What's Happening in LT???????

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Anyone out there?? Nobody posting on the NE thread. What gives? Give us some gossip, anything??

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
ju10prd;1728811 Looks like a terminal for cruise ships is being pushed hard against local objections. QUOTE said:
<groans> here we go again :(

They need that is Samana. This will create jobs and help the entire region. Cruise ships are already in the bay and have to ferry tourists into town or to Cayo Levantado. Any new news on the Golf Course in LT?

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
While it might be good for some x-tra tourism & create a few jobs short term, you can certainly kiss the whales goodbye as a terminal/port will eventually drive them away to cleaner pastures/waters...

Regarding the golf in LT, its again dead in the water.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As a general comment on the whole peninsula.........

there are too few tourists to support a full blown golf course -
they cost about $1M US a year to maintain

IMO, the main reason for the dearth of tourists is the hotel capacities - lack of.

Hence an underutilized airport, no golf courses in sight.....

Until the area- the Peninsula and the north coast generally- ups its game, not much will change.

The gov't is trying... autopistas to improve access. plans for a better north coast road.
I even hear 24hr power will be coming.!!!! What a thought !!!??

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
the main reason for the dearth of tourists is the hotel capacities - lack of.

Nail on the Head!!... Regarding power, LT used to have pretty much 24hr power until the gov stepped in.. Sure its cheaper than before but the service now sucks..

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Yep , AZS is a sleepy little airport. Two - four flights per day any time I have been there. It is slowly getting more flight options.
For the first time this year I have a direct Air Canada flight from Ottawa. YEAH.

The toll highway is great but the taxi ride to LT is damn expensive at $75-$80 USD.

I am fine with LT and the peninsula remaining a sleepy little area with few flights etc.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
As a general comment on the whole peninsula.........

there are too few tourists to support a full blown golf course -
they cost about $1M US a year to maintain

IMO, the main reason for the dearth of tourists is the hotel capacities - lack of.

Hence an underutilized airport, no golf courses in sight.....

Until the area- the Peninsula and the north coast generally- ups its game, not much will change.

The gov't is trying... autopistas to improve access. plans for a better north coast road.
I even hear 24hr power will be coming.!!!! What a thought !!!??

I guess the headline news from the Presidents visit got way laid.

Dominican today reported it like this.....

Dominican Republic resort town to get a US$103.2M revamp

Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic.- President Danilo Medina on Thursday said the government will fully support the relaunch of Samana’s (northeast) second biggest town, and asked residents to be willing to cede to make it possible.
Medina arrived in the company of several committee of officials who announced the reconstruction of the beach, a new hospital, a landfill, and a sewage treatment plant which residents demanded from the president during a surprise visit last Sunday.
He also proposed a committee of community leaders, government agencies, neighborhood boards and business leaders to oversee the works, but warned that if they want to benefit from tourism in the area, they have to cooperate.
For his part Tourism minister Francisco Javier Garcia announced the reconstruction of the beaches at a cost of more than US$100 million, with a call for tenders.*
He also announced construction of the Tourist Promenade Bonita, to link Las Terrenas with Playa Bonita.
"We will build the landfill of the town at the site of the old landfill," Garcia said.
Public Works minister Gonzalo Castillo said the hospital will be built at a cos of RD$170 million and announced that all of Las Terrenas’ streets and sidewalks will be paved and the curbs will be rebuilt.

Yep the golf course looks on the back burner again but as far as hotel capacity is concerned it is growing albeit slowly and that's good imo because LT lacks the infrastructure at present for hordes. Don't forget the new hotel in LG and the extension in Portillo. At least getting a hundred million for public works is a good start for a town which has decent sidewalks......simply shows what happens if you cooperate the government line on the tourist model desired....family and couple sustainable tourism. I like the idea of a link from Playa Bonita to LT.

As for electricity, you can blame the locals and a few agitators for the mess calling in the government.

Anyhow, I can assure you there are some interesting hospitality developments still in the pipeline.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I guess the headline news from the Presidents visit got way laid.

Dominican today reported it like this.....

Dominican Republic resort town to get a US$103.2M revamp

Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic.- President Danilo Medina on Thursday said the government will fully support the relaunch of Samana’s (northeast) second biggest town, and asked residents to be willing to cede to make it possible.
Medina arrived in the company of several committee of officials who announced the reconstruction of the beach, a new hospital, a landfill, and a sewage treatment plant which residents demanded from the president during a surprise visit last Sunday.
He also proposed a committee of community leaders, government agencies, neighborhood boards and business leaders to oversee the works, but warned that if they want to benefit from tourism in the area, they have to cooperate.
For his part Tourism minister Francisco Javier Garcia announced the reconstruction of the beaches at a cost of more than US$100 million, with a call for tenders.*
He also announced construction of the Tourist Promenade Bonita, to link Las Terrenas with Playa Bonita.
"We will build the landfill of the town at the site of the old landfill," Garcia said.
Public Works minister Gonzalo Castillo said the hospital will be built at a cos of RD$170 million and announced that all of Las Terrenas’ streets and sidewalks will be paved and the curbs will be rebuilt.

Yep the golf course looks on the back burner again but as far as hotel capacity is concerned it is growing albeit slowly and that's good imo because LT lacks the infrastructure at present for hordes. Don't forget the new hotel in LG and the extension in Portillo. At least getting a hundred million for public works is a good start for a town which has decent sidewalks......simply shows what happens if you cooperate the government line on the tourist model desired....family and couple sustainable tourism. I like the idea of a link from Playa Bonita to LT.

As for electricity, you can blame the locals and a few agitators for the mess calling in the government.

Anyhow, I can assure you there are some interesting hospitality developments still in the pipeline.

I had seen the press release about the gov investment in LT. They should start with cleaning up the river that meanders through the town and empty into the sea. The link to Playa Bonita is long overdue. Myself and a friend tried to walk over the loma to Playa Bonita and were turned around with the guard saying it was private property. The government investment will certainly be a good thing. Thanks for the info

matt77y

Jan 4, 2003
I believe that the biggest structural problem LT has (concerning attracting more tourism) is that the road is right between the beach and the first row properties. I mean who wants to spend their holidays on a beach with the constant noise and smell from all the motocochos? And I guess for families with small children safty is also a concern with the traffic. Unlike in Punta Cana (or Coson for that matter).

What do you guys think?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I believe that the biggest structural problem LT has (concerning attracting more tourism) is that the road is right between the beach and the first row properties. I mean who wants to spend their holidays on a beach with the constant noise and smell from all the motocochos? And I guess for families with small children safty is also a concern with the traffic. Unlike in Punta Cana (or Coson for that matter).

What do you guys think?

Traffic is definitely a problem for LT and the road along the beach to Punta Popi is both narrow and full of traffic. But that section of beach is not where the discerning traveler would chose ones hotel.......and the accommodation on offer on that stretch is not so interesting.

In the other direction along Playa Las Balenas, the traffic at weekends can become a pain. I lived in an apartment just beyond Hotel Alisei for a year not so long ago and it was in general a very peaceful location and would suit a family. There are some decent places to stay along this section of beach.

As mentioned above, there is no way to transit towards Playa Bonita at the end of the road along Playa Las Balenas and so at weekends one has a constant back and forth flow of traffic. There is limited parking too and the authorities stop people parking on the beach which is good. A continuation of a road....even a path.... to Playa Bonita, would be great.

I also lived on Playa Bonita for a few months, and the fact they have the road behind the hotels and apartments makes this beach a haven of tranquility....and it is an exceptional beach too. I recall travelling up a narrow road along the beach a few years back and this is now the footpath......such a good idea that was.

I didn't live on the beach at Playa Coson but rented in the hills above, but was on the beach daily. I do hope they keep the road behind the properties as they develop and do hope public beach access is maintained to this wonderfully long truly Caribbean beach with coconut palms baying over the golden sands