Playa Naco Golf&Tennis

jenny

Jan 26, 2002
I will be staying at Playa Naco Golf & Tennis Resort in Puerto Plata for one week at the end of March. Would appreciate any suggestions for activities in the area, in particular day trips.

muskrati

Jan 4, 2002
Hola ,i stayed next door at the Dorado Club . I took a day trip that left at 8:30 a.m. and got back at 6:30 P.M. Its about an hour bus ride to Luperon ..where you catch te Catarmaran to a small place called "Cambiasa " Its about two hors on the cat .At the beach you will greeted by many kids . You have a meal then go see how some Dominicans live . You get to snorkel at a beatifull beach .I liked it ..and would reconmend it . I booked it on the beach and it cost 55 $ U.S.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Here's a day for you....

Rent private taxi for the day $1200RD (max), assuming a split 4 ways = $300RD per person

Breakfast at Sofy?s B&B, Puerto Plata. Get an early start, you have a long day, get there by 9am. http://www.popreport.com/SofyBB.htm ($80RD)

From here, head to Playa Caleton (just this side of Playa Grande) for beach and FRESH (really, they catch it that morning) fish if you like. About 1.5 hours from PP, but worth the trip.
Watch the condiments, they made me deathly ill last time I was there! ACK! Great little quiet beach, beautiful water, bring your camera!

After a couple hours at Caleton, back to Cabarete for lunch at Tribal Caf? or one of the many beach restaurants ($150RD) if you haven't already eaten at Caleton.
Go boogie boarding, or just hang out for a bit and watch the windsurfers/kiteboarders.
Check out the Green Room at the CariBIC center for wraps/smoothies if you wish.
For the cheapest deals in town with PRICE TAGS go to Liquidation World, a large white two story building on the non-ocean side of the street, pretty much mid-Cabarete. Head upstairs.

Next, off to Sosua beach for beach vendors to practice your bartering skills and see if you can beat liquidation world ;) Great beach here also.

6:30pm dinner at the waterfront with a spectacular sunset view from a great restaurant, $300RD will cover a good meal with a drink, tax and tip all included. Don?t be late, the sunset is something to see. Seating is inside our out.

If you need to kill some time in Sosua before dinner, head to Brittania pub to visit Barb and Linden, Rocky?s bar for a brew with Marc and the crew there, or Eddy?s Sports bar for a brew with Eddy and some big screen tv?s.

Back home to the all inclusive with some great stories to tell, and just in time for the nightly shows the hotel puts on!

Total day cost would be about $800RD if you take my estimates above (about $50US) plus booze and souvenirs. Obviously you can spend a lot more depending on your choice of food, how much you drink, if you want to rent beach chairs, etc...

Have fun in PP.

marc

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Organized tours

For organized tours you can buy from your hotel:

I recommend the "jeep safari" to the waterfalls at IMBERT. Be careful about this one, there are many jeep safari's, but only some go to Imbert. Others just head to some lame river for a swim...

The Catamaran trip is apparently good, I have never been on it but some friends of ours go about once every couple of months. Takes you snorkelling to Sosua, may get to see some dolphins on the trip out...leaves from Playa Dorada.

Sosua day trip - sounds like a lot of money to me, but if you feel better about it, definitely get out to Sosua.

Santo Domingo day trip - a whole lot of bus riding for a single day! I would never do this tour. Not because Santo Domingo is not worth seeing, it is. The fact that I would be on a bus for 6-8 hours in one day PLUS walking around the colonial area for a few hours....not for me.

There are a ton more of these trips to pick from. Some good, some not so good. Happy hunting!

Again, good luck and take care.
marc

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
i enthusiastically endorse Marc's "Take a Taxi" ideas. It is doable and youwill have a wonderful time. the big PLUS is that youget out and about. See some of the countryside.

Besides, breakfasts at Sofy's are to die for!

HB, I live here!!

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Check out the left side bar of the opening page of the travel section. There are links to pages with information on what to do in Puerto Plata (Playa Dorada), Sosua, Cabarete, Playa Grande, all within reasonsable driving distance from your area. http://dr1.com/travel/index.shtml