Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Things Dominicans {Abroad} Are Tired of Hearing

[video=youtube_share;q8_uTFUX0j4]https://youtu.be/q8_uTFUX0j4[/video]

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yeah, I know. I used to get a kick out of asking Cubans if they were Puerto Ricans and vice versa.
Der Fish

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
True story,

Went to Gela bend Arizona once and was asked what was my background, I said that my family is Dominican, the girl replied,
"Where in Mexico is that ?"

My two cents.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
What are you doing here? Why did u leave this beautiful country?..my hubby is sick and tired of this question

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I like when telling Hispanic men from other countries that my wife is Dominican. They usually respond wow Dominicana. She must be hot

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Things Dominicans {Abroad} Are Tired of Hearing

[video=youtube_share;q8_uTFUX0j4]https://youtu.be/q8_uTFUX0j4[/video]
LOL at the spicy thing...

I made tacos using a generic spice mix, Old El Paso or something, you know, kinda lame.

My guests, Alida's family all complained about the extreme hotness like their mouths were on fire...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
LOL at the spicy thing...

I made tacos using a generic spice mix, Old El Paso or something, you know, kinda lame.

My guests, Alida's family all complained about the extreme hotness like their mouths were on fire...

My mother-in-law even said "Pica!" with black pepper, so I laughed at that too. We were invited for dinner last Sunday at a neighbor's home. He was so proud to hand my husband a baggie of very hot red peppers he had grown and dried. He said "You like HOT, right?" Mr. AE, being Dominican, answered honestly, "Not really". LOL.

He has one brother, always well dressed and always wearing polished brown leather loafers. Always dress shirts and long pants In 40+ years, I've never seen him wear socks.

Always a bit of truth in these sort of things. :)

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Dr1 has contributed to my life immensely. Among the tidbits I've come across here is I am driving and I cant text. , th island that spice forgot.*

Completely accurate stereotype which could potentially border on racist. A place I find myself occupying.*

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Compete in what, stupidity? :) or the lack of hygiene?

Dominican's are pretty fastidious about keeping the ripe parts of their body smelling like flowers.
Perhaps you encountered a few exceptions?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Pepper is like kryptonite. WAY too "spicy" for the average Dominican.

Salt: well, you can NEVAH EVAH have too much of that.

P.S. and not meaning for this to be off-topic, but Ottimo in Sosua has cacio e pepe on the menu. If you know the dish, you know what I mean. Only Italian restaurant to offer, despite my repeated and desperate pleas.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pepper is like kryptonite. WAY too "spicy" for the average Dominican.

Salt: well, you can NEVAH EVAH have too much of that.

P.S. and not meaning for this to be off-topic, but Ottimo in Sosua has cacio e pepe on the menu. If you know the dish, you know what I mean. Only Italian restaurant to offer, despite my repeated and desperate pleas.

and yet Baldom and other outlets give us that horrible pepper sauce, which is like an amalgam of battery acid and rotten carrot juice. somebody is buying it, but i cannot speculate as to the reason why they would.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I my own self invest in a pepper grain called http://https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aframomum_melegueta.

i have recipes for the most spectacular hot sauces anywhere on the planet. Trinidadians are the best ever, and i got some recipes from them. outrageous flavors.*

that pepper grain is allspice. it is great for making soups. you drop in 4 or so while the liquid is cooking, then take them out when you are done.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't be shy with the recipes...

this is one i found on the internet a while back, and the result was great. you could use papaya instead of mango and pineapple. make sure it is not too ripe..

Ingredients
4 or more peppers (Habanero, scotch bonnet pepper)
? cup chopped onion
? cup fresh fruit (Mango or Pineapple)
2-3 garlic cloves
? teaspoon cumin spice
? cup vinegar (I used mixture of lime and vinegar)
? teaspoon mustard
1-2 Tablespoon brown sugar (optional)
Salt and white pepper to taste
Herbs (parsley, cilantro, basil, thyme) optional
Instructions
Method 1
Blend scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, fruit and onions in a food processor or blender. Add vinegar to facilitate blending. Then mix in cumin, mustard, white pepper, and brown sugar. Adjust for salt and seasoning. Refrigerate and use when ready.
Method 2
Add about a table of preferred cooking oil to a medium saucepan followed scotch bonnet pepper, garlic, and onions. Saut? for about 1-2 minutes. Let it cool, place in a blender or food processor together with other ingredients and blend to desired consistency.
You may return to sauce pan, add about more oil as needed bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes or more
Adjust for seasoning and salt. Refrigerate and use when ready.