View Poll Results: Do you regret moving to the Dominican Republic?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely

12 13.95%
  • Somewhat

9 10.47%
  • A little

8 9.30%
  • No

54 62.79%
  • Not sure

3 3.49%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you regret moving to the Dominican Republic?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

1. UK
    2. 6 years
    3. No problem. I wouldn't have come if I didn't like warmer weather than back home.
    4. Not really. Rice and beans don't do a lot for me.
    5. Have learnt enough Spanish over my time here to be able to communicate adequately. I rarely understand when Dominicans speak to each other or expect me to comprehend when they speak at top speed. Don't like talking Spanish on the phone.
    6. Getting used to driving here is fine, as long as you remember to look all around at all times for motos passing on all sides. I'll never get used to the lack of consideration at night when lights either blind you or are invisible.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Netherlands
    2. From 1991-2000, this month we go back again to the DR, at this moment selling everything here in Belgium and packing.
    3. A/C and long siestas with the DR lady.
    4. I am an easy eater. Like beans, like chicken and the known roots, yuca, yautia, etc.
    5. I studied Spanish so no problem, speak it since the 1980's.
    6. Hate the traffic in SD but we live in a wonderful campo.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Regrets? Nope

1. From what country did you moved to the DR? USA via PR

2. How long have you been living in the DR? Came first time in 1971, moved for good in 1986.

3. How do you cope with the weather? What's wrong with the weather?

4. How did you became used to (or incorporated into your diet) typical Dominican food? I'm good with food. Any food. (except guandules)

5. (For non-Spanish speakers) How do you manage without speaking Spanish? I speak Dominican @#$@#$# with an accent.

6. Was getting used to local driving habits easy or hard? How did you cope with it? DR traffic is "go with the flow" method. Figure that out, it's a piece of cake. Never drive fast.

4. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

1. UK but in reality I'm a Caribbean expat
    2. On a permanent basis 11 years with times off island work related. First visited 1983.
    3. Weather is perfect and still with a hint of seasonal variation being in the north of the Caribbean. I don't use air conditioning except in the car.
    4. I enjoy most types of Dominican food but shun the fried dishes.
    5. I started my time here without a word of Spanish but have worked at it ever since and whilst far from perfect feel at ease in daily living with the language now.
    6. Like a fish to water having driven in other countries with disregard to traffic rules. 'Nose in front rules' and always drive defensively and calm.

6. Likes cbmitch9 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes to regrets!! I have a love/ hate relationship with this Country, right now in the HATE stage.
    The thing that keeps us here is all the awesome friends we have and well our 12 animals. I can't see us being here for more than 5 years from now.

1. Vancouver, Canada.

2. We have lived here 3 years 9 months

3. I dislike the heat a great deal although I am becoming more acclimatized, I don't like living in this climate year round. It's nice that it is always sunny and bright out though. Way prefer Vancouver weather.

4. I've had Domincan food 3-4 times and, dislike it, always eat at gringo restaurants and don't eat food when offered it at people's places I've always been a picky eater though.

5. It's somewhat easy to get around on the NC without Spnaish but would make things a lot easier to be fluent that I know! I have my wife and friends to translate what I don't understand .

6. I quite like driving here, it's like a video game. I love driving challenges!!!

Some of the motos I would love to pick off with a BB gun .

Dominican Republic is not for everyone and I am one of those people. CC you were right!! .

8. Likes RayO, Mauricio, KateP, keepcoming, Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

1. From USA
    2. Living here 4 1/2 years non stop minus - 6 weeks this past summer.
    3. Weather here is just like back home in Louisiana. Hot, humid, love it.
    4. Seamless transition with the food... lots of rice with meat and beans back home.
    Its all this light beer I'm having trouble incorporating into my diet.
    5. Spanish was a little (still is) tricky. I understand a lot more than I can speak (properly)
    probably because I learned most of it with nothing more than a dictionary and a
    few barrio bunnies
    6. Getting used to the local "driving" (if thats what you want to call it) was easy as I lived in
    a few other third world countries, although I'd never consider owning a car or driving here
    on a regular basis.

10. Likes Guthrie liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

It's good to see that despite what seems to be a lot of negativity in general on the DR1 site, most people taking part in the survey don't regret moving here. Maybe people just like moaning, or maybe wherever they came from they moaned even more!

12. Likes DOMINCAN JOE, cbmitch9, irishpaddy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My only regret was being so far from family the day my Dad passed away.

1. Country bumpkin from the UK
    2. 6.5 years
    3. Acclimatized well and learned long ago that trying to keep up with the locals when it gets hot is futile for this gringo. AC, what's that? Campo style cooling is open doors and windows, the shade of a tree or sitting in the river with a Presidente.
    4. Cooked and not moving works for me every time. I like Dominican food be it in a good restaurant (a rare treat) or having a meal with the workers that has been cooked campo style in the shade of a mango tree. I do miss English real ale and admit to smuggling Marmite into the country.
    5. No Spanish when I first arrived but picked it up relatively quickly. It's not perfect (call it semi fluent) but learning is an on going process and is good enough to make myself understood.
    6. From the orderly roads of the UK to what seemed to be the live set of Death Race 2000 was a big culture shock. Having to get used to things being on the 'wrong' side (steering wheel, traffic) while getting to grips with the apparent free for all road rules was stressful for a while. I'm used to it now and chug along with inner peace at my own pace in a beat up pickup truck. However it's always in defensive mode just in case the next idiot moto, taxi, Mack truck or jay walking farm animal or human is just around the next corner planning to mess up my day.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    4. How did you became used to (or incorporated into your diet) typical Dominican food? I'm good with food. Any food. (except guandules)
    Agree on guandules.

Not a huge fan of yuca or platano (love maduros, though.) Tayota is something I pass on unless that's the only veggie offered.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

I wanna hear from the NO and SOMEWHAT responders.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast