Santiago: Penthouse Rental With No Garantee

Timothy Gibson

Sep 20, 2016
I have been looking for a couple of weeks now for a penthouse in Santiago that will accept my money without a garante. I have a budge of 25,000 RD per month and am willing to make the 3 month initial payment.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A penthouse, close to an earthquake fault, in a country with questionable building practices? At least you'll be on the top of the pile. Good luck.

Try a good search in Spanish for what you are looking for. You'll get Spanish results but most adverts will be in Spanish anyways.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Timothy,

"good" in my reply above should be "google".

Fingers not working well today.

Timothy Gibson

Sep 20, 2016
Thanks people, I will continue my search! Question, as most things are influenced by money in this country, is it possible to offer money to a person to serve as a garante?

If anyone reading this is in Santiago and knows a person who would accept a modest amount of pesos to be my garante (co-signer) for an apartment please contact me, thanks!

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Unless you have proof of a reliable source of income from a Dominican company
or family located here who can pick up the tap should you decide to cut and run...
you will probably have a very difficult time finding someone to co sign or guarantee
a penthouse.

Perhaps you should consider just renting an apartment for 6 months and
establishing a good rental history/ references before opting for something
a little more expensive.

Good luck.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I have been looking for a couple of weeks now for a penthouse in Santiago that will accept my money without a garante. I have a budge of 25,000 RD per month and am willing to make the 3 month initial payment.

Go on vrbo.com, vacation rental by owner. There are many listings including some top floor places. Your welcome. Good luck and good travels.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Edited by Robert:

Progress, you're getting it.

Bitching wins you no friends, I thought you would have worked that out by now.

Thanks ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

There are not that many penthouses in Santiago, and as someone who has previously looked for one, I seriously doubt any are within the 25K/mo budget. For the guarantor, you can search for a friendly realtor among your social circle - a prospect of a commission and a couple if common friends are usually enough to convince them to be your guarantor (my experience anyway).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Timothy:
I get more than that from a two bedroom apartment.
I have a two bedroom apartment in an excellent district that rents for US1,200.

You might get a pigeon roost for that price...

I am afraid that you will have to look outside of Santiago for anything close to that.

Sorry to be such a spoilsport. Rentals are difficult. Most of my places are occupied for years.

I am not an RE agent, but I can put you into contact with a couple of good ones if you wish...

Cordially,

HB

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I have another website for you if you are looking for places to live.
http://www.mercadolibre.com.do/

BUT,
Finding a good house/apartment rental and capable realtor isn't easy.
I had been looking for place to move but each and every time I tried it becomes more difficult.
I really want to move out of my current house due to our growing urge to move away from our vecina's washing machine noise, rabbit dropping smells, water pump consistently on for 24 hrs and etc...
And let's not forget about very questionable electricity and water bills.
I am getting $10500 and $8900 for electricity past two months and $2900 water bill is norm on house that is half empty most of the days with one AC on at night.
Since it felt like corotos/mercadolibre seems like easiest way to look for a rentals.
I had left my number on several posting on both websites but it gets really frustrating when I don't know when/if I am going to get the call
or when some random guy calls me several days/weeks later on very inconvenient hours, just to say that he doesn't have house I was looking at but he has an another apartment that I can have a look.

G/L with your house hunt, and without guarantor it isn't going to be any easier.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that high price.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that solid price.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I dont understand the Santiago rental market. I visit the RD every 3-4 months and my rental budget is about $1,000 a month. I would stay in Santiago but there is never anything decent like there is on the North and South coast. And dont tell me $1,000 for the month is too little for something nice. I dont know why the locals dont try to rent out their nice apartment places for that solid price.

Santiago is not a tourist destination and its short term (anything up to 3 months) rental market is almost non-existent (recently with Airbnb it's getting better). So you get a lot of outliers, like really high prices or really crappy places for the price. Landlords want 6 or better 12 month leases minimum and once you are willing to sign for that term, there are thousands of options.

Apr 7, 2014
Santiago is not a tourist destination and its short term (anything up to 3 months) rental market is almost non-existent (recently with Airbnb it's getting better). So you get a lot of outliers, like really high prices or really crappy places for the price. Landlords want 6 or better 12 month leases minimum and once you are willing to sign for that term, there are thousands of options.

this is true. and if you can do the Blammo! 6 month upfront or 12(although I wouldnt do 12, just because it hinders you if you want to get another place on your own pace and not wait out the entire year). then you should be able to find something suitable. the only caveat is many of these people have no idea how to compromise or negotiate so in some circumstances to them it makes better sense for a building or an entire floor to be vacant for that full year as opposed to making a concession for your 6 months upfront money.