Restaurant recommendation for Bella Vista (Santo Domingo)

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I'm meeting with a Dominican friend I met on my last visit to Santo Domingo. I would like to treat her to lunch somewhere very close to the Bella Vista Mall. I'm looking for a mid-range restaurant with table service, nothing too fancy but still a place safe for a gringo to be. I have no romantic intentions and she is a professional. Something along the lines of Applebee's or Chili's. Any suggestions?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Chef Pepper (across the street from Bella Vista mall). And in the building of The Body Shop there are some restaurants on street level.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I'm meeting with a Dominican friend I met on my last visit to Santo Domingo. I would like to treat her to lunch somewhere very close to the Bella Vista Mall. I'm looking for a mid-range restaurant with table service, nothing too fancy but still a place safe for a gringo to be. I have no romantic intentions and she is a professional. Something along the lines of Applebee's or Chili's. Any suggestions?

There is also a Chilis right across the street from the mall

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I love Chef Peppers. That gets my vote. It's only a half block west of the Bella Vista Mall, on the north side of the street.

Frank

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I love Chef Peppers. That gets my vote. It's only a half block west of the Bella Vista Mall, on the north side of the street.

Frank

If you go east and turn right on calle embajador where the Embajador hotel is. On right side there is a few restaurants including a second 'Don Nestor" Argentine steakk house. It kicks ass on Chef pepper if you like beef!!!

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Chef Pepper (across the street from Bella Vista mall). And in the building of The Body Shop there are some restaurants on street level.

the service at chef peppers sucks ....food is good ...but no management ...I was there last month early in the evening ...I counted 7 customers and there were 8 waiters ...every single one was on his cell phone facing away from the customers and the box on the table to call for your bill or call the waiter doesn't work ...unless you were to throw it at their heads
I complained to the ma?tre d and she just smiled

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If you go east and turn right on calle embajador where the Embajador hotel is. On right side there is a few restaurants including a second 'Don Nestor" Argentine steakk house. It kicks ass on Chef pepper if you like beef!!!

Yes, and there is an amazing Italian place there too. The name escapes me, maybe BigBird remembers?????

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

In that same area is Il Giardino (thanks AE).

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Il-Giardino/852903018086197

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaur...anto_Domingo_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

LOL AE, we were posting at the same time............

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Going east on Ave. Sarasota just before Lincoln on the left is Tony Romas. One of the very few chain restaurants (if not only) that I think is worth the $$.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
There is also a Chilis right across the street from the mall

As confirmed there is a Chilis opposite the Mall along with two other small restaurants. The Chilis is very relaxed and never too busy and you can sit inside or imo the better option on the terrace outside and people watch....as they head into the most expensive gym in Santo Domingo above.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not in Bella Vista, but what my wife and I have found a very nice spot to have lunch or dinner is Sonoma in Piantini. Not too crowded, very good food, and especially consistent. And good prices. They have a restaurant also in Agora, but I prefer their place in Calle Federico Geraldino.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Nearest the Embajador there is Asador Argentino, the Argentinian steak house that was on Independencia near Gomez for many years. I wouldn't recommend any of the others on that strip. The Italian place next to Asador Argentina isn't bad, it has better service and better food than Chef Pepper and much better atmosphere than Chilis. Someone recommend Chino de Mariscos, it's OK. There are lots of food court mall choices if that's acceptable. I just noticed you asked for something along the lines of Chilis or Applebees. I withdraw my recommendations. You can go to Chilis in Bella Vista or Applebees in Naco instead.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I like Sonoma. It is just as you described. I appreciate its low key atmosphere. So many other places around Piantini try too hard to prove how upscale and sophisticated they are. I guess it is what most of their clientele want.

Not in Bella Vista, but what my wife and I have found a very nice spot to have lunch or dinner is Sonoma in Piantini. Not too crowded, very good food, and especially consistent. And good prices. They have a restaurant also in Agora, but I prefer their place in Calle Federico Geraldino.