Thugs on motocycles; big problem, few answers

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
All they need to do is what other Latin countries have done. No 2 or more male adults on any Moto..............

Jan 7, 2016
Use a gun here and you'll be doing a rug-dance in front of the local Hefe and probably do some time on the side and pay mucho dinero to maintain your freedom!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
OR....all people on foot carry an aluminum baseball bat! Nail those suckers!

2601504_140209134529_9._Baton2.jpg

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
All they need to do is what other Latin countries have done. No 2 or more male adults on any Moto..............

In Colombia for years every motorcyclist has to have their tag number written on their jacket or vest as well as on their helmet in large letters. As in the tail numbers on an airplane.
Der Fish

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Use a gun here and you'll be doing a rug-dance in front of the local Hefe and probably do some time on the side and pay mucho dinero to maintain your freedom!

Been there, done that, killed one and did NO TIME. And paid the middle of a bagel.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
It won't work in the DR because everybody including men depend on motoconchos for cheap paid transportation,motoconchos don't exist in Medellin Colombia for example,a city that bans two men on a moto.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Been there, done that, killed one and did NO TIME. And paid the middle of a bagel.

I resent the inference that a bagel, the gift of my people to the world, should be included in this discussion! Make it a doughnut hole. Far more incendiary in world politics.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It won't work in the DR because everybody including men depend on motoconchos for cheap paid transportation,motoconchos don't exist in Medellin Colombia for example,a city that bans two men on a moto.

Motoconchos are all over Colombia and very cheap, but technically illegal if they have only 2 wheels, this is why the 3 wheeled (mototaxi) variety is so popular.
I believe (could be wrong) that a city needs to have a certain population before it can "officially" have a mototaxi service, although this is basically ignored in Colombia :)

So what's the solution?

Just like Tom0910 posted about Medellin. Limit the amount of males that can go on a motorcycle in large cities. As Derfish posted, those providing "legal" taxi services should have their plate numbers on their helmets and hi-viz vest. Combine the above with a "Pica y Placa" system to regulate the days, cars, taxis and motorbikes can use the roads. In some towns in Colombia, they ban motorbikes all together on certain days at peak times.

It works in Colombia in most cases, you just need to have the brains, motivation and will to actual implement a scheme, it's not rocket science.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Motoconchos are all over Colombia and very cheap, but technically illegal if they have only 2 wheels, this is why the 3 wheeled (mototaxi) variety is so popular.
I believe (could be wrong) that a city needs to have a certain population before it can "officially" have a mototaxi service, although this is basically ignored in Colombia :)

So what's the solution?

Just like Tom0910 posted about Medellin. Limit the amount of males that can go on a motorcycle in large cities. As Derfish posted, those providing "legal" taxi services should have their plate numbers on their helmets and hi-viz vest. Combine the above with a "Pica y Placa" system to regulate the days, cars, taxis and motorbikes can use the roads. In some towns in Colombia, they ban motorbikes all together on certain days at peak times.

It works in Colombia in most cases, you just need to have the brains, motivation and will to actual implement a scheme, it's not rocket science.
I lived in Colombia and never saw a moto taxi once.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I went to a mountain resort area where Colombians have second homes. Along the highway there is an area where hundreds of motos and many hundreds of young people hang out, play loud music and generally enjoy being middle class.

At the night clubs in Medellin the coat check was chock a block full of helmets and leather jackets.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I lived in Colombia and never saw a moto taxi once.

I live in Colombia 8-9 months per year and see plenty of them. Then again, I have clocked up 15,000+ miles touring all over Colombia on my bike. It's only in Medellin they appear to be prohibited, although you will find them in the poorer barrios.

I found a couple of articles about them.

http://www.eluniversal.com.co/colombia/los-mototaxistas-se-tomaron-10-capitales-de-colombia-178487
http://www.taringa.net/comunidades/colombiaringa/6675042/Mototaxi-a-la-orden.html

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Want to make a dent in the moto problem?

1) Stop and seize every moto without a valid license plate
2) Enforce helmet laws for driver and passenger everywhere.
3) Seize and destroy these franken-motos that are not road worthy and cannot reasonably be made so
4) Register motoconchos, vests, special sticker on plate
5) Fine the driver & passenger seen paying unregistered moto
6) Limit ridership to driver and one passenger at a time
7) Limit motoconcho for hire operation to daylight hours only
8) Ban motoconcho use for school purposes transportation and passengers under the age of 16.
9) Roadside safety inspections with a mechanic onsite. Lights, horn, brakes, tire issues to be repaired on the spot or moto seized.
10) Anyone convicted of using a moto in the commission of a crime, is issued a bright red license plate for every moto they register for the next 5 years for all to see. Enforce a no passenger rule on red plated motos.
11) Enforcement, enforcement, enforcement!

Where there is a genuine will, there is a way. Behaviors only change when there is a real cost for not following the rules. Lose a couple of motos for not wearing a helmet and you'll get the message. Have to pay a steep fine for driving a moto without a light that would only cost $100 pesos to fix. It goes without saying, no driver's license, moto is automatically forfeited on the spot and will not be returned.

Initially, storing all of these confiscated motos will be a problem. Allow only 48 hours for the payment of the fine, to produce registration, plate documentation etc or owner forfeits the moto and it is destroyed or auctioned off.

For safety violations that make the moto dangerous to operate, if repairs cannot be made and paid for then and there by the mechanic onsite, the moto is sent for destruction. Drivers have to learn to not let their equipment become unsafe in the first place and no one wants to be chasing these negligent operators down again to ensure needed repairs were actually completed.

For an extended period of time, the police that drive up and down the roadway, lights flashing, but doing essentially nothing of importance, need to be instructed to chase down every single moto infraction they see.

When the moto situation is somewhat improved, the govt can start working on the cars and trucks that clearly have no business being on the road.

Any of this going to happen, probably not, so the problems just continue...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
11) Enforcement, enforcement, enforcement!
That's the problem. In a poor country enforcement is generally unaffordable. All the laws you mentioned do nothing without the enforcement infrastructure to deal with them.