac4.jpg
[/IMG]

Today, I am happy to announce that Strength for the Journey now has non-profit status in the Dominican Republic and also was recently approved as a legal 501 c3 in the US!

We have come a long way since first banding together as a group of 8 individuals to rebuild a house after the 2010 Haiti Earthquake. Now, we have a membership of more than 500.

Strength for the Journey provides a menu of 14 different enrichment classes in Jamao al Norte, We enroll about 130 children, and our adult English class has 20 participants.

We believe that education will create capabilities that help the poor change life's course.

Jamao is a small pueblo with community members and families willing to work together for a common cause. Many give us rich support through volunteerism that buoys our work. Our classroom space has been provided at no cost to us by the Catholic Church. The Jamao Community Center allows us use of their space for our karate classes.

Our recently awarded non-profit status makes it easier for those wishing to help to donate. Please visit our website at

http://sftjourney.org

And thanks for being our Strength for the Journey.