Best Area to Live in SD

SEO

Aug 3, 2012
i am looking to rent between 1,500 to 2,500 dollar per month what are the best are to rent.

i was told those area good ??
Piantini
naco

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I lived in Piantini in the 92-95's. I liked it because it was close to Plaza Central. I was there two years ago and thought how I ever could have liked that place. I would say Aroyo Hondo, los Pinos, but maybe the budget might not to be enough.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I lived in Piantini in the 92-95's. I liked it because it was close to Plaza Central. I was there two years ago and thought how I ever could have liked that place. I would say Aroyo Hondo, los Pinos, but maybe the budget might not to be enough.

The OP's budget is 1,500 to 2,500 dollar per month. Has Arroyo Hondo really gotten that expensive?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
i am looking to rent between 1,500 to 2,500 dollar per month what are the best are to rent.

i was told those area good ??
Piantini
naco

Depends what's important to you. I lived first in Piantini 7 years ago and would never consider it unless i never had to leave to go anywhere because of traffic, even then the noise factor is a huge concern as well.
What do you need in an accommodation? where do you work? what do you like doing? I live in the outskirts of El Limon (less than 3 kms from Piantini) and its close enough yet far enough. Easy to get of town.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
My personal favorite is Gazcue and specifically right on the Malecone. You can find a beautiful condo directly on the Malecone for that budget with incredible views to the ocean.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I lived in Torre Veiramar II and on the Malecon, it's very well run, very safe, and you will definitely get a place with two bedrooms and a maid's room for US$ 2000 a month, including the maintenance charge. The ocean views are amazing, but the downsides are the noise from traffic on the Malecon (so get an apartment as high as you can) and very little in the immediate area (not the safest walk if you run out of milk). I wouldn't recommend Naco or Piantini, way too much traffic and no views. I have always fancied living in Bella Vista, opposite Mirador del Sur, very quiet and from the highest apartments you still get the ocean view, plus the park right opposite. Again you will be spoilt for choice for US$ 2000 a month. My other suggestion is the Colonial Zone, there is a lot to rent there. Benefits are that you can walk anywhere reasonably safely, you have the Nacional Supermarket and Cuesta in the Conde and hundreds of restaurants. You could look at Narai or Castillo Colonial on the 19th of March, both very safe, nice and have good pools. And again these are easily in your price band. I don't recommend Arroyo Hondo, there are very nice parts and rough parts and the combination of the two tends to lead to quite a lot of crime.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I wouldn't live in Naco or Piantini because of the constant traffic jam. Los Cacicazgos is the best in my opinion. I live in Las Praderas and like it as well, not as good as Los Cacicazgos but much closer to the city center.

El Mill?n (I, not II) is fine as well.

Arroyo Hondo is terrible to get out or in during peak hours.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
There are nice areas more east, like Naco or Piantini or more west as mentioned above Los cacicasgos, Millon (personally never liked Millon).
You might want to check out if you want to be as far west as Cacicasgos because for me it is too far from things/places I like to visit.
I spent 6 1/2 years in various parts of the capital but gave it up for Santiago where I am much happier (MUCH less traffic).

Good luck in your search!

SEO

Aug 3, 2012
I'll be working from home that means I cannot have any kind of noise because I'm doing a lot of audio production/ how is the noise in the area i mention just curious .

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I'll be working from home that means I cannot have any kind of noise because I'm doing a lot of audio production/ how is the noise in the area i mention just curious .

Well that changes the thinking.

Frankly the central city areas are noisy through the late hours simply because of traffic noise and the density of apartments.

Some of the better areas have been mentioned and of those and on the basis you need to rule out Naco, Piantini , El Millon, Gazcue and the central part of Bella Vista imo.

Closer to the north side of Mirador Del Sur park is likely to be the quietest areas and between the southern side of Bella Vista and to Los Cacicazgos close to Av Anacoana is my recommendation.

There are some quieter areas as you move further away from the city and the sea but alongside virtually all those areas lies a less desirable barrio and noise. You would need to check out location to be sure.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

If noise is an issue, you may want to consider living outside the city. I?ve never been anywhere in
Santo Domingo that didn?t have noise at some hour of the day. Good luck.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If noise is an issue, you may want to consider living outside the city. I?ve never been anywhere in
Santo Domingo that didn?t have noise at some hour of the day. Good luck.

Agreed and especially difficult for the OP to rent without seeing and checking out the area.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I live not far from the central part of the city (about three blocks from Nunez de Caceres) and even though I live close to Privada, a kind of busy street, in and around my place there is almost a complete silence. Except for one neighbor playing music on Saturdays now and then. I'm still always surprised when I arrive at our residencial how quiet it is, AND close to about everything.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007

If you don't mind my asking, given that you're working from home, have you looked at areas outside of La Capital?

I mean, if noise is a concern, just about anywhere other than Santo Domingo would be far quieter. And frankly, less expensive.

Santiago's a real city with solid amenities, and is only about two hours from the center of Santo Domingo.

The East Coast is touristy, but quiet. Also 24/7 power and solid roads. Further, there's a huge expat community there, if you don't speak Spanish.

Las Terrenas is downright quiet outside of town, and quite beautiful.

And you could get a condo on/really close to the beach in Cabarete or Sosua for 2k, easily.

Other, smaller towns offer less, but you could probably live, rather comfortably, off the same money you're just allocating for housing.

My point is, there are many great options other than living in Santo Domingo, especially if you're not tied there by business, school and/or family.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

You shouldn't live on a busy street (best with one that has no exit), not close to any Colmados or parks which will have loud music on all 250 Dominican holidays, not near a school, no new construction (better if no bare lots that can turn into new construction).
I suggest you visit any potential location morning, midday and night, midweek and weekends. Watch out for loud neighbors either in their house or those that like to blast ear drum penetrating music from 5 miles away.
I am sure I missed some other potential problem areas but it's a start.

Good Luck!