Perfect example of the corruption caused by the war on drugs

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In today's DR1 news we see a manifest example of corruption at the highest level of two governments and industry over the ridiculous purchase by the DR government of the Super Tucano aircraft. It would be a joke if this were not so sad:

The high cost of the Tucanos
A report in Diario Libre on Wednesday 7 September 2016 estimates that the cost of purchasing eight Tucano aircraft purchased by the Leonel Fernandez administration in 2009 was equivalent to 60% of the budget the government had assigned to the National Drug Control Agency over the previous nine years. While the government had assigned RD$5.4 billion to the agency, the airplanes cost US$93.6 million, which at the time was equivalent to RD$3.2 billion (at an exchange rate of RD$34.5 to US$1).

At the time, former attorney general Francisco Dominguez Brito (now the Minister of Environment) had said that a single flight hour was going to cost more than the fuel spent on combating drug trafficking in the Cibao region in the entire month of January.

In the Diario Libre interview, former Police colonel Juan Tom?s Taveras says the purchase of the Tucanos was an error. He said the aircraft would only be effective if their purchase was matched with a good radar system that allows the authorities to identify illicit trafficking operations in good time. ?What?s the point of these planes if the radars are not working? All that money was invested in attacking unauthorized flights when there was no way of detecting them,? he stated.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/...dncd-JI4875803

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe they can come up with a huge amount of money, complete with additional bribes and kickbacks, to get working radar systems?

This a a great DR success story, PICHARDO, is it not?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
$12 + million per Tucano ? Wow.I would have liked to be the broker for that deal......

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Maybe they can come up with a huge amount of money, complete with additional bribes and kickbacks, to get working radar systems?

This a a great DR success story, PICHARDO, is it not?

"You must understand its all part of the BIG picture of the DR which all of you over the past 30 years have been complaining about" The economy and the middle class are growing exponentially and ahead of all Latin American countries (Who gives a f##* if the 41 % of the young are unemployed and/or not in school) I have stats (pulled out of my ass) that will contradict that.
The drugs dealers the tourist dollars, as i have been telling you for 30 years now, they represent a very small percent of the economy- you tourist can all leave, it wont make a difference. You are confused and do not realize the Dominican people work harder and smarter that any other Nationality which is why we will continue to become a developed Country in no time!!! (Remember I have been telling you this for 30 years) we are almost there.
We dont need US Dollars, we invented our own electronic currency(which by the way Bitcoin copied us) which should be implemented any day now. Why do you all feel we need to enforce laws to reduce theft or murder, or the many driving infractions. (We have this, its just a different set for gringos- they have no rights) Remember above, we dont need you we export sugar and bananas. You guys pay to go to the movies to watch violence and murder, hell we supply it to you for free! And why all the whining about garbage on the streets and poor electricity.
I have been telling you for 30 years and my people for another 50 before that. The electricity is fine, you just need to buy generators, gas, batteries, inverters, solar panels and you will be able to live like an American. Stop being so cheap!

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Expat13. Some people don't understand "facetious". You forgot about the "Smart Guns" in your list, that always makes me chuckle along with the DR going cashless.