Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playa Palenque....(from Santo Domingo)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been a couple years but I used to go often when I lived in the capitol. Saturdays can be quiet this time of year but I would bet Sundays are still full as that is the day Dominicans typically flock to the various beaches in the country.
    My only bad experience at Palenque was one of the times I bought fresh fish to take home for cooking the guy put the fish in a single plastic bag with a hole in it. The next morning, and for weeks to come, the Ford Explorer smelled as horrible as you would guess from that fishy water. Lucky for me at the time I was the G.M. of a car rental company and just switched into another Explorer. The guys tried EVERYTHING to kill the smell but that Jepeta sat on the lot for quite a while before it every generated another peso.
    I make a point to make sure fish is properly wrapped and put in my cooler these days.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

garyexpat's post reminded me of another thing I enjoy there.

First of all, I'd be remiss if I didn't say that the end of the beach that I gave directions to is called Cocolandia.

We've probably watched the fishing nets get set up hundreds of times there. Then a bunch of guys on the beach slowly pull them in, it takes a very long time. They sell the fish they catch - and there are several 'fish shacks' that you'll pass before reaching the restaurant area, but they're only open early. You'll almost always see the fishermen who went out in their boats standing at makeshift tables along the road, cleaning their catch. Sometimes they have lobsters, and we've bought them and asked Elidania to cook them up for us. Yum.

I always buy the raw clams there too, always enjoy them and never been sick from them.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

3. Likes cbmitch9 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Been there a couple of times. Very beautiful. Google map navigation has semi perfect directions. I used it on my smartphone.
    Heck, even the turn-by-turn directions were pronounced correctly by the voice on google navigation.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    If you go on a weekend, it's packed. As in you'll have a hard time even finding a place to park. We always try to go early because of parking issues. Every table is usually filled with middle/upper middle/upper class Dominicans and their families.

If you look down the beach further west, you'll see a lot of people sitting and swimming down there. They bring their own food and drink

Try Cheo's Empanadas - he makes them from yuca flour and they are delicious. Elidania often has them too.
    actually I have never eaten at the beach ...due to the fact I never see anyone there .....ill grab the bull by the horns and try the empanadas next time...hopefully in late October early november

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12