Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Santiago, searching for a penthouse rental with no garante

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Edited by Robert:

Progress, you're getting it.

Bitching wins you no friends, I thought you would have worked that out by now.

Thanks
    Last edited by Robert; 09-25-2016 at 09:51 AM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Gibson View Post
    I have been looking for a couple of weeks now for a penthouse in Santiago that will accept my money without a garante. I have a budge of 25,000 RD per month and am willing to make the 3 month initial payment.
    There are not that many penthouses in Santiago, and as someone who has previously looked for one, I seriously doubt any are within the 25K/mo budget. For the guarantor, you can search for a friendly realtor among your social circle - a prospect of a commission and a couple if common friends are usually enough to convince them to be your guarantor (my experience anyway).

Post Thanks / Like

Timothy:
    I get more than that from a two bedroom apartment.
    I have a two bedroom apartment in an excellent district that rents for US1,200.

You might get a pigeon roost for that price...

I am afraid that you will have to look outside of Santiago for anything close to that.

Sorry to be such a spoilsport. Rentals are difficult. Most of my places are occupied for years.

I am not an RE agent, but I can put you into contact with a couple of good ones if you wish...

Cordially,

HB

Moderator DR1.com

4. Likes jinty05, Frank the Tank liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have another website for you if you are looking for places to live.
    http://www.mercadolibre.com.do/

BUT,
    Finding a good house/apartment rental and capable realtor isn't easy.
    I had been looking for place to move but each and every time I tried it becomes more difficult.
    I really want to move out of my current house due to our growing urge to move away from our vecina's washing machine noise, rabbit dropping smells, water pump consistently on for 24 hrs and etc...
    And let's not forget about very questionable electricity and water bills.
    I am getting $10500 and $8900 for electricity past two months and $2900 water bill is norm on house that is half empty most of the days with one AC on at night.
    Since it felt like corotos/mercadolibre seems like easiest way to look for a rentals.
    I had left my number on several posting on both websites but it gets really frustrating when I don't know when/if I am going to get the call
    or when some random guy calls me several days/weeks later on very inconvenient hours, just to say that he doesn't have house I was looking at but he has an another apartment that I can have a look.

G/L with your house hunt, and without guarantor it isn't going to be any easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Update, thanks everyone for your input. I was able to obtain a garante

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Gibson View Post
    Update, thanks everyone for your input. I was able to obtain a garante
    Great!

But did you find a penthouse for $25000? If so, where?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that high price.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that solid price.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JayinRD View Post
    I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that solid price.
    Santiago is not a tourist destination and its short term (anything up to 3 months) rental market is almost non-existent (recently with Airbnb it's getting better). So you get a lot of outliers, like really high prices or really crappy places for the price. Landlords want 6 or better 12 month leases minimum and once you are willing to sign for that term, there are thousands of options.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VJS View Post
    Santiago is not a tourist destination and its short term (anything up to 3 months) rental market is almost non-existent (recently with Airbnb it's getting better). So you get a lot of outliers, like really high prices or really crappy places for the price. Landlords want 6 or better 12 month leases minimum and once you are willing to sign for that term, there are thousands of options.
    this is true. and if you can do the Blammo! 6 month upfront or 12(although I wouldnt do 12, just because it hinders you if you want to get another place on your own pace and not wait out the entire year). then you should be able to find something suitable. the only caveat is many of these people have no idea how to compromise or negotiate so in some circumstances to them it makes better sense for a building or an entire floor to be vacant for that full year as opposed to making a concession for your 6 months upfront money.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast