Shipping Container Help Needed

Cole Harbke

Jun 16, 2015
I can find info on shipping companies but nothing on what I can and can't bring, how to pack

(some countries won't let you use boxes that have markings on it, like a home depot label) are there any restrictions about mixing items in boxes?

I had a friend who moved to another country where they required everything in its own box like sheets in one box and blankets in another.

Anyone ever bring a container?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I've used various companies, but Embarque Bella Vista in NYC was the best. They re-packed everything (furniture, kitchen stuff, linens, clothes, books, etc.) and it arrived when they said it would. I think my stuff took up a quarter of the container, plus or minus.

Your shipping company will be able to tell you limitations/regulations. I think you can't bring flammables (like full gas cans or kerosene lamps)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I may be mistaken, but I thought the question was for a full container - 20' or 40'

Benchmark is for full loads.......mudanzas (Embarque) are LTL's... less than load
Consolidators, actually.

My 40' was about $4200.... Jan 2009

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Unique markings.

If goods/materials are of enough volume to fill an ocean container they do not have to be marked. However, it is best to place some unique marking or tag on each item shipped LCL, less than container load, and include those items shipped FCL, full container load, The reason being, especially if household goods Customs will empty the container at the port to inspect the packages and contents. The unique markings on the goods will assist to identify and separate the shipment from others that may be within the container(lcl) or other full containerized shipments laid out at the Customs inspection area.

It is best to use a marking such as a name with a number for markings, Like "Mary22" An address is not necessary. A good freight forwarder will notate the marking on all related shipping and export documents. If you have an lcl shipment, number each carton. For example: a ten carton shipment will be numbered, carton #1 of 10, carton #2 of 10, and so on and so forth.

Regards,

PJT

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Always good advice PJT

In my case, a full container, they wouldn't open it until I arrived.
It was sealed in my presence in PHL and opened at Caucedo in my presence.
BTW, use Caucedo whenever possible.

The dock official had my list and spot checked the shipment (hence PJT's label idea is a good one)

At the RD end I used Hispaniola Freight - Wendoline.
They are a HUGE help - just carry a pocketful of 100 peso notes for the various 'officials'

Hispaniola is worth a call to see if they can do the whole shipment for you.
They are in Sto Domingo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can find info on shipping companies but nothing on what I can and can't bring, how to pack

(some countries won't let you use boxes that have markings on it, like a home depot label) are there any restrictions about mixing items in boxes?

I had a friend who moved to another country where they required everything in its own box like sheets in one box and blankets in another.

Anyone ever bring a container?

Just FYI. Are you aware that if you ship said container within six months of getting Dominican residency, the taxes are cut drastically?

Cole Harbke

Jun 16, 2015
Just FYI. Are you aware that if you ship said container within six months of getting Dominican residency, the taxes are cut drastically?

Thanks for the heads up! I thought I had a year. I picked up my Cedula in may, I better get cracking.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No limitations that I remember.....
I had a car and household effects.

Try Benchmark..........
http://benchmarkexport.com/

I used them..... Stephanie- but that was 2008/9

No M1A2 tanks, rocket launchers... Wait, sorry.

No firearms or ammo of any kind and probably they won't want you to take anything flammable.
When I did my move many years ago they did not seem to want any liquids at all.
I brought the contents of a 4 bedroom 3 bath house down when I moved.

I had paid for a complete move door to door including all packing and unpacking.

Of course, the locals contracted to do the work refused to unpack without more money, so I sent them quickly away.

Cole Harbke

Jun 16, 2015
anyone brought a container into the north coast?

We are moving to the puerto plata area, the port that was recommended is on the south coast. Any good reason to ship into the south then truck to the north? Logic would dictate that we ship directly to the north coast but maybe there is a good reason not to

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We are moving to the puerto plata area, the port that was recommended is on the south coast. Any good reason to ship into the south then truck to the north? Logic would dictate that we ship directly to the north coast but maybe there is a good reason not to

As far as I know, all containers go to south coast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
biggest reason to avoid Pto Plata is that the Customs official lectured us all on the corruption at it.

Caucedo is the best - was in 2008/9.
Haina is spooky too, I hear