Robbed in Bavaro

Status
Not open for further replies.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
The murder was reported by the Canadian Broadcasting National news yesterday. Tourist season is not that far away. Not a good thing to broadcast. A lot of Canadians shied away from Mexico last year because of the violence against tourists. Violence against Canadians in the DR is still rare, however, media hyped stories have the ability to affect Canada-DR tourism.

And do you think DR government cares?
Recently a friend of mine, foreigner, was drugged and robbed at a prominent bar in Bavaro by prostitutes hanging out at that bar! Went to the police and they asked the victim to get the video footage which the bar didn't have so the police said they cannot help. This is not the first case in that bar and No my friend wasn't looking for hookers, these ladies came and chat with him and insisted he invite them for a drink.
government doesn't give a damn as to what happens to foreigners.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
And do you think DR government cares?
Recently a friend of mine, foreigner, was drugged and robbed at a prominent bar in Bavaro by prostitutes hanging out at that bar! Went to the police and they asked the victim to get the video footage which the bar didn't have so the police said they cannot help. This is not the first case in that bar and No my friend wasn't looking for hookers, these ladies came and chat with him and insisted he invite them for a drink.
government doesn't give a damn as to what happens to foreigners.

Interesting story. You say "drugged and robbed at a prominent bar." The robbery happened at the bar?

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Interesting story. You say "drugged and robbed at a prominent bar." The robbery happened at the bar?
There case of robbery happened at the bar, the victim was not drugged This particular case, the victim was given a drink, he neither speak English or spanish, lives next to the bar! Woke up in his appartment, stolen of his tablet, money etc. How did this happen? Well in this prominent bar there's two people who are always looking out to trap foreigners. They speak perfect english and spanish and are friends with every gringo that goes to the bar. They sent the prostitutes to the victims table and as mentioned earlier, the victim woke up next morning in his appartment robbed. I made a detailed enquiry as things were not matching up and found out that the origin of these robberies in that bar.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
There case of robbery happened at the bar, the victim was not drugged This particular case, the victim was given a drink, he neither speak English or spanish, lives next to the bar! Woke up in his appartment, stolen of his tablet, money etc. How did this happen? Well in this prominent bar there's two people who are always looking out to trap foreigners. They speak perfect english and spanish and are friends with every gringo that goes to the bar. They sent the prostitutes to the victims table and as mentioned earlier, the victim woke up next morning in his appartment robbed. I made a detailed enquiry as things were not matching up and found out that the origin of these robberies in that bar.

Can you pm me with the name of the bar? And who are the two people. I go to at least four bars in Bavaro on a regular basis - I think it cannot be one of the ones where we go. I know the owners or manager of each of these. And, at least three of them would not let this happen. I sure don't want to go to this bar.

Not that I buy hookers drinks - buying for all three of us that usually go and random others is enough : ) And, we always leave together without anyone else.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I call a "aBull$hit"on the entire story!!!!!!
Ccccc c

you may be right... but why do you say that ?

was it not also in Bavaro (going by memory) also where an AI was hit, like 8 rooms robbed of everything.. I dont ever recall reading about it here, unless I missed it
And of Course the Hotel completely denied it, like 8 people who dont know each other are going to Conspire to make up a story like that.
things happen, just cuz you did not hear or read about it does not mean it did not happen..

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
The drugged part is what I never believe. Any time you start a robbery story with "In a bar" and "prostitutes at the table", I'm like okay, but as soon as you throw in "drugged", I start thinking bull.

I've heard too many guys say they were drugged, and in reality, they got blind drunk with hookers they didn't know, then they took them home, and the ladies woke up first, helped themselves to anything of value, and decided to leave.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Recently a friend of mine, foreigner, was drugged and robbed at a prominent bar in Bavaro
by prostitutes hanging out at that bar!

Note to self:
When invited to have free drink with prostitutes at bar in third world country....say no.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The drugged part is what I never believe. Any time you start a robbery story with "In a bar" and "prostitutes at the table", I'm like okay, but as soon as you throw in "drugged", I start thinking bull.

I've heard too many guys say they were drugged, and in reality, they got blind drunk with hookers they didn't know, then they took them home, and the ladies woke up first, helped themselves to anything of value, and decided to leave.

You are probably RIGHT..
But its not that hard to drug someone , esp when they been drinking.. there was a rash of " roofie" drugging a little while back , I think 2010 11

Also , from my own experience, did you ever get a pain killer from your doctor, and wake up like 2 PM the next day... a day you were SUPPOSED to be at work, at like 9 am, and you slept right through the alarm and all.
yeah.. it has happened to all us, in the most innocent of situations ..

Now add Alcohol, even just 2 drinks to any of those drugs ..
its not so hard to drug someone without them even knowing it.

and usually waking up in the afternoon, after sleeping like 14 + Hours straight , is a pretty darn good indicator..
Maybe that is what tipped off the old man , that plus all his Stuff is gone ..

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Can I suggest that if anyone knows a tourist who has something serious happen to them which isn't their fault, and they aren't happy with how Cestur has dealt with it, the tourist then makes contact with the Dominican Tourist Board in their home country. These are generally staffed by very well connected Dominican staff, and they take any complaints from tourists very very seriously. Obviously this should not be abused and only used in the case that something really is serious and the tourist police have not done anything. A guest in my hotel was assaulted and was very upset, she spoke to the Dominican Tourist Board when she got home and they got the matter very firmly resolved within just a few hours.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Can I suggest that if anyone knows a tourist who has something serious happen to them which isn't their fault, and they aren't happy with how Cestur has dealt with it, the tourist then makes contact with the Dominican Tourist Board in their home country. These are generally staffed by very well connected Dominican staff, and they take any complaints from tourists very very seriously. Obviously this should not be abused and only used in the case that something really is serious and the tourist police have not done anything. A guest in my hotel was assaulted and was very upset, she spoke to the Dominican Tourist Board when she got home and they got the matter very firmly resolved within just a few hours.

This guy has come here to work. Totally new, doesn't speak English fluently or spanish at all. Doesn't know how things work. This is the first time this guy is outside his home town and doesn't know how the world is outside. He is at fault cos he did have quite a few drinks without any back up or any friend to take him home. To be honest, he is my employee! I know he doesn't have friends here yet.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I don't get why when people have a serious problem with a place ....why not name it ...why hide the guilty party ...name and shame

KITTU

May 13, 2015

Well i accept your statement that getting blind drunk is super common. In this particular case, as i was investigating to find out who that prostitute was as the victim in this case is important to me. He was drugged, why i know. I just do i mean people believe or not but i just want to warn foreigners beware.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
i am still drilling the victim to find out exactly what happened and i do know that i will not get any help from the staff of the bar cos they don't give a rats a**e.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Years ago, I was staying at jaragua. I went to the bar to have some beer and watch the live band. I have been known to drink a lot of beer if I am in the mood. That night I had just arrived from a ong trip and was not going to go out, hence staying at merengue bar.
After maybe 5 beers, which for me is next to nothing, I started feeling woozy and like I was going to pass out. I didn't even wait for bill but walked to elevator and went up to my room.
I must have just crashed on the bed immediately and woke up at like 4 PM the next day.I have never in my life felt like I was going to pass out.

I know in the bar many of the women would leave a napkin over their drink glass when they went to restroom.I couldn't remember if I had left a beer unattended.
What made no sense was I was not having a conversation with anyone. Just chilling and watching the band. So if it was a hooker trying to roll me, it would have made sense if we were hanging out and planning on going to my room.
Otherwise what could she get out of my passing out at the bar? Still a mystery to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.