European Travellers

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Has anybody encountered any Danes the Cabarete area before? I know a lot of Germans travel. I used to live in DK and am hoping to run into somebody I could speak Danish with.

richard

Jan 1, 2002
iI don't know about Cabarete but there are some Danes who patronize the Britannia Pub in Sosua with whom you can snak Dansk. Skole!

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
Im a dane

Hi,

Well, as you can read in the topic, I am a dane. I don't live in the Dominican Republic tho, but I was there last summer. I lived in Sosua, and went to Carbarete too and it was the holiday of my life.
I can't wait to get back there, and I will do that within 1-1? years, that's for sure.

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Jeg skal vaere in Playa Dorada paa mar 6, saa skal vi til Cabarete fra mar 10 til mar 13. I would love any opportunity to meet with any danes in the area while I am there!

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
Where are you from chatbug? I'll speak english here, cause I don't know how Danish you speak.

Have you been to the Dominican Republic before? I have just read about the Riu Mambo and Riu Merenque hotels, do you know if they are any good and the areas they're located?

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Riu hotels

Are located just west of Puerto Plata, about 5 km I would say. I recommend the new EMI resort Sun Village over these hotels (same area, about 2km closer to Puerto Plata than the RIU hotels) in a heartbeat.

marc

chatbug

Feb 17, 2002
Hvor kommer jeg fra?

I live in Canada. I was and exchange student in 1994/1995. I lived in a town called Jyderup and went to gymnasium in Kalandborg. I think I am still fluent... however it is very rarely I get to speak Danish any more. I should be able to understand you if you want to type paa dansk.

Yes, I have heard of the Riu hotels. I am a travel agent here in Canada - they are very popular with our high end clients. Riu is spanish owned, so the quality of service is quite good. Marc is right though... the EMI resorts are also great. My clients have told me that both resorts are rather secluded - you will need to take a cab to Playa Dorada or Sosua - they are not within walking distance. If you like to venture out on your own every day, then you would probably be happier in Sosua.

Now keep in mind that I have not yet been to Dominican Republic. This is all based on feedback from people I have sent there. I can definitely give you a better idea of the areas when I get back!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Chatbug, when you get here you have to visit Santiago.
and do it on a Friday or Saturday, okey?
If Friday, I can show you some of the cigar factories that drive Canadians wild....On Saturday we can just see what there is to see.

HB

Jimmi

Feb 19, 2002
www.sivan.dk
Jeg pr?ver p? dansk

In Danish:

Det var da sjovt. Min stores?ster bor i Jyderup med sin mand, og hun har ogs? boet mange ?r i Kalundborg. Lille verden :).

Er det ikke sp?ndende at arbejde i den branche? Jeg er da godt misundelig over du skal til den Dominikanske Republik.

Jeg s?tter pris p? at man kan bev?ge sig rundt i byen, s? det kan jo godt v?re jeg ikke skal bo p? Riu hotellerne. Sosua kan jeg godt lide, det er en hyggelig by. Men s?lgerne er godt nok irriterende :).

And in English:

Thats funny. My bigsister lives in Jyderup with her husband, and she has lived in Kalundborg for many years as well.

Isnt it exciting to work in the travel business? I envy you, now that you are going to the Dominican Republic.

Jeg appreciate that it's possible to walk around town, so I guess the Riu resorts aint my thing. I like Sosua, it's a nice town all tho the salesmen are a pain the a** :).