Dominican Stepchild

Copley

Feb 19, 2002
My wife received a visa last August and has been living in the US since September. We have recently received an appointment for a visa interview for her Dominican daughter (my stepdaughter). What type of forms (asides from the I-130, I-864, etc) will be required for my stepdaughter to immigrate to the US? I imagine that the Embassy and/or Dominican law will require some sort of signed affidavit from the child's natural father in order to leave the country with her mother. Does anyone have any experience with these sorts of matters? Thanks in advance.

Fulano

Jan 31, 2002
Maybe .

Copley, do you think all parties would agree (and circumstances would allow ) for you to legally adopt the child? If this is the case, I know someone who has recently gone through this and may be able to answer specific questions in this scenario. I'll check with him tomorrow...

Copley

Feb 19, 2002
Thank you to those who responded. I would rather not have to go through adoption proceedings because 1) the cost, hassle, and time involved (with an adoption, a period of 90 days must elapse before the child can leave the country) and 2) the I-130 has already been approved by the INS on the basis that I am sponsoring my step daughter (the interview at the Embassy is this April). Thus, from an INS/US law standpoint, adoption doesn't appear to be necessary. I would prefer to have some sort of guardianship awarded to me or have the biological father (who has never had custody of the child) relinquish his parental rights (no problems there). Using the link Dolores provided, I was able to determine that I will probably need the following:

1. Relinquishment of parental rights executed before appropriate Dominican authority.
2. Authorization from a Judge to permit the minor to leave the Dominican Republic

These requirements appear to be set forth under C?digo para La Protecci?n de Ni?os, Ni?as, y Adolescentes ? Ley 14-94.

Any thoughts/suggestions?