open bank account for canadian

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hmmm
I don't recall that being reported here....

A bit difficult perhaps and unpredictable at times - but doable by most accounts.

Try more banks........ see if that works

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At some point you'll need a cedula to have a bank account in this country. The banks are switching to the new rules pretty much at their own pace and without any sort of published timeline. Some banks will still open an account for you with just a passport, others won't. Sometimes you can find a branch within the same bank that will while other branches will not.

Regardless, at some point in time, you'll be contacted to produce a cedula if you wish to keep your account open. That could be next month or much further down the road, no one outside the govt and the individual banks really knows.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
May be true, Buster.

Same thing happened with phones not too long ago.........
The user was obliged to 'register'... as resident, visitor....whatever

It seems anonymity is disappearing

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Not easy but possible

I am American not Canadian but it was a 6 month nightmare to open my account with Banco Popular. They asked for three specific papers. I provided those. Then they asked for more papers. I got those then they asked for another. It took six months because I would have to wait until I traveled home and get the additional documentation. The worst was that they wanted a letter of recommendation from my employer. I kept explaining that I was retired and had no employer. I finally went to my long time employer and talked to a friend in Human Resources that was able to write a letter. Finally I got my account.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you don't like what one bank or branch of that bank wants just go to another branch and you will hear something different. Banco Santa Cruz seems to be the easiest bank to get an account now.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Sky you are 100% true "don't like change", for my part I have 2 accounts at Bhd Leon, if you give all they need as informations you will be able to open an account without cedula without problem !

If you don't like what one bank or branch of that bank wants just go to another branch and you will hear something different. Banco Santa Cruz seems to be the easiest bank to get an account now.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
For me if I remember well @bhdleon they asked me : 3 last month of bank statment (to prove your money) was easy, a reference lettrer from a bank, was easy too since I have others bank account in DR, Names of 2 person that konw you here it's easy too, then they verified the passport (interpol...) all was ready in less than 48 hours ! If you just need a pesos account it's faster

I am American not Canadian but it was a 6 month nightmare to open my account with Banco Popular. They asked for three specific papers. I provided those. Then they asked for more papers. I got those then they asked for another. It took six months because I would have to wait until I traveled home and get the additional documentation. The worst was that they wanted a letter of recommendation from my employer. I kept explaining that I was retired and had no employer. I finally went to my long time employer and talked to a friend in Human Resources that was able to write a letter. Finally I got my account.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Keep trying. Eventually you'll find someone who will cooperate, just like everything else around here.

dropshort

May 18, 2008
From a VP in Scotiabank Dominicana ...

A Canadian can open a bank account (in Scotiabank) however the Government of Canada require that it/they be non-interest account.

The VP who made that statement has left Scotiabank.
However, Sra Rosa Rodriquez, Manager of the SB at the corner of Winston Churchhil and 27 de Febrero, was in on the conversation.

DS

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My reference from Scotia Canada was of little use in opening the RD account.

Just knock on some doors and you'll get an account.....

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
2 weeks ago populaire said no...not possible for Canadians..new rules?????

You should be very grateful Banco Popular turned you down.
We got ripped off by the teller of Banco Popular in Las Terrenas and the Branch Manager refused to show the CCTV
video proof of the transaction to our lawyer in town.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Poplar

Popular bunch of a$$hole$... Wanted my Canadian tax return and whole list from newborn to priest name in Canada .... Go Santa Cruz bring coffee and 1.5hrs open us and peso account...