Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: asqueroso

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default asqueroso

"asqueroso" is one of my favourite spanish words, i use it every day. honestly, nothing better to describe dominican baking and DR in general. in my mind, it's a completely innocent word and simply means "disgusting". yeah, it may offend but it's not an insult as such. but i am frequently told by miesposo that this is a bad word. is it?

North Coast Moderator

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never heard it’s a bad word and my in-laws are very bad word sensitive...unless you call someone ‘un asqueroso’ , for being an insult. 

3. Likes Derfish liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ASQUEROSO O DELICIOSO.... in the eyes of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    "asqueroso" is one of my favourite spanish words, i use it every day. honestly, nothing better to describe dominican baking and DR in general. in my mind, it's a completely innocent word and simply means "disgusting". yeah, it may offend but it's not an insult as such. but i am frequently told by miesposo that this is a bad word. is it?

If you tell your in-laws that the meal was asqueroso, it may be conceived as an insult.
    Used for girls that are pestering one, it's usually effective in removing the undesired presence.
    I guess in general disgusting does not seem to be a compliment or "good" word.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

ba meal que bobo !!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife never uses any of the typical profane Dominican/Spanish words - however, she will describe any disgusting thing, habit, or, food as "asqueroso".

Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe what your esposo is trying to say is the connotation is strong and depending on the context of its usage by the speaker it can even be condescending. It is the various degrees that the meaning conveys is the issue. Disgusting is a strong word in English too and especially how it’s used. Look at synonyms in English and determine which one is stronger.  Asqueroso in Spanish also means repugnancia and that is strong compared to simply saying something is malo or desagradable.

This is an example where the more vocabulary you have in Spanish or English the better for you (anyone) because it allows you to make the comparison and then the distinction.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

the thing is that even my MIL expressed that "coño" is not as bad as "asqueroso" which really surprised me.

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

the thing is that even my MIL expressed that "coño" is not as bad as "asqueroso" which really surprised me.
    I think you should listen to what they are telling you.

Coño is an interjection and in some countries an expletive. People use it, hear it and move on.

Nuance as it relates to the meaning of words is a key factor.

You say to someone me das asco ...that's an insult.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Post Thanks / Like

hmm. i think imma gonna stick to asqueroso. my family doesn't have to like it. but it was interesting to read opinions of other dr1ers.

North Coast Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

hmm. i think imma gonna stick to asqueroso. my family doesn't have to like it. but it was interesting to read opinions of other dr1ers.

Sure...a cada cual lo suyo. However, at least you were informed and not first by DR1 posters but by your significant other and his family. That is so key. Correct language usage is important and really important in a foreign language...pero no soy quien para decirte lo que debes hacer.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast