9 tourists missing off the coast of puerto plata

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's a busy part of sky over the North Coast as far as air traffic goes. It's the primary air corridor for the Caribbean and East Coast of South America. If they are well equipped and have survival equipment including distress flares and a beacon, the chances of them being spotted are good. Weather and visibility is good too.

A friend of mine has a seaplane at POP. I've sent him a message if he's up for a search and rescue mission.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
On behalf of myself and other owners, we can offer one seaplane, two Cessnas and four pilots that are POP based to assist with the search mission.

It will have be first light tomorrow morning but in the meantime we would like a direct point of contact with whomever is coordinating the search.

Anyone reading this with these connections feel free to ring me on 809 849 1151

Alex.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
On behalf of myself and other owners, we can offer one seaplane, two Cessnas and four pilots that are POP based to assist with the search mission.

It will have be first light tomorrow morning but in the meantime we would like a direct point of contact with whomever is coordinating the search.

Anyone reading this with these connections feel free to ring me on 809 849 1151

Alex.

People have been found alive. Stand bye for details

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And they actually got to use a Super Tucano to find them!!

Great news they were found.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
According to the Crimestoppers page on FB, they were in the water for 5 hours, lucky to be alive:

Great news once again!!! Just got back from a search and rescue. 9 tourists who were out fishing about 10 miles offshore from Maimon radioed for help at 11am as the fishing boat took on water and sunk within 40 seconds. The FARD Dominican Air Force SAR Unit from both the capital and the base in Puerto Plata were dispatched without delay, and I am happy to report that all the tourists were saved as well as the captain and mate of the vessel. It took approximately 5 hours to locate them due to heavy swells. The tourists rescued are from, Canada, United States and England. This is the footage captured from the second helicopter as the Air Force began to pull the tourists out of the water. More video to come. So proud of our team at the FARD BAPP and all who participated.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Leon Alter has the Video of the Rescue on his FB Page.... looks like they were all in the water wearing their vests ? but stuck together in a group holding on to each other ?,, very smart.
Well, one good thing , i guess there are not too many sharks around. even if you floating in the water for hours, and miles offshore..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I can't imagine what would go through your mind during those 5 hours while you are lost at sea. Cheers to the speedy rescue and all those involved.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
And they actually got to use a Super Tucano to find them!!

Great news they were found.

Hmm.
I think it was the lifestyle helicopter actually but the FAD did a great job with their Helo during the rescue.

Well done those guys!

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Click link directly above your post, #16.

I as well would like to see the video. Not possible,
"Diese Seite ist leider nicht verf?gbar
Entweder funktioniert der von dir angeklickte Link nicht oder die Seite wurde entfernt."
Says: "sadly this page is not available. Either the link doesn't work or the
page was removed"