Senator's salary ?not enough for a bottle of water

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...ators-salary-not-enough-for-a-bottle-of-water

0C1EA758-5F51-4C46-A29C-B5C2E4D56BEF.jpeg

COMMENT
Written by: Ricardolito, 2 Sep 2016 8:19 AM
This woman is a politician who is behaving like a common thief
and is a very good example why all politicians in this country are despised .
It is the selection of such dreadful candidates that is the real concern

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Someone should start a GoFundMe campaign to buy her a little bottle of water, or maybe give an address where her supporters can send bottles of water!
Der Fish

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Someone should start a GoFundMe campaign to buy her a little bottle of water, or maybe give an address where her supporters can send bottles of water!
Der Fish

They beat you to it! From Monday's DR1 News:
Senator “can’t afford water” on her wages
Senator for Dajabon Sonia Mateo became the talk of the town after Thursday (1 September 2016) morning’s El Sol de la Manana radio show when she claimed that Senators’ wages were not enough for a bottle of water. Senators’ wages were increased from RD$250,000 a month to RD$320,000 a month at the end of August.
A mock-campaign to donate water to the legislator was promptly launched. Social media filled up with memes reflecting the wit and outrage of thousands of Dominicans who felt insulted by the legislator.
As reported in Diario Libre, the senator’s two-week wage was RD$125,000, plus she has a staff costing RD$503,420 a month. On the radio talk show, Mateo also said that opponents of the wage increase “were heartless.”
A report in El Dia estimates that senators receive RD$425,900 per month in cash. Other benefits are high-cost international medical insurance, discretionary social funds of up to one million pesos a month, one unlimited vehicle tax exemption every two years, luxury restaurant services, and additional pay for serving on commissions.
The El Dia report on Monday, 5 September estimates that each of the 32 senators costs taxpayers upwards of RD$2 million a month.
Meanwhile, deputy Pedro Botello has put in a request for a similar increase for the Chamber of Deputies. He is asking Chamber of Deputies president, Lucia Medina, who is President Danilo Medina’s sister to apply Law 105-13 as has occurred in the Senate. Lucia Medina recently stated that any wage increase would be in violation of the Constitution, which says that legislators cannot legislate for their own direct benefit.
http://beta.eldia.com.do/un-senador-...dos-los-meses/
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias/...nden-NG4833942
https://notitemasrd.wordpress.com/20...sobre-salario/

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
$320,000 RD equals $7,111 dollars per month. This is 10 or 20 times the amount of most Dominicans earn, who are considered middle class. $7,111 in the US, is the higher end of a middle class income range. What is the complaint about? As one senator stated last year, put more chlorine into the water the public water system. Then you would not need to buy additional water.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
$320,000 RD equals $7,111 dollars per month. This is 10 or 20 times the amount of most Dominicans earn, who are considered middle class. $7,111 in the US, is the higher end of a middle class income range. What is the complaint about? As one senator stated last year, put more chlorine into the water the public water system. Then you would not need to buy additional water.

Sorry you are dreaming. 84K a year is on the higher end of middle class in Santo Domingo but not an outrageous salary, do you think the apartments and cars you see are paid on 20-30 k pesos a month salaries. People that make 1/10 or 1/20 of that are not middle class they are pooooor with a capital P. If you are middle class in most desirable parts of the states you are watching pennies if you have 84 k as a family income.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Your point is valid. I accepted the $84,000 dollars was for one person and not for a family. I also priced apartments last week in nice new condos with security, a pool and parking to be $14,000 to $19,000 per year. I was off on the 1/10 and 1/20 for living in SDQ.

I understand in a publicly elected office it takes money to get there and stay there. But asking for a raise when the country debt to revenue ratio is increasing with ever year. It is a little shameful. Just as it is in many states in the USA.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
What percentage of Santo Domingo residents earn a salary of $85K/year? I always thought the people with money were business owners.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in SD 7k dollars a month for a family is not that much. and yeah, yeah, i know that plenty of people live on very little. but bear in mind, that carol morgan school costs about 18k dollars per school year, per child (according to a recent article in el caribe). for a family with 3 kids it could cost 85k dollars a year to pay for the spawn alone: nanny, school, uniforms, books, extra activities...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
My heart goes out to her. What a struggle it is for her to serve her fellow Dominicans. (she could probably make 6000 RD per month in a Banca in the D.R. private sector). The sacrifice of it all. Kinda reminds me of how the Clintons were dead broke when they left the White House and had to struggle to get money for 2 mortgages.
Public officials should not be so abused.

Sep 4, 2012
in SD 7k dollars a month for a family is not that much....

Then, there will be more than a few expats crossing "niagara in bycileta" as we speak, most don't come close to this amount that I know of, for sure those depending on SS as income.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey, wish i was making 7k a month too. but i say it as it is. plenty of people in SD who make way more than this. middle high class exists.

Sep 4, 2012
but bear in mind, that carol morgan school costs about 18k dollars per school year, per child (according to a recent article in el caribe). for a family with 3 kids it could cost 85k dollars a year to pay for the spawn alone: nanny, school, uniforms, books, extra activities...

Very closed circle of individuals can actually afford this school in Santo Domingo, among the few, diplomatic, very successful business owners and some politicians. In the USA not that many could actually afford to pay 84K for private school.

Sep 4, 2012
hey, wish i was making 7k a month too. but i say it as it is. plenty of people in SD who make way more than this. middle high class exists.

No doubt, they do, see my next reply. I do however hold the believe that 7K monthly is very good money in DR, hell, is good money in the USA.