Trustworthy real estate agents in LT?

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Hi there,

I know, I know, my question is an oxymoron! But nonetheless I need your help and advice.

I have been doing the rounds of agents and viewing lots of properties/plots of land as am looking to buy here in Las Terrenas.
But I'm really struggling to work out which agents are legitimate and trustworthy enough to work with, and which are not and therefore I should stay well clear of.
They are all giving me completely contradictory information which is making really hard for me to know what to believe and ultimately where to invest my money.

So I would be REALLY grateful if those of you who have had direct experience with any agents in LT coudl tell me what it was like, both good and bad.

Many thanks,

Rob

PS - I'm sure there will be plenty of you wanting to give your general views about buying/selling/renting/agents/etc. in DR as a whole, but with all due respect to you, please keep those comments to yourselves as I only need advice and references from those with DIRECT experience of agents in LT.

bloody67

Jan 16, 2011
Good Luck Brother, 75% of LT transactions are scams ....Good Luck
I know 1agent I have purchased through here in SD 2 times and in 7 yesrs no problems...if u wantyou contact her and she could tell uif shecan help in LT, maybe she has something their

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I rented four properties from AIC Dominicana over a two and a half year period with one continuous period of rental for 20 months.

http://www.aic-dominican-real-estate.com/

I found Jacques and his crew most helpful, honest and upfront. No issues whatsoever and first rate rental back up. They also helped me out on some other matters......lawyer recommendations and use of mailbox service

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Good Luck Brother, 75% of LT transactions are scams ....Good Luck
I know 1agent I have purchased through here in SD 2 times and in 7 yesrs no problems...if u wantyou contact her and she could tell uif shecan help in LT, maybe she has something their

Yes please. Introductions to reputable agents always very gratefully received. Thanks.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
I rented four properties from AIC Dominicana over a two and a half year period with one continuous period of rental for 20 months.

http://www.aic-dominican-real-estate.com/

I found Jacques and his crew most helpful, honest and upfront. No issues whatsoever and first rate rental back up. They also helped me out on some other matters......lawyer recommendations and use of mailbox service

Thanks for that. I've been speaking with Laurent at AIC and so far he has been pretty helpful.

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
Doug and Helen at beachtownproperty.com would get my vote.

Although I never bought anything because I was unsure about making such a transaction in the DR, they were VERY nice and knowledgeable people. They drove me around for hours, bought me lunch and tried to sell the area to me. And I was just looking for a cheap condo...

They are British and seem to have great intentions. Give them a try.

The Creature

Mar 13, 2013
Oh, and more important points. They were also property managers so if you needed someone to look over an investment property, they can do it.

Doug was also very handy which can be useful if you needed work done in the house.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Doug and Helen at beachtownproperty.com would get my vote.

Although I never bought anything because I was unsure about making such a transaction in the DR, they were VERY nice and knowledgeable people. They drove me around for hours, bought me lunch and tried to sell the area to me. And I was just looking for a cheap condo...

They are British and seem to have great intentions. Give them a try.

Oh, and more important points. They were also property managers so if you needed someone to look over an investment property, they can do it.

Doug was also very handy which can be useful if you needed work done in the house.

Thanks for this.

I've already spoken with them and as you say they are very nice and helpful, but unfortunately they don't seem to have any properties on their books that match what I am looking for.
They seem to mostly have apartments and condos and smaller villas, whereas I am looking for something a little larger and more substantial.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for this.

I've already spoken with them and as you say they are very nice and helpful, but unfortunately they don't seem to have any properties on their books that match what I am looking for.
They seem to mostly have apartments and condos and smaller villas, whereas I am looking for something a little larger and more substantial.

I would go on line and you can access all the the real estate agents in LT with their listings. See what is out there and then go talk to the ones that interest you. The best way is face to face and not taking someone elses word for it.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
More important than the agent is your choice of a lawyer who should review everything before you decide whether to buy. Any deposit should be held by your lawyer and any contract reviewed by him / her prior to signing.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
I would go on line and you can access all the the real estate agents in LT with their listings. See what is out there and then go talk to the ones that interest you. The best way is face to face and not taking someone elses word for it.

That is exactly what I have been doing, but that is also where the problems have arisen, in that each agent is telling me different stories.

For example, different agents have told me different rules and regs about where and how much you can build, or given me contradictory information about various properties (e.g. different owner information, etc.).
One has also introduced me to someone who was supposedly the Director of CODIA, but on further investigation, that person turned out to be nothing more than a contractor pretending to be the Director.

Hence my request for recommendations from people that have ACTUALLY bought/sold/built/developed/refurbished/etc. properties in LT as to who are the agents, contractors, architects, lawyers, etc. that I can trust and feel safe about with.

Thanks,

Rob

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
More important than the agent is your choice of a lawyer who should review everything before you decide whether to buy. Any deposit should be held by your lawyer and any contract reviewed by him / her prior to signing.

Agreed. So far, the only law firm that is being recommended by pretty much everyone is Guzman Ariza. I have already spoken with Cesar Calderon there and I feel fairly comfortable that I am in safe hands there.

Does anyone have any other recommendations and/or warnings (about who to avoid)?

Many thanks

Rob

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I would go back to beachproperty, Helen and show her the properties you are interested in and she should be able to show them and get info for you. There is no such thing as exclusive properties in the DR. The only real exception is an agent representing a new building complex. You can also ask any realtor if there is a valid title and you want a copy so your attorney can look at it. Do not trust any builder, expecially is they insist on a lot of money upfront. Again, Helen's husband Doug is a property manager and has a lot of experience with builders. Talk to him. I would not trust the advice of most realtors in Las Terrenas. Helen and Doug are good people. Go back and sit down with them again or find a property that has an existing building on it. There are a lot of properties for sale. I find hard to believe you can't find something out there. Building is a risky propostion, especially as a "Gringo" in the DR. Locals will try to take advantage of you. You can count on that. I know you are doing your homework. Take your time and CYA.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
I would go back to beachproperty, Helen and show her the properties you are interested in and she should be able to show them and get info for you. There is no such thing as exclusive properties in the DR. The only real exception is an agent representing a new building complex. You can also ask any realtor if there is a valid title and you want a copy so your attorney can look at it. Do not trust any builder, expecially is they insist on a lot of money upfront. Again, Helen's husband Doug is a property manager and has a lot of experience with builders. Talk to him. I would not trust the advice of most realtors in Las Terrenas. Helen and Doug are good people. Go back and sit down with them again or find a property that has an existing building on it. There are a lot of properties for sale. I find hard to believe you can't find something out there.

Thanks for the advice. I will go back and have further chats with them.

You're right in that there are a lot of properties available and it is a bit of a buyers' market at the moment. What I meant was that Helen and Doug don't have much on their books that meet my criteria, but as you say, if I show them the ones I like, then perhaps they can help facilitate the purchase.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thanks for the advice. I will go back and have further chats with them.

You're right in that there are a lot of properties available and it is a bit of a buyers' market at the moment. What I meant was that Helen and Doug don't have much on their books that meet my criteria, but as you say, if I show them the ones I like, then perhaps they can help facilitate the purchase.

Rob, exactly. I am sure they won't turn away business and they have a lot of experience in the community. Good luck.

Pyth0ss

Aug 17, 2016
Very close friend of mine who is very trustworthy and knows LT like the back of his hand, has been doing quite well in real estate in LT since 2008. Give him a shout.
Vincent Dougoud - Look him up on LinkedIn. He owns Tropical Expert.

RobFenton

Dec 14, 2015
Very close friend of mine who is very trustworthy and knows LT like the back of his hand, has been doing quite well in real estate in LT since 2008. Give him a shout.
Vincent Dougoud - Look him up on LinkedIn. He owns Tropical Expert.

Thanks very much for this. I have just sent him a message on LinkedIn. :)

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I live in the capitol but it is my hope, one day, to buy a small place in LT. Please let us know how things worked for you when you have been successful.