car rental

omaha Bob

Jan 7, 2002
We will be going to POP March the 1st. Can anyone tell us about rental of a car. Cost, safety, and location of the rental cars. Has any one rented a car and what experence can you let us know about. We are going to play golf at playa grande and belive it will be less money to rent a car rather that use a taxi. Thanks in advance.

Bob

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
We definitely recommend renting a car if you will be in Puerto Plata. There is so much to see and do on the north coast. You would be very limited by going by taxi. Check out our sponsor, National Car Rental at http://www.dr1.com/national
They are one of the most reputable, if not the most, in the DR and after having recommended several clients their way, even family, we know they offer good service all the way.
For where to go... check out the left side bar at the opening page of our travel section at http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml
Check out the destinations marked as Puerto Plata, Sosua, Cabarete and Playa Grande. Lots of suggestions of what to do and see.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Hi Bob. Just posted you a <b>great</b> reply (hehe) then got booted from the board...not sure if it is my connection or wtf. Here is a short version for try #2...

Renting isn't for everyone, there are things you need to know about. Search the 2001/2002 archives for 'car rental' and see what you come up with. Tons of good advice there. Once you drive here you may not want to rent...

Private taxi for the whole day would likely run you about $80US, so if you are in a group you might want to think about that option. Includes vehicle with a/c, driver and gas. The driver will take you where you want, stop where you want, negotiate for prices on your behalf, and take you to any cool "out of the way" places that he may know about if you want.

I personally rent jeeps for any weekend trips we go on (saves the wear/tear on my car!), but again, it isn't for everyone.

Take care and good luck.

marc

jasoncann

Feb 19, 2002
Re: Renting a Car

Bob,
My wife and and I flew to DR for our honeymoon to stay in Puerto Plata but flew into Santo Domingo to save on airfare cost. Well long story short we rented a car and drove what we thought was the longest trip in our lives to the North Coast. It was an adventure. If your used to calm roads nice drivers and always knowing what is going to happen then don't rent a car. Driving there is like nothing you have ever experienced. The locals are wonderful and give directions as best they could. (However our spanish wasn't that good yet) But the roads at times are non-exisent and when they are not always the best. Esentially I would compare it to driving in Los Angels when you came from kansas.

When we got to our destination we actually parked our car and never drove again. Because we found the use of Gua-Gua's and motochonco's really easy. Also we rented a cab for half-a-day he took us everywhere we wanted and it only cost us $20US. If you would like some advice about the Gua-Gua's please email me.

One other quick story. There was a person that we met up with that got pulled over by a DR police officer because he ran a blue light yes a blue light. The guy had to bribe the officer with a beer to let him go.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Blue light

lol. I love the blue light story. He's lucky, usually you have at least one of them burnt out. A bit worse when it's the red, but now very confusing with everyone paranoid about AMET and refusing to go on the 'invisible' green light.

Good to hear you survived your experience here...

marc

RandyE

Feb 4, 2002
Day trip in a van to Playa Grande was $80US. Had driver pick us up at the resort at 6:30 and hit every town and roadside stand on the way back. Returned after 9pm. Great day, no hassles- do it every year. Cost is the same for a trip up to Santiago. If you plan on drinking, a very good alternative.