salmon picante recipe

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
This was consumed tonite...quick and oh-so tasty.

1. finely chop 4 cloves of good garlic. If you see any bruises or if you notice green sprouts in the middle...then its not fresh
2. finely chop 1 large,fresh,hot jalapeno pepper.
3. throw this into a non-stick pan with smelly olive oil.
4. add salt and pepper to taste (a pepper mill is a must)

THIS IS THE HARD PART, NOW.
To liven it up a little, i added a teaspoon of a hot-n-tasty sauce i bought over the net called "inner beauty" with about 1400 Skovel units (this measures the hotness of the sauce). Most wont have this sauce, so instead make your own:SAUCE INGREDIENTS: a little mustard, a little cumin, a little brown sugar, and a little honey, a little cayenen pepper. The sauce is not too crucial, so if dont have these ingredients, add as many as you can, or substitute.

5. add a teaspoon of the magic sauce
6. saute over low to medium heat for about 5 - 10 minutes. The key here is not to burn the garlic or the sauce.
7. pad dry your salmon steak. its important to remove as much of the moisture as possible.
8. season the steak with a little salt and pepper on both sides.
9. add steak to pan. twirl it around a little.
10. take out the steak and re-spread the remaining ingredients along the bottom of the pan.
11. place un-seasoned end of steak facing down. cover and cook for about 7 minutes. use medium heat.
12. flip it over, cover and cook another 7 minutes. cooking time may depend on taste.

make sure that there sauce on the bottom is just olive oil and salmon oil....all other jiuces should have evaporated into the salmon itself...or out the sides of the lid.

ENJOY!!! This was much better than the many $$$ the fancy restaurant charged last week!!

PS a side dish that goes really well with this is asparagus. take out the salmon and cook the asparagus in the leftover salmon oil!!

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
still tastes good

I had left over salmon tonite....i must say that this is one the best fish dinners i have ever had....remember not to cook it on high heat and keep the skillet covered...i poured some of the salmon oil/juice on top of my double-cooked platanos (not doubled fried)...wow...

On Cooking Rice: if you are also having rice, one thing i have found is that the 1 cup rice to 2 cups of water is not right. It tends to leave the rice too soggy. I use 1 to 1.5 ratio. Also, i dont stir the rice while its cooking. This tends to make the rice sticky. Once its done , i "fold" over the rice and let it stand a few minutes.

good luck...