Abel Martinez Admonishes People For Throwing Basura En La Calle

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Good for him but talk about an up hill battle!!
I remember shortly after moving here around 9 years ago my son and I joined a girl I was seeing and her family to a nice river near Bani. After a nice relaxing day as we were ready to leave the girls family are all going to their cars leaving a bunch of empty beer bottles amongst the rocks. My son and I started collecting them and guilted the chick and her family to collect them all and dispose in the trash. It mattered little to them that they will go back to this same spot repeatedly and that the next time one of them could cut their foot on the bottles from the last time.
Oh well, I wasn't with them on their next outing, my guess there is a lot of broken bottles at that spot.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Good for him.

I've shouted "puerco" at drivers who've thrown stuff out of car windows and said "se le cay? algo" to people who've dropped litter on the street.
I once asked a taxi driver if he loved his country; of course he said yes, so then I asked him why he'd thrown a styrofoam cup out of the window.
My son once made Mr C. stop the car and made his friend get out and pick up the bottle he'd chucked out of the window.
Once, by the river, I went over to the other group that was picnicking there, said hi and chatted for a few moments telling them how as a foreigner, how impressed I was by the beauty of the place and how important it was to look after it.
They agreed wholeheartedly, and I gave them a couple of plastic bags, "para recoger la basura", thus preempting any situation, and it did actually work.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I point it out as well but I can't seem to say it in a smooth calming voice.
Nowadays, with so many trigger happy folks, I have to breathe and count to ten.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Ete e' mi pa?, co?o, y hago lo que me da la gana" is an answer I have received more times than I can count..

Like Chiri, I have shouted, shamed and also cleaned up. I once got 500 bags from El Nacional for an Easter Week clean up at La Ensenada at Punta Rucia.
Plus T-shirts from Ochoa...some good DR1 folks carried out the battle...and won...

I keep telling people that the first thing foreigners see here is the garbage in the streets.

I hope Abel is able to do something. It could be a first....and maybe an example.

HB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
"Ete e' mi pa?, co?o, y hago lo que me da la gana" is an answer I have received more times than I can count..

Like Chiri, I have shouted, shamed and also cleaned up. I once got 500 bags from El Nacional for an Easter Week clean up at La Ensenada at Punta Rucia.
Plus T-shirts from Ochoa...some good DR1 folks carried out the battle...and won...

I keep telling people that the first thing foreigners see here is the garbage in the streets.

I hope Abel is able to do something. It could be a first....and maybe an example.

HB

Abel is trying to clean up the city. He has thrown people in jail for a weekend for littering. some people in barrio were already concerned about going to jail so they were seen putting garbage in the bins instead of leaving the bags on the street. He was looking through his security camera outside his house in santiago and watched his own body guard throw a cigarette butt on the street. he came out and made him pick it up and then to set an example he made him clean the whole street in front of his house. He wanted to send the message to his employees that the example starts from his own people.
He will clean up the city but he needs help from people and also he needs money. seems like the out-going mayor is accused of stealing city resources.
He was very diplomatically nice in the video but in real life, he is a strict dude. I think santiago is better off in his hands. Lets see how things turn out. Viva Abel martinez!!!!
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I once got 500 bags from El Nacional for an Easter Week clean up at La Ensenada at Punta Rucia.
Great memories of our La Ensenada/Punta Rucia field trip!