MAAANY questions, first time in DR

topek

Sep 11, 2016
Hi DR1 members,

My first post here, so hello everybody :)

I want simply prepare for my trip at best what is possible.
I don?t have influence on everything.
It will be my first time in DR. I?m from Europe (Poland).
Coming in 5 weeks to Santo Domingo to learn Spanish. I?ve found already my school, booked the accommodation, read a lot about everything (restaurants, history, safety, things to do and so on) but still have many questions. I hope someone can help me and answer on few of them.
My goal is to try a little bit of local life. I don?t like ?all inclusive resorts? because tourists there, don?t even try to understand the country and meet local people.

Yo estoy apprendiendo espanol, entiendo mucho pero no hablo bien :)

1. Health - Vaccines & doctors & mosquitos & hints
a. On the CDC page they recommend to make 2 vaccines: Hepatitis A and Typhoid
Can you confirm, it is a good idea to take this vaccines?
If someone visit you from Europe/USA you recommend to take this vaccines before arriving?
I haven?t been in countries outside of Europe (ok, one day in Marocco :) ) or USA. So perhaps it is overreaction?

b. Doctors
If something goes wrong, can you recommend good doctors (speaking English or German) in Santo Domingo (zona universitaria/colonial)?
I don?t want to look for this information if will be in emergency mode :)

c. General Hints
The general purpose of this point is to avoid vacations spent dying in bed or on toilet :)
Do you have any hints for me If I start to feel bad?
Some of my friends flying to Egypt for vacations drink vodka after every meal? :)

Mosquitos
For sure you heard about Zika, Dengue and others viruses.
Is the risk/hazard pretty high in Santo Domingo? Should you buy something against mosquitos (DEET) and use it every day?
Bring my own mosquito net to mount it over my bed?

topek

Sep 11, 2016
2. Culture & Sport events
a. Merengue - unfortunately I will miss the merengue festival, but still I would go to merengue concerts, local clubs (not tourist traps). Any recommendations here?

Is there any web page from Santo Domingo with all upcoming concerts, events, etc?

b. Concert – in general I would like to go where local people go. Some local events which are not so typical for tourists.
c. Sport events– I read, that sport number one in DR is baseball.
Where I can go to see a match? :) (I have been in USA in baseball game, MLB preparation in Florida but it was really boring)
Which other sports are popular in DR and worth to visit?
d. Is it possible to swim in the ocean in Santo Domingo? I mean is the water clear?
Or should I go to Boca Chica or other beach?

3. Food
a. Working class food – I would try (if it’s safe) some local restaurants.
Don’t like fancy, expensive places. I want to be with the locals, eating simple food.
It’s not about money, I simply like it. I have some recommendations for you in Portugal, Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy if you want. Where should I go to eat with normal Dominican people?

b. Which typical meals (I googled already for it) from DR should I try? :)

topek

Sep 11, 2016
5. Clubs & Nightlife
a. I find a (hopefully) very nice club: “Casa de teatro” in Zona colonial. With concerts, stand-ups, expositions. Do you know something similar and can recommend?
b. I read somewhere (not sure where) about meetings of local people in Car-Wash spots (?), drink there, eat and prepare for party. Is it right or I’m mixing something up?
c. Is Avenida Venezuela a safe place?
d. Can you recommend some simple student clubs with local music (merengue, bachata)?
I simply don’t want to go to the expensive, big discos with many expats.

6. Destinations
a. What do you recommend to see/do in 200 km radius from Santo Domingo?
I would rent a car for weekend and travel a bit.
Is going west (border to Haiti, crossing it?!) a good idea?
b. Isla catalina? Is it worth to go there?
c. Ferry to Puerto Rico ?
Anyone of you used that?

That’s just the beginning of my “questions session” ;-)
Thank you in advance for responses.

topek

Sep 11, 2016
4. Safety
a. car – I read many forum threads about renting a car in DR. Some are very scary, some are ok. Ia m not afraid. I survive London, Trafalgar Square driving on the (wrong?) side so I should also survive DR, right?
b. Is there any map of bad neighbourhoods in Santo Domingo which I should avoid at day or night? I want also use subway and buses in the city and just ride through it, walk, hang around. But don’t want to make something stupid and wake up in Favelas.

c. My idea for my safety is
c1 copy my passport and leave original in hotel (same for c cards)
c2 don’t wear gold, fancy watches
c3 taking with my my old smartphone
c4 don’t have any credit cards with me
c5 Only about 2000 pesos in my pocket. No more
If they (thieves) rob me, I will lose about 100 USD, DR pesos and old smartphone
Any better ideas here?

topek

Sep 11, 2016
I don't know why, but i couldnt write everything in one post.
DR1 script always informed me "you're using forbidden words" but didn't hint me which are forbidden.
Sorry for split :-(

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as far as the health goes, i'd skip the vaccines. but use the condoms. and yes, use mosquito net and spray.
get travel insurance that will cover you for the duration of your stay.

food is kinda bland here but try sanchocho (thick soup/stew) and mondongo (thick flaki). mofongo con chicharron is great, so is mangu with fried onion. you may like empanadas.

check SD calendar in this subforum for upcoming events in SD. lots of stuff happens in the capital, from sports to culture and entertainment. don't rent a car, use public transport. less stressful and you can mingle with autochthons.

Aug 6, 2006
I suppose the vaccinations could not hurt, but I have been to the DR many7 times and have never had them.
I like quipes and lechoza con leche in addition to what was mentioned.
I ate some cold chicharron from a guy cruising around on a bike in Juan Dolio that I sure wish I'd avoided. Some icky parasite that made me miserable for two weeks. Lots of expensive pills to get rid of.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I would also recommend purchasing travel insurance. You never know when it will become handy.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
b. Doctors
If something goes wrong, can you recommend good doctors (speaking English or German) in Santo Domingo (zona universitaria/colonial)?
I don’t want to look for this information if will be in emergency mode :)

Cl?nica Abreu in avenida Independencia, write it down.

Mosquitos
Is the risk/hazard pretty high in Santo Domingo? Should you buy something against mosquitos (DEET) and use it every day?

Buy mosquito spray, use it everyday. Once the bottle you bring with you runs out, head to the nearest La Sirena or Jumbo or Nacional or some other supermarket and buy a new one there.

c. Sport events– I read, that sport number one in DR is baseball.
Where I can go to see a match? :) (I have been in USA in baseball game, MLB preparation in Florida but it was really boring)
Which other sports are popular in DR and worth to visit?

DR baseball season is during the winter months and they play several matches at Estadio Quisqueya. Its slightly more exciting than baseball games in the USA. Outside of baseball season there are plenty of games taking place in many baseball fields, just none of the official ones. There are training camps for most of the MLB teams near SD, but I've never been to one and don't know if they accept visitors.

d. Is it possible to swim in the ocean in Santo Domingo? I mean is the water clear?
Or should I go to Boca Chica or other beach?

If you want to die from pollution and then be eaten by a shark. lol The best beach near the capital is in Juan Dolio, 45 minutes to east. If you really want to see a memorable beach, see if you can get a day trip tour to Isla Saona from La Romana. A nice spot to take photos, put it on Facebook, and make your family and friends at home a little jealous.

a. working class food – I would try (if it’s safe) some local restaurants.
Don’t like fancy, expensive places. I want to be with the locals, eating simple food.
It’s not about money, I simply like it. I have some recommendations for you in Portugal, Spain, Germany, Poland, Italy if you want. Where should I go to eat with normal Dominican people?

There is not much difference between the typical Dominican food of the working class vs the middle/upper classes. The country is very homogenous in this respect. Most Dominican dishes are basically Spanish dishes with some tropical fruits and vegetables replacing some not-so-easy to find ingredients (until a few years ago). For example, the asopao is actually the Spanish arroz caldoso minus the seafood. Why? In colonial times the vast majority of the population lived too far inland for the usage of seafood to be practical, so the seafood was replaced with inland meat such as beef. The Moro is the same Spanish Moros y cristianos with maybe a yucca or batata as an additional side that doesn't exist in the original Spanish version. The Sancocho is the same one you find in Spain and through out Spanish America. The national dish is arroz con habichuelas y carne (either beef or chicken, sometimes pork).

Some Dominican foods are of African origin, such as mang? which derives from fufu.

Some Dominican foods are of Taino origin, such as cassabe. But, like I said, most of it is Spanish stuff.

A few are of Arab origin, such as quipe.

Most Dominicans are completely unaware of the Spanish origin of most Dominican plates, so don't be surprised if you ask some Dominican about Moro and they make it seem as if it was invented somewhere in the DR and its eaten only in the DR. In fact, Dominicans will often do that with all foods, even quipe is widespread thought to be purely Dominican.

When you get a chance, ask for a batida de lechosa or jugo de tamarindo. If you are not lactose intolerant, don't skip the chance of drinking a Morir So?ando. To die for.​

a. What do you recommend to see/do in 200 km radius from Santo Domingo?
I would rent a car for weekend and travel a bit.

Buy a couple of travel guides. They probably cover the main attractions.

Is going west (border to Haiti, crossing it?!) a good idea?
Haiti is a completely different experience and the more interesting things to see there are quite far from the border. If you are thinking of just going to the actual border and crossing to the other side and then crossing back, might as well forget it. Especially at Juana Mendez, that is simply a sad (and often smelly) experience.

b. Isla catalina? Is it worth to go there?
Forget it, Isla Saona is better and easier to get to (not necessarily closer).

c. Ferry to Puerto Rico ?
Anyone of you used that?

They were in the news not too long ago. It burnt off the coast of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Who knows when it will be back up and running.

a. car – I read many forum threads about renting a car in DR. Some are very scary, some are ok. Ia m not afraid. I survive London, Trafalgar Square driving on the (wrong?) side so I should also survive DR, right?

If you are easily frightened, might as well let someone else do the driving. It isn't as bad as most people make it out to be, especially if you can ignore all the crazy people and drive normal while they pass you left, right, and center. But, from time to time you will need nerves of steel and, quite frankly, not too many people have them. In fact, quite frequently even as a passenger you will need nerves of steel but at least you can close your eyes until it passes, not so if you are behind the wheel. Just saying...

b. Is there any map of bad neighbourhoods in Santo Domingo which I should avoid at day or night? I want also use subway and buses in the city and just ride through it, walk, hang around. But don’t want to make something stupid and wake up in Favelas.
Nope. That's actually a good idea. In SD, the nicer/modern neighborhoods are mostly west of avenida M?ximo G?mez and east of avenida Luper?n. Anything can happen anywhere, but at least there you may feel safer. Its easier to navigate too. Everything you need for a modern life can be found there and if not, then it doesn't exist on the island.

If they (thieves) rob me, I will lose about 100 USD, DR pesos and old smartphone
Any better ideas here?

Good ideas. Just don't talk on your cellphone in public streets, regardless if its new or old. Better to be safe. Most thieves move on motorcycles and are opportunists. In the part of the city I mentioned above there are less motorcycles than in the outskirts and suburbs, so its easier to keep your guards up whenever a motorcycle is coming your way (just in case). In the outskirts/suburbs there are so many motorcycles that eventually you will let down your guard and that's when stuff happens.

If you are taking credit cards to DR, even if not planning to use them, call the CC company first and tell them of the time period you will be in the DR. Many CC companies will lock your card as soon as the first charge is made in the DR if you don't tell them before hand that you will be in the country. Also, some CC companies will send you emails or texts confirming any purchases you made with your CC while you are still in the DR, as a safety measure. I don't know if from Poland you can do that via the internet, but at least US CC companies allow you to put a 'will be abroad' message via their webpage, that takes away the need to call them.

Last edited:

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi DR1 members,

My first post here, so hello everybody :)

I want simply prepare for my trip at best what is possible.
I don’t have influence on everything.
It will be my first time in DR. I’m from Europe (Poland).
Coming in 5 weeks to Santo Domingo to learn Spanish. I’ve found already my school, booked the accommodation, read a lot about everything (restaurants, history, safety, things to do and so on) but still have many questions. I hope someone can help me and answer on few of them.
My goal is to try a little bit of local life. I don’t like “all inclusive resorts” because tourists there, don’t even try to understand the country and meet local people.

Yo estoy apprendiendo espanol, entiendo mucho pero no hablo bien :)

1. Health - Vaccines & doctors & mosquitos & hints
a. On the CDC page they recommend to make 2 vaccines: Hepatitis A and Typhoid
Can you confirm, it is a good idea to take this vaccines?
If someone visit you from Europe/USA you recommend to take this vaccines before arriving?
I haven’t been in countries outside of Europe (ok, one day in Marocco :) ) or USA. So perhaps it is overreaction?

b. Doctors
I don’t want to look for this information if will be in emergency mode :)

c. General Hints
The general purpose of this point is to avoid vacations spent dying in bed or on toilet :)
Do you have any hints for me If I start to feel bad?
Some of my friends flying to Egypt for vacations drink vodka after every meal… :)

Mosquitos

Hi:

I have travelling to the DR for 30 years and have stayed from one week to 7 months at a time. I have never gotten any vaccinations. I would bring some mosquito repellent. Do you know where you are staying? See what they have for sleeping arrangements. Remember it will still be hot this time of year and your body will need to acclimate to the weather. Drink bottled water. Do not over eat a lot of fruits and veggies. You can have stomach issues. You can find rememdies at any local pharmacy. One thing I have bought in the past for diareaha is a drug called Prodom. This will fix you up very quickly. Just do things in moderation and you will be fine. Also do not carry a lot of cash or jewerly. Use you credit/debit card to withdraw pesos as you need them. Be careful when you are out at a bar who you are talking to. Prostitution is legal and you will be approached without a doubt. Be friendly but cautious. Have fun and soak up the culture. Good luck and good travels.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Where r u taking spanish classes? If u go to Casa Goethe then i can tell u that they are great with giving tips about restaurants and nightlife. They also join u if u need to see a doctor. If u go this schoon send me a pm and i can give u some more information

topek

Sep 11, 2016
Dear DR1 users,

I'am really surprised how quick and inforative your repsonse was.
Appreciate! :)

NALs won this round. Thank you :)

1. Vaccines ? I have an appointment with doc next week. Vaccines are for free, I mean my insurance pays for it (hepatitis a + typhoid). I think I will take them. They can help and will not kill me.
2. Travel insurance ? I have it already. A premium one for whole year, whole world. Thank you for giving me the address of Cl?nica Abreu. Do they have 24h emergency?
3. SD calendar on this forum ? looks pretty empty. Most of the points are repeating. Do you know any web page (can be in Spanish) where the events, concerts are listed for SDomingo?
4. UBER ? I plan to use it in Santo Domingo, read many positive feedbacks.
5. Rental car ? I want to rent it for weekends and drive somewhere outside of SD. Perhaps to the center of island (Mountains)? Or to the beaches. During the weekdays I will use metro and guaguas.
6. Mosquito spray ? I will buy 3-4 bottles of DEET and bring them with me. I like to be prepared. DEET should be the best against mosquitos and of course I?ll bring my own mosquito net.
7. Baseball ? what are the winter months? In October no games?
8. Beach ? you recommend Juan Dolio. Why not boca chica? :) tourist trap?
9. Isla Saona ? sounds very interesting. Thank you. Where are the ferries in La Romana and how much cost it? Isla Soana is pretty big. Are there any taxis? How I can move there? Just walk?
10. Restaurant recommendations? No one of you? I will then take the best from TripAdvisor
11. Safety ? thank you for the hints about not using smartphone in the public. What about using them in the Malls. Is it also dangerous?
12. Shopping ? is Santo Domingo/DR cheap/expensive if you compare to prices in outlets/TjMaxx in USA? I mean buying shirts, pants, sun glases etc?
13. Vegatables, Fruits ? are there some specific verduras/frutas from DR? Do they have good tomatoes in DR? :) In Europe the vegetables in supermercados are just average or sucks (from Holland, never saw the sun) :-/
14. I read, that in some parks of Santo Domingo are Zumba, Merengue lessons (for free!) Is that right?

Again, thank you very much for all the responses.

Kind regards
topek

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Yes there are Zumba Lessons in the center on the oceanfront I remember but I dont know exactly where. Never heard about free merengue classes but on sunday night there is a life music event with a lot of latin american music at Las Ruinas, very recommendable! A great, safe and more relaxed atmosphere. when it comes to fruit you will eat the best mangos and tropical fruits in your life..not so sure about tomatoes. Boca Chica is fun and a bit shorter distance than Juan Dolio. Convenient for an afternoon beach visit after your school. Its very relaxed during the week but busy on weekends. Sorry but can only answer a few questions

Aug 6, 2006
Dancing the merengue is pretty easy: just watch others. It is not a dance that requires skill, like the tango.
There is a cool hotel in Juan Dolio, owned by an Italian lady but with an East Indian theme called Fior de Loto.
About $35 per night, not far from bars and beaches.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
1. if you wanna go for vaccines then consider adding tetanus shot to the pool. DR is a bit dirty and any open wounds/cuts are prone to infection and take time to heal.
3. SD calendar gets filled and has posts deleted as events take place. i check several different websites to find upcoming events. once you find locations you like (bars, theaters, clubs) check their FB and insta for upcoming events.
5. if you insist on renting a car check places like jarabacoa, constanza, lago enriquillo, barahona.
6. you do not have to bring mosquito spray with you, it's easily available all over DR. if you like natural stuff try dominican product called repelengue. smells nice and it is effective/ at nigh burn mosquito coils in your room, that helps.
8. boca chica has more whores, drugs and crime. but the beach is ok and there are few nice restaurants with long piers over the water.
11. safety is an issue in DR so use common sense. don't carry too much cash with you. don't wear gold anchor chain around your neck. memorize emergency numbers in case your phone gets nicked. and buy gorilla glass screen protector. it's a great little thing.
12. skip the shopping, it ain't worth it. when the price is low so is quality.
13. i like dominican veggies, apart from tayota that looks like a slimy punnaney. here's your opportunity to eat your fill so try platano verde/maduro, rulo, yuca, name, yautia, batatas and more. tomatoes are not good, in my opinion. try fruits, tho. even the ones you know from home (banana, pineapple) taste so much better here.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
4. Safety

Any better ideas here?

Safety in Santo Domingo can be challenging. Too many bad neighborhoods to count.
Perhaps you should just stay west of the Ozama River in places like Zona Colonial, Piantini
and Naco. Once outside the Zona Colonial, do not go anywhere near the Ozama River as
almost all of these neighborhoods in the city are very dangerous. Good luck and safe travels.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
There are many more safe areas in Santo Domingo than listed above but apart from (missing) Bella Vista, Casigazcos, and El Limon.
Other than colonial i have lived in all over the past 8 years never an issue. Beach resort areas where tourist are you need to keep your eyes open

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
To the OP..You really don't like surprises or the enjoyment of the unexpected do you?

Recommend the rough guide to the Caribbean.Saves all the hassle of contradictory advice from us amateurs..