Some love it Some hate it - THE DR LIFE

IslandMan

Feb 18, 2002
I find myslef reading many threads here about life in the DR and I for one beleive from an Expat point of view there are only two types of people.

Expat ONE - he mingles into the culture , respects the people , accepts the little things that can some times anoy you , but overall has a party of life time , goes out all the time and makes the most of his/her time abbroad.

Expat TWO - they hate polution, foriegn customs , unfarmiliararity , things that aren't like home, they spend their time wingeing to other expats trying to drag them down and take away their happiness in the place , only because they cant understand why the other people are actually happy.

NOW here's my question - I for one are an "EXPAT ONE" type and I've lived in the pacific islands for a number of years in quite third world conditions, But despite the surroundings I had a blast , went out everynight , enjoyed the people , took up every invite I could get to go try somthing new and exciting.

The power went out just like the DR and somtimes the toilet didn't flush and I'd have to fill it with buckets of water to get it going again.

People were shot outside my house and numerous people tried to kill me on the road with bad driving - BUT call me indiana jones but all this seemed to be excitement for me......or mabey I'm just a bit crazy.

The point I'm getting at is - I'm thinking very serious about takeing a job and coming to live in the DR for a long time , and what I would appreciate is some feed back from "EXPAT ONE" types that enjoy the DR to the fullest and who can give me the right insight to the "fun and exciting life" that the DR has to offer. Even if some of you could give me a quick comparison to the Pacific Islands and life in general over there.

I know this topic has been spoken for many times but it always ends up negative and I would really like some positive feed back from the right people.

Looking foward to your stories and advice - many thanks.....

ISLANDMAN..........

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hey man, you will fit in here like a glove.
life is wonderful here, a new adventure on daily bases.
So what if the lights go away, water would get shut off, traffice laws are broken...life goes on.
Remember, there is solution to every obsticles in life (in DR).
Get a power inverter for blackouts, make sure the house has a water tank in case if the water gets shut off and learn to drive like a dominican.
work hard during the week and enjoy the life in the weekends.
Do what the dominicans do best, leave your worries behind and learn to live a life for a change.
Welcome to DR.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Do it. You won't regret it.

Life is good here. The bumps in the road keep you awake.

HB

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I agree! This country is wonderful...such an adventure! My mother always begs me to come home...but I am home here. I hope to never return to live in USA. This is my home..all the frustrations and all the adventure! I love it all!

IslandMan

Feb 18, 2002
Great to see some happy people down there !! my family say that my biggest fault is that I don't know when to quit , and I try to apply that to "partying " as well........

So "if" and "when" I get down there I hope to paint the town red and have some evil nights out with people from all walks of life....

What's Puerto Plata like to live in compared to Santo Domingo - IE night life , multiculturalism , water sports and eating out.....I love the beach but I sure have a weakness for big nights out on the town as well...... Which place is better?

looking foward to hearing your input...

Tequila on me - ISLANDMAN!!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Sorry to inform you on this but I think puerto plata is dead lately.
By the way, I was told by my english friend that "El bohen" is open and in full swing. Its a place where you can find some ladies of the night at your disposal.
The best place to live and party is santiago (2nd to santo domingo).

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Expat THREE

Expat THREE - he/she (ah, the PC in me comes out :)) mingles into the culture, respects the people, accepts the little things that can some times anoy you , but overall has a party of life time, goes out all the time and makes the most of his/her time abroad.

At the same time, he/she realizes that the "small" cultural differences at the workplace, at home, at businesses they frequent,... add up to a point where they consume all his/her energy and rather than being able to strive to learn new things, they are constantly trying to make the "easy" and "normal" things continue to work.

They embrace foriegn customs, unfarmiliararity, things that aren't like home. They don't spend their time whining to other expats trying to drag them down and take away their happiness in the place, and they can plainly see why the other people are genuinely happy.

hehe. I didn't fit into either of your categories so I had to make my own up ;) Life here is grand, however being a relatively young professional in a "high-tech" field, I have found that for my raw desire to continue to learn and make advancements where I live and work, the DR is just not the place for me.

Have a blast, I hope you make it down here! You have found the right place to get the best advice.

Take care,
marc

thor

Feb 25, 2002
In the beginning you get sick of it after a while, go home for two days and you want to go back (to DR). The trick of the trade is expect the unexpected. Cars on the wrong side of the road (rules don't apply to real life conditions), motorbikes with driver, mother, grandmother and a baby crossing the autopista, someone connected to your phone line, or el. meter etc. etc. Five phone calls before the problem is fixed (one is never enough).

Last edited:

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
trick of the trade

thor said:
In the beginning you get sick of it after a while, go home for two days and you want to go back (to DR). The trick of the trade is expect the unexpected. Cars on the wrong side of the road (rules don't apply to real life conditions), motorbikes with driver, mother, grandmother and a baby crossing the autopista, someone connected to your phone line, or el. meter etc. etc. Five phone calls before the problem is fixed (one is never enough).

We definitely should have headed back to Canada more often during our stay here...but at the same time, I can stay in Canada/US and just return here a couple times a year...make a salary that can sustain a retirement before the age of 95, and maintain my sanity.

lol
marc