Home invasion Sosua

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I saw this post today on Facebook. The crime must be increasing due to the lack of employment in Sosua.

Home invasion!!
Sosua and Cabarete BAHIA DEL CORAL NEAR "EL CHOCO" OPPOSITE "OCEAN VILLAGE
Today at around 1600hrs (daylight) two armed men kidnapped my family and I and then robbed the villa where we are staying.
Two Dominican males 20-30 yrs of age
Both wearing baseball caps - one had "FOX" in yellow letters (black cap)
Also the one wearing the "FOX" cap was also wearing a "FOX" t-shirt again black with yellow writing he also had a goatee beard
The other male was slim build short hair wearing a Ralph Loren dark t-shirt with red polo emblem
They stole tv, money, jewellery, phones, laptop, tablets, hair dryers, hair straighteners and the list goes on... which suggests to sell items as they escaped on a moped with all in hand!!! Desperate and opportunist comes to mind.
If anybody was nearby and saw 2 men on a moped with bags and a 48' tv please leave any info on here.
Near
? at Restaurante Suizo "Parada El Choco".

Its in this Facebook Sosua group https://www.facebook.com/groups/553624054683754/?fref=nf

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
An inspector from the crack Sosua police will be right on it, as soon as he gets the TV hooked up to cable in his house.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I saw this post today on Facebook. The crime must be increasing due to the lack of employment in Sosua.

Home invasion!!

This not going to look good for promotion of Sosua as a Family Tourist destination, then again there may be other, more important, things to worry about...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I wouldn't overlook the declining value of the peso in all this.

Historically, Nov/Dec is prime time......

Might be just a 'blip'..... new thieves trying out their skills.

We had some of that in Cabrera area.....

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Kidnapped?

Robbery is one thing, but kidnapping is completely another.

Has something been lost in translation?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Kidnapped?

Robbery is one thing, but kidnapping is completely another.

Has something been lost in translation?

Were they picked up and taken to their home? What type of weapons? I hope someone tries this with me because I carry my own 9mm response

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Getting robbed will cost you. Shooting someone will cost you.

As a response to an attack with a weapon that would likely result in injury or death, fine. Otherwise stuff can be replaced. Shooting someone to prevent someone walking off with a TV will likely backfire. In either case your firearm will be seized, you will probably be detained and as with most situations here you will be considered guilty until proven innocent. Mucho pesos, mucho tiempo y mucho molestia, usually, unless you have overwhelming supportive evidence and numerous living witnesses.

Then again there is always an exception that disproves the rule.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Getting robbed will cost you. Shooting someone will cost you.

As a response to an attack with a weapon that would likely result in injury or death, fine. Otherwise stuff can be replaced. Shooting someone to prevent someone walking off with a TV will likely backfire. In either case your firearm will be seized, you will probably be detained and as with most situations here you will be considered guilty until proven innocent. Mucho pesos, mucho tiempo y mucho molestia, usually, unless you have overwhelming supportive evidence and numerous living witnesses.

Then again there is always an exception that disproves the rule.

With that being said, "dont for get we love our growing tourist stats and the money it brings. Dont worry yourself about the small things like we dont have much of a legal system, but we will screww the gringo if we get a chance. Oh, dont worry that we probably have the worst healtcare and education in all Latin America. That stuff is all immaterial fluff. We have beaches, cheap women and beer".
P.S. Of course we are not worried about Cuba taking future tourism-we dont even think beyond today- gotta run siesta time!
-Best Regards DR Politicos

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
If you read further into the comments on that same facebook thread on home invasion

Another has a similar story ....

NC:
Could you tell if one of them had a Mohawk by any chance? I was robbed at knife point with my girlfriend on Saturday by two men in their early 20s...

JC:
What?Where at?

NC:
on the beach half way down the road to La boca. They were Kiters, one still had his kite harness on...
it was ....
about 5 kilometers past the center. I know many of the kiters in the area, they aren't the type of people to do that which is why it was so surprising to me as well...

si225

Dec 26, 2012
On my street, in el Batey, all within 50 meters of the police station, EVERY (4 or 5) inhabited house has been robbed at night during the last 6 months (except for ours).

Police caught (drum roll please) - nada.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
It's finally time for all gringos to pack up and get the hell outa Dodge. The natives are seriously ****ed. They'll be flooding down outa the mountains.

God help us all !!!!