Excellent maid/housekeeper available

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I will be leaving Santo Domingo and so my most excellent cleaner/housekeeper will be available. She is extremely honest, hard working, and reliable. Not only a very good cleaner but can also cook, does laundry, irons, does errands such as shopping.. erc..

Not available for live in..

Contact Andriana Angomas 809 239 1137

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
what did you pay her? will she do just couple days a week? what area does she live?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
yes.,. throwing in the towel.. flying the coop ,,. going back to the States where I can sing and play the guitar at the senior center and find folks who will sing along to kumbaya..
Moving to around West Palm Beach.. where I can still keep an eye on the Fanjul sugar daddies.. have bought a funky double wide in a senior park with two pools and a shuffleboard court and giant library.
there are TWO Kreyole radio stations! Now I am just back in SD - and sorta like a deer in headlights trying to figure out what and how to dismantle from the apartment.. Which is so...well.. comfortable
and .. well.. homey... and ... There are NO colmados in Lake Worth (but there is an INDIAN restaurant that delivers and in addition to the library in the community, I can walk to the public library).. The beach
is .. Gorgeous.. about 10 minutes away. And W.Palm is actually quite habitable for a New Yorker (as my cousin said.. it has sidewalks.. you can parallel park).....

So.. About Adriana.. as some have written.. she has been with me about 5 years, I think. She only works for me 2 days a week and commutes from Villa Mella where she has a house. She carries her own insurance and has a little shop attached to the house so I think she will prefer part time. I pay her !000 pesos a day.. which I think is the going rate now in SD. She is an amazingly hard worker and does everything.. from cleaning floors to paying the electric.. Completely honest..
A good companion.. a compassionate nurse.. would NOT have survived the Chikungunya without her....

So.. well.. if there were any way that I could take her with me, I would..

her cell is 829 423 0823... tell her Elizabeth sent you...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Enjoy yourself Annie.

I actually lived in Boyton Beach for a year in 2003.

Was not for me but the place was great. Right next to Boca Raton.

Cheers................

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
when i said there are no colmados..
i meant
that you cannot just pick up the phone and order an egg and a carton of milk and two rolls and have them at your door in three minutes

but there is shopping shopping shopping

omg.. do americans SHOP.. (I was on a binge shop since I had to hippie furnish the place with a blow up mattress
two lawn chairs, a folding table, three chairs - only three matched- and, of course, a new dishwasher)

i did find the handyman/neighbor and bought the paint.. got the carpet cleaned,.. turned the electric on in my name..
prepaid the handyman so that he will go and close the hurricane shutters if the winds blow

there has not been a big one there since 2004 but, of course, that means it is overdue, right?

Adrianna is keeping my puppy.. which was a hard choice for me.. but it really would not be much of a life for him
in the park..there is no dog park and Florida is hot so I could not leave him in a car or take him camping because they are not that dog
friendly..... She has known him all his life and he adores her.. and her kids.. and he guards the shop for her, and runs up to her
grandson when he starts crying.. so he is BUSY.. which he needs to be..

This is made much harder by the fact that every second commercial on US TV is about dogs.. (Did you know that they say that Americans spend more
on their pets than on their children? I do not think this can be true.. not if you factor in the taxes for school and costs for college and ipads and phone
plans)...

But now I have to just suck it up and do without dog love for a time.. have to make do with humans..

a poor second.. or third or fourth, perhaps after cats and turtles.. but it will give me more freedom.

(and since I gave away my two last dogs I have to admit that I no longer a fit dog guardian) I have left FIRM
instructions with my sister to STOP me from volunteering at the shelter which would be like a drunk getting a job at a bar.

Also.. my landlady wants to sell the apartment.. so it was a carrot and stick sorta thing. ...

Plus.. I never did get my residency. I did go back to the US to get my FBI record like the lawyer said to do and it came back "Yes, this person has a record"

Did not say what. Did not say.. for instance.. 17 years for aggravated assault..(not)

or.. rather... 2 days for criminal trespass into the bombing range on Vieques (guilty)

so.. since that was my third try, I just gave it up and figured I was not meant to be here.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Oh, Elizabeth...

well, you got yourself situated.... near Trump, I expect !! (cover your ears for a scream to end all screams)

Sorry to hear but happy you're happy.....

Isn't there a freeze dried hippie website where all of you trade and exchange stuff - no buying or selling in that crowd
that would be too ...... mainstream.... huh, MA??

All kidding aside,
take care of yourself, check in now & then

Start a blog on the move and move-in..... so we can follow your progress.

Best of luck.....

xo

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Enjoy yourself Annie.

I actually lived in Boyton Beach for a year in 2003.

Was not for me but the place was great. Right next to Boca Raton.

Cheers................

I am north of there.. not Boynton but closer to Lake Worth.. I pegged it by where my sister is (Boynton) and where the Quaker Meeting is in Lake Worth.
Also there is a very cool little jumper airline twice a week back to Asheville, NC which is where the bulk of my peeps are.. it flies twice a week..So that makes
it feel closer to home. Also have cousins across the swamp in Tampa. Just seemed like the place. I could not do winter again after 12 years here. LOTS of ethnicities
there... Funny, really, there is a Presidente supermarket on one corner in which I was the ONLY white person...(people dancing in the aisles to bachate) and where there were all the root veggies --then across the
street was the giant Publix which makes me sorta hyperventilate... So I will be OK... lots of Caribbean flavor there.. plus Asian.. a veggie market stand with veggies I have NEVER
seen.. not EVER.. but they had the little fig bananas.. and even Dominican avocados.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Oh, Elizabeth...

well, you got yourself situated.... near Trump, I expect !! (cover your ears for a scream to end all screams)

Sorry to hear but happy you're happy.....

Isn't there a freeze dried hippie website where all of you trade and exchange stuff - no buying or selling in that crowd
that would be too ...... mainstream.... huh, MA??

All kidding aside,
take care of yourself, check in now & then

Best of luck.....

xo

oh,, thanks.. that is a good idea.. to blog it.. because I am really stuck.. maybe that will move me..

Most of my stuff is already spoken for.. among friends.. just hard to decide on how much to ship and at what cost.. books, mostly..

and where to send the ones that I don't want.

I have a pretty impressive library of books on Haiti- but in English-- and I know that shipping them back will probably cost as much as buying
them new.. Maybe I will call Centro Bono..??? Funglode said they might be interested but.. I am not sure.. that

wow.. I am really almost as attached to the books as to the dog.. there is perhaps something a bit off with that.

and I will miss you all .. even though I have never met most of you!!

There is perhaps more of a chance that I will meet you in Palm Beach than Santo Domingo.. Who knows?

but that does not mean that I will completely desert you.. I mean.. 12 years certainly is a chunk of time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Oh, Elizabeth...

Best of luck.....

xo

Sounds like a great idea. I have always enjoyed your posts on DR1. A blog would be fantastic and most likely help those who follow in your footsteps.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
This is a terrible loss! Although we never met in person, I have always enjoyed your thoughtful and cogent posts and felt that the DR was a better place for having you in it. Best of luck with your move! You will be missed.

Drak

Jul 7, 2015
I will be leaving Santo Domingo...

Sorry to hear as well, even though we've never met either!

Question or two though if I may:

1. Why not stick it out and see what happens, beyond the 'carrot & stick thingy'?
2. When they denied your application, did they indicate you're not allowed to come back?

Sounds like you have a lot invested in here over that time...

Either way, best luck in the decisions and travels!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Sorry to hear as well, even though we've never met either!

Question or two though if I may:

1. Why not stick it out and see what happens, beyond the 'carrot & stick thingy'?
2. When they denied your application, did they indicate you're not allowed to come back?

Sounds like you have a lot invested in here over that time...

Either way, best luck in the decisions and travels!

Ah Drak.. 12 years is a lifetime!! and I have been sticking it out really for the last 2 or three of them

they did not deny me the application for residency.. just that it all seemed so ridiculous.. I had started the process three times and each time
the government changed the regulations in the middle of my application and so I had to start over again. More lawyer fees. More trips to immigration

In the end.. really.. I simply lost respect for the process.. I mean this is a country that changed its constitution from about Thursday to Monday so why was I going through
all these hoops to be "legal" -- I have a lease on an apartment, health insurance, three bank accounts.. the only thing that I am missing is a driver's license.

But.. in the end.. I am not Dominican.

I think it is perhaps a lot easier for a man to settle down here -- If I were a man, I think it would be easy for me to fall for a Dominican woman.. they are lovely..

Alas.. not so easy for an American woman.. and a feminist.. .. to fall for a Dominican man.. (and I am STILL, alas, a failed lesbian, despite all my intellectual longings to become one)
There is simply a disconnect..
And really - honestly.. most Dominican men want the gringa to get the visa to get out of here, right?

Not that I am looking for a man.. I am actually NOT looking for a man

but life as a single female here.. alas.. well.. not so easy.. really.. not

It was fine when I was working, reporting.. but in the end I ran out of feel good stories.. and the only really juicy story is the one on drugs or sugar cane and either one will get you in
a lot of trouble here..

so..

and, of course, I still have folks back in the USA....

Jan 7, 2016
Best of luck to you in your future endeavors! I have enjoyed your post since 2011 and find them informative and educational beyond belief! Best Wishes!

Aug 6, 2006
Mountain Annie is sure to miss mountains in Palm Beach County.
The highest points in South Florida are freeway flyovers and several Mount Trashmores.

Best wishes to you, mountainannie.