Do you regret moving to the Dominican Republic?

Do you regret moving to the Dominican Republic?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This poll was suggested by Dominican Joe and its quite straight forward.

Some of the additional questions (to be answered in posts):

1. From what country did you moved to the DR?

2. How long have you been living in the DR?

3. How do you cope with the weather?

4. How did you became used to (or incoporated into your diet) typical Dominican food?

5. (For non-Spanish speakers) How do you manage without speaking Spanish?

6. Was getting used to local driving habits easy or hard? How did you cope with it?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am an American, but came here from Panama. Been here about 5 years with a few short trips back. Driving habits here are better than some places I have been. Ain't seen no weather that needs coping with, no snow to shovel or swear at. Food? Dead chickens are dead chickens or dead cows are dead cows. No real difference for me from elsewhere
Der Fish

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
1. Germany
2. 19 years
3. I sweat and swear, nah got more or less used to it don't really need an A/C
4. Trying to avoid it as much as possible, wife is a great cook and knows to cook everything besides Dominican, like Mexican for example, cooking is her favorite pastime and I take advantage of it. Rice and Beans? Maybe once a week...
5. n/a
6. I hunt'em...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. England via Maldives, Singapore, Thailand, Borneo, Menorca
2. 15 years
3. No big deal at all. Live in mountains no a/c no fans is fine just cold at night
4. No problem as can only get Dominican food here - cook it with an Indian, Thai, Chinese, English twist. Chicken rice and beans is chicken curry, dal and rice.
5. I speak Spanish now - how can anyone live here without learning Spanish? Our house is 100% Spanish.
6. No problem with driving - never had an accident but I don't drive at night

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
1. Netherlands
2. 7 years now and 4 years before
3. I loathe the summer. Winter is excellent. Have airco almost in the whole house but dislike the fact I can't spend time outside during the day because of the heat.
4. I don't like Dominican food but can eat it. Happily we eat pasta, lasagna , hot dogs , hamburgers , nachos and tacos often enough too, and then there is always a pan de agua con mantequilla de man?.
5. I speak Spanish , so no problem here.
6. I like driving here, more so than in my own country. A relieve not to have to be on the lookout all the time for civil police cars checking speed or speed cams along the highway.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
1. USA
2. Almost 24 years
3. Try not to think about it.
4. Do not really eat as much Dominican food as I did in the beginning. Cook a variety of foods, trying to stay away from the heavier Dominican diet. Still will have rice and beans occasionally during the week. Even when cooking Dominican style food I try to cook a healthier version of it.
5. I speak Spanish, as Matilda stated it would be difficult living here without speaking Spanish. My in-laws only speak Spanish so in order to communicate I needed to improve my high school Spanish.
6. I am ok with driving. The traffic is another story.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
1.- From the US
2.- Almost 5 years
3.- I like it. The heat in the summer bothers me somewhat, but then again, you don't have to shovel it. Not a fan of A/C but find that my fans work just fine. I carry a hand fan in my bag.
4.- I seldom eat Dominican food. I eat the way I ate in the US, but far less meat, as kosher meat is hard to come by here. I don't eat Dominican style, i.e., large meal at midday.
5.- I took an intensive Spanish class upon arrival and although still a work in progress, I function in Spanish on a daily basis.
6.- I seldom drive, but have learned that being "horny" --- as in using the horn more than I ever have in my life --- is your best defense. That, and not renting the tiniest cars any more. Dealing with Dominican drivers as a pedestrian is my chief challenge.

Last edited:

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
1. Western Canada
2. This will be our 9th year
3. Love the weather. beats minus 30 and snow. It is one the main reasons for being here
4. I enjoy most Dominican foods. Normally we eat pretty much the way we did in Canada
5. The language barrier was difficult at first. I still haven't learned Spanish as most people I run into are trying to improve their English. My wifes Spanish is much better than I so it hasn't been an issue.
6. I love driving here. When I go back I have to really concentrate on not being a ahole in traffic.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
1. UK

2. 17 years last month.

3. Always go away for at least one month during summer.
Failing that, I would go to Constanza for two weeks to have a break from the heat.

4. I love most of the bean and vegetable-based dishes, but don't eat any meat, chicken or fish.

5. N/A

6. Yes, it wasn't easy but somehow I got the hang of driving in the capital and took it in my stride.
Now I avoid having to drive as much as possible and so have lost a bit of confidence.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
1.USA
2.10 years
3.a day without shoveling snow is a good weather day!
4.our diet here is healthier with no processed foods enjoying the abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables.
5.Spanglish seems to work, thank goodness, since foreign language brain cells have long ago shriveled with old age.
6.Our visiting son summed it up 10 years ago when he said "I see you have embraced the sport of driving here"

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Don't regret it for a nano-second.

1) Florida

2) 8.5 years

3) Better, by far, than FL weather. Cooler in the summer & warmer than the winter

4) Not a massive change except more veggies & fruit. more chicken & pork, much less beef

5) Wife is tri-lingual Dominican, and my Spanish is getting slowly better. Many if not most I deal with can speak English and actually enjoy the practice

6) Driving, once the culture and unwritten "rules of the road" were understood have been easy. Actually, I'm more dangerous for the first 30 minutes when driving back in the states, a re-entry of sorts

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Zero regrets.

1. From what country did you moved to the DR?
USA

2. How long have you been living in the DR?
11 years now + 3 previously

3. How do you cope with the weather?
A/C and try to avoid being out on the hottest of afternoons.

4. How did you became used to (or incoporated into your diet) typical Dominican food?
Quite happy eating Dominican food... but unfortunately too many carbs in general for me.

5. (For non-Spanish speakers) How do you manage without speaking Spanish?
Learned to speak Spanish

6. Was getting used to local driving habits easy or hard? How did you cope with it?
Just grabbed a car one day at work and drove across Santiago. Maybe a month before I was not white knuckling it. These days the traffic here is second nature. Don't think of it as being unusual.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
No regrets, not for one second.

1. Netherlands.
2. 15 years.
3. Love it, only use a fan no ac.
4. I eat it all.
5. Spoke Spanish after 3 months (can't live decently in any country without speaking the language imo)
6. Easy. Considering everybody more drunk than me and under the influence of whatever.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
I would like to thank nalls for this poll
I have been there many times
but i find the flight long
and the weather to hot,
my wife is from nagua

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No regrets

Cdn citizen arrived through USA

9 years this Jan

No weather issues - Great Lakes hotter, more humid in summer
but I return there May/June and Sept/Oct

Eat better here than anywhere.. no processed foods( a Abuela), all fresh, etc

Learned enough Spanish to get by and get in trouble

Have won many road rallies and been offered work in chofer school.
Seem to be squeaking by

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
1. Canada
2. 20 years
3. A/c at home, car and office
4. Didn't have a choice at first. It was that or nothing
5. Learned spanish the hard way and worked to make it as perfect as possible
6. Learned to drive here. Driving in Canada is boring...

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
1. I came from Qu?bec, Canada
2. It will be 5 years this November 3rd
3. Summer is a little rough but I still can function without A/C... Love it otherwise
4. No problem with dominican food, but most of the time, I make my own meals so.... my own receipes
5. I came here bilingual with french and english... learned spanish by myself... no way someone would move to a country and NOT learn the language
6. Don't drive here but the driving is almost like in Montreal, so no panic when I drive...

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
1. U.S.A.
2. 9 years
3. Easy, love the heat. Hate cold.
4. I eat out at restaurants almost all the time so try to avoid most Dominican food.
5. N/A
6. Very easily. I love driving here, no tickets and you can drive as fast as you want.....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Only regret is it takes two days to get to BC to visit my kids and parents.

1. From British Columbia Canada
2. 4 years
3. Weather is fine. Heat bothers my Dominican wife more than me. Have AC in the Bedroom, only used about 30 days a year.
4. I have no problem with Dominican food,
5. I understand far more Spanish than I can speak but slowly but surely I'm learning , a poco a poco. Fortunately many in my wife's family can speak some English.
6. I don't mind driving here, but do vocalize my frustration on the idiot moto drivers. I avoid driving in Santiago at night, I find it worse than Santo Domingo. Better roads equals faster drivers.

web

Nov 5, 2005
This poll was suggested by Dominican Joe and its quite straight forward.

Some of the additional questions (to be answered in posts):

1. From what country did you moved to the DR? United States

2. How long have you been living in the DR? 9 years

3. How do you cope with the weather? Fan, A/C, Umbrella

4. How did you became used to (or incoporated into your diet) typical Dominican food? Love Bandera Dominicana (Arroz, carne, ensalada)

5. (For non-Spanish speakers) How do you manage without speaking Spanish? I am about 80% espeaka Espanish

Defensive driving...pull off to the side a lot and most times I still am behind the same vehicle except for Caribe Tours