No visas to be issued by Dominican consulates until further notice

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
As per the attached memo from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, dated August 23, 2016, Dominican consulates abroad will not issue new visas until further notice.

Attachments

• IMG_5573.jpg
    IMG_5573.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 199
Jan 7, 2016
Guess too many expats have been violating the terms of their visas? Or is this retaliation for the U.S. refusal to issue visas to Dominicans wishing to visit?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Guess too many expats have been violating the terms of their visas? Or is this retaliation for the U.S. refusal to issue visas to Dominicans wishing to visit?

It's all tr consulates, not just the ones in the US. Besides, US consulate has been giving out visas easier than ever. More likely this has to do with Miguel Vargas Maldonado being the new guy in charge and wanting to straighten something out.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Some people still have the visa in there pasport from the regulazathion plan good for over anouther year. And thy just gave all the people with no
Pasport anouther year. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Some people still have the visa in there pasport from the regulazathion plan good for over anouther year. And thy just gave all the people with no
Pasport anouther year. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

So back to normal we go. All that sweat and nightmares of sending us all back home on a big bus GONE ;)

Tt_er

Jan 30, 2016
I guess I don't follow....does this pertain to a pending cr1 for my wife who resides in the DR waiting to come to the states?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I guess I don't follow....does this pertain to a pending cr1 for my wife who resides in the DR waiting to come to the states?

Not at all. This has to do with the rest of the world wanting to work or live and in some cases visit the Dominican Republic.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sr. Guzman, How does this affect a gringo who has a temp residency? do we continue to renew each year? if we are due to apply for permanent next year?

Is this temporary or could carry on for awhile?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I suspect this is just intil the new guy has his people in place. Otherwise there could be an orgy of illegal visa selling at various consulates knowing the window of cashing in is closing...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
New format and procedures being introduced to the system.
All to be linked to the DR's database.

Just a matter of timing.
It will be much, much more transparent and less corruption prone.

A very positive step for all of those that need to utilize the DR visas process.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
New format and procedures being introduced to the system.
All to be linked to the DR's database.

Just a matter of timing.
It will be much, much more transparent and less corruption prone.

A very positive step for all of those that need to utilize the DR visas process.

Is this expected to take weeks, months or ...?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
So back to normal we go. All that sweat and nightmares of sending us all back home on a big bus GONE ;)

I disagree Anna. I've personally interviewed three Haitians recently who have said that they are unable to get work because of their visa situation. The tightening up on who can and can't work is definitely having an effect, and I think a lot of people who previously saw DR as a free-for-all where anyone could stay as long as they like and work are now realising that that is no longer the case. No big bus for gringos certainly, but the policy is working.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I suspect this is just intil the new guy has his people in place. Otherwise there could be an orgy of illegal visa selling at various consulates knowing the window of cashing in is closing...
That's what my sister in law, vice sindica ( of a tiny town) told us tonight.

Aug 21, 2007
I disagree Anna. I've personally interviewed three Haitians recently who have said that they are unable to get work because of their visa situation. The tightening up on who can and can't work is definitely having an effect, and I think a lot of people who previously saw DR as a free-for-all where anyone could stay as long as they like and work are now realising that that is no longer the case. No big bus for gringos certainly, but the policy is working.

I tend to believe this is correct. I see tightening up in the banking system already.

Lindsey