obtaining dominican citizenship for my family

princessachula5

Aug 31, 2016
My husband, both of my children age ranging from 1 to 5yrs of age and myself live in the US. I was born in the US and recently became a dominican citizen thru my parents, they are both dominican.
If I wanted to also get dominican citizenship for my 2 kids and husband, could I do it?
I still have not applied for my dominican cedula or dominican passaport. I plan to do that in 2018. We have never lived in DR.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My husband, both of my children age ranging from 1 to 5yrs of age and myself live in the US. I was born in the US and recently became a dominican citizen thru my parents, they are both dominican.
If I wanted to also get dominican citizenship for my 2 kids and husband, could I do it?
I still have not applied for my dominican cedula or dominican passaport. I plan to do that in 2018. We have never lived in DR.

You could but you would have to move to the DR and there he should have his residencia provisional.
Read this please:

ZD38Nd.png

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your children would be a rather easy process, but your husband will have to jump through hoops. In order for him to apply for Naturalization, he has to first become a legal resident of DR. Then more applications and wait for citizenship.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Apparently you have never lived in the DR, and you don't mention the desire to ever live in the DR. You are in no rush to get your cedula and rightfully so because it is of zero use to you in the USA.

A part from staking claim to your roots, I can see no advantage to Dominican Citizenship for a family in your position. A DR passport is not a good travel document when compared to the passport you already have. Unless you are planning on living in the Dominican Republic at least part time, this will just be an exercise in frustration, it will be moderately expensive, time consuming and of little practical benefit.

If you wish to proceed, the best place for answers is the Dominican Embassy or Consulate closest to where you currently live. The rules and processes change from time to time. So the answers you get tomorrow may not be valid 1 year from now. As previously mentioned, citizenship for your husband is going to be more of a chore and expense than for your children. You will be travelling to the DR several times during this process.

Speak with the embassy and then decide if this is something that still interests you.

princessachula5

Aug 31, 2016
I want to get it for several reasons.. I want my kids to have roots there. In the future, we plan on buying a house and retiring there.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Having a Dominican passport can come in handy in many cases.

Some visas… such as the Chinese… are cheaper.

You need to be legal in the Dominican Republic to drive after 30 days.

If you are in a legal roe you do not have to make a separate insurance deposit…

You and your family may be traveling in an area abroad that is US-sensitive.

Your children may qualify for an international organisation job under the quota for Dominicans that is much much less competitive than for US citizens.

It is a way to take pride in your family's dual heritage. It is a good feeling.

Go for it! Start with your own and then the children.

princessachula5

Aug 31, 2016
Having a Dominican passport can come in handy in many cases.

Some visas… such as the Chinese… are cheaper.

You need to be legal in the Dominican Republic to drive after 30 days.

If you are in a legal roe you do not have to make a separate insurance deposit…

You and your family may be traveling in an area abroad that is US-sensitive.

Your children may qualify for an international organisation job under the quota for Dominicans that is much much less competitive than for US citizens.

It is a way to take pride in your family's dual heritage. It is a good feeling.

Go for it! Start with your own and then the children.

Thanks, I learned some more things! We visit DR frequently, we were just there this July! I have to admit my cousin picked up my Dominican birth certificate the other and I felt super proud!! Now I'm part of both amazing countries!! Lol

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I sympathize with you because I felt the same type of misguided sentimentality a few years ago. Both our kids have Dominican citizenship but I would not make any effort to get it. The benefits are few and it can distract focus on what should be your family's main endeavor ... success in the USA

princessachula5

Aug 31, 2016
I sympathize with you because I felt the same type of misguided sentimentality a few years ago. Both our kids have Dominican citizenship but I would not make any effort to get it. The benefits are few and it can distract focus on what should be your family's main endeavor ... success in the USA

I don't feel that way. Being I am the first generation to be born in USA and my children and husband are American. I want my kids to have a connection to DR. I feel after each generation slowly you begin to loose some tides back home. For example my parents were born there, when we were young we went every year. My parents still go every year to this day. We have a a lot of family out there and we stay we them. Now my siblings and I we visit often but not every year. Then as my kids get older they may visit frequently or not . I feel if I do this for them they can continue to feel like they are part of DR and not loose the conneconnection.. Not sure if I'm making sense. If my kids were born out there it's would not a be a big deal because that's where they come from. I could be doing this for nothing, there could be a chance they may not care to visit once they are older, but i least gave them this and they can decide what to do.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think we have answered your question by pointing out that what you wish to do can be done. We have indicated the best place to start is by contacting the Dominican Embassy in the United States.

Our supplementary points to you are an attempt to explain that this will not be an easy, quick or cheap process. From start to finish, getting all members of your family citizenship will will take more than year, maybe two, not weeks or months. By moving forward you will certainly impart to your family a good understanding of what life dealing with the Govt. here is like.

More power to you. Just be sure you appreciate what will be involved before you start. If you later choose to give up you will have just wasted time and money. As part of this process, you will need to travel to the DR several times for the express purpose of advancing your applications. In some cases, the time frame for paperwork submission in the DR will be time limited. Eg for your husband, you'll have 90 days from getting his residency visa issued in the USA to submit the necessary paperwork in Santo Domingo.

When you include the DR Govt fees, airline tickets, document procurement fees, translations, accommodations in the DR etc, this endeavor will cost thousands of dollars and up to two years of your time. Only you can decide if the benefits are worth the costs.

Good luck.

princessachula5

Aug 31, 2016
I think we have answered your question by pointing out that what you wish to do can be done. We have indicated the best place to start is by contacting the Dominican Embassy in the United States.

Our supplementary points to you are an attempt to explain that this will not be an easy, quick or cheap process. From start to finish, getting all members of your family citizenship will will take more than year, maybe two, not weeks or months. By moving forward you will certainly impart to your family a good understanding of what life dealing with the Govt. here is like.

More power to you. Just be sure you appreciate what will be involved before you start. If you later choose to give up you will have just wasted time and money. As part of this process, you will need to travel to the DR several times for the express purpose of advancing your applications. In some cases, the time frame for paperwork submission in the DR will be time limited. Eg for your husband, you'll have 90 days from getting his residency visa issued in the USA to submit the necessary paperwork in Santo Domingo.

When you include the DR Govt fees, airline tickets, document procurement fees, translations, accommodations in the DR etc, this endeavor will cost thousands of dollars and up to two years of your time. Only you can decide if the benefits are worth the costs.

Good luck.

To get my Dominican citizen because of my parents it didnt cost me that much.. I would say less than 200 and that's with getting my papers translated in DR, apostille and certified. We were having a family reunion so we were going to DR anyways so I started the process and my cousin helped me out, she has already picked up my Dominican birth certificate. I started the process in July and I got it at the end of August. The reason why I posted the question was since I'm not a Dominican born Dominican, could I still get Dominican citizen for my kids and husband. While I was there i was focused on starting the process I didn't even think to ask them, silly me.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Citizenship is significantly cheaper than residency (like US$350)and much easier to obtain. You do not have to be present to hand the papers (far fewer than for residency) in only for the interview (in Spanish) and the swearing in. Once completed you don't need to go through the expensive residency process every year for temporary and less often for permanent and it brings significant tax advantages with it. The only downside is that with dual citizenship you will get no assistance from your other country's embassy when you are in the country. If that is a downside.

Matilda